the home of the turntable

Garrard 60b

the jewel in the crown

Garrard 60b

Postby mzsoffian » 13 Dec 2017 09:36

Dear all,

I'm looking for anyone that have contact or selling Garrard 60b TT motor. mine has burned out and i'm not sure if the motor can be repair. #-o
The motor should be 240v.

Please Help.

Thank you.
mzsoffian

Malaysia

Re: Garrard 60b

Postby DSJR » 13 Dec 2017 21:24

The 60B looked to be basically an SL65B without the SL (synchro-lab) motor and instead, fitted with a four pole motor. If I'm correct, any of the Garrard motors with this fitting should fit (look at the number stamped on the bottom of the bottom bearing cap, the innards are the same). The motor PULLEY should be retained from the old motor. This period saw introduction of the *Series 2* motor which was slimmer in profile and perhaps more cost-effective to manufacture - longevity doesn't seem to be an issue with these however.

One thing regarding motor pulleys. The synchro-Lab motor rotates at a different speed to the four pole motor and as a result, the pulleys are different as I found when I converted my 60mk2 to basically an SL65 and couldn't locate a 50hz pulley (I eventually found one from South St Services in the US of all places).

Hope this helps. The mechanism will need a good seeing to if it hasn't ever been done and the arm is fine with modern 2g to 3g tracking cartridges such as the evergreen AT95E (if the amp will work with a magnetic cartridge type) as long as the mechanism and especially the trip pawls on the main cam are serviced and reassembled with NO lubricant so they rattle freely.

I'm sure you've now discovered this to your cost, but these motors are basically the same - two 120V coils wired in parallel for 120V and series for 240V and as I'm sure you're aware, there should hopefully be a terminal block with links which are set to the two voltages, unless this is a custom model pre-ordered for one voltage and then possibly wired at the switch? A70BBen will confirm I hope.
DSJR
long player
long player

United Kingdom

Postby A70BBen » 14 Dec 2017 18:06

Not sure about Garrard 60B but the low (120 volt nominal) version of the motor as sold in the USA did not have the voltage changeover block but came wired for low voltage only. This goes back to the early 1960s and the USA version of the AT6 Mk II.

The USA version AT6 Mk II imported by British Industries Corp. also had other differences from the AT6 Mk II sold in the UK and Australia...even the badges differed. I don't know about Canada which had its own importer, Charles Pointon. Garrards sold in different territories often had subtle, or not-so-subtle, changes. Newer Garrards from the A70 and Lab 80 also lacked voltage changeover. It returned some years later on the DD75, GT55 and GT35...they had a dual-voltage power transformer.

However the 60B was not sold by the official USA importer, only the SL65B with synchronous motor.
A70BBen

Postby DSJR » 15 Dec 2017 15:25

I think the 60B may have been an OEM model supplied to 'music centre' style units rather than a separates piece. I think by then the motors were connected via plugs and sockets on the coils. Hopefully this should make for an easier replacement as long as the terminal or switch wiring is set correctly for the local voltage.
DSJR
long player
long player

United Kingdom

Postby A70BBen » 15 Dec 2017 17:27

The 60B was catalogued as a separates item in the UK and Australia, though listed with lower stature than its cousin the SL65B...you had to look for it!

The original poster being in Malaysia, it could be from the Australian distributor.

Burned-out motor bobbins could be replaced, back in the day when Garrard was still in business. You could order them from Service and Spares in Swindon, but not from the USA importer. Here in the States, it was always easier to get a used motor off a unit which had been dropped, or abused and broken.

If the OP can locate a proper-voltage or dual-voltage four-pole motor for 50/60 Mk II, SL55/65, SL55B/SL65B, SP25 Mk I-IV, it can probably be swapped in directly, by using the plugs. Older models may require exchanging the entire wiring harness. But the motor and its original pulley must remain together...the SL models and SP25 Mk IV have synchronous motors which spin faster, but they would be an upgrade. DSJR has done that, and I upgraded a 50 Mk II with SL55 motor, SL65 tonearm and heavy cast platter, and for appearance, an overarm from an AT60. It is now effectively an SL65 except for its nameplate badge and not having antiskate, which with the lateral friction in the Autoslim chassis, I would turn off at 3 grams or less anyway.
A70BBen

Postby DSJR » 16 Dec 2017 15:30

Oh I dunno, a WELL SERVICED 60b/SP25 III/65b should be able to do justice to the anti-skate adjustment which is variable a little on these models. the amount of correction given isn't quite enough, and I found that a 2g tracking cartridge needed the control set to 4 or even 5 depending on the sample. Conversely, my Zero 100 has almost double the correction via its magnetic arrangement and I dare not try to tune it out as the cover trims are stuck firmly in place and all too easily damaged.

Apologies, we're getting into too fine a point here and drifting terribly. Depending on the plinth base used by this deck, an earlier motor might not fit as it's deeper on the bottom rotor bearing housing.

Gawd, I hope all this helps.....
DSJR
long player
long player

United Kingdom

Return to Garrard