the home of the turntable

Garrard SL95 missing headshell

the jewel in the crown

Re: Garrard SL95 missing headshell

Postby ivokunc » 14 Dec 2017 21:55

No, i didn't check with a voltmeter the motor, but when the needle first time touch the record the speed of the motor go down really slow for a moment and there is sag, yes! end then a light "click" comes from the mechanism and the speed becomes normal.
ivokunc

United States of America

Postby A70BBen » 15 Dec 2017 02:17

Probably nothing is wrong. At the very end of cycle, the SL95 mechanism (and all models on the same chassis) goes into a detent at its neutral position. This detent (the "click") requires force to engage it, slowing the platter momentarily.

If this is what's happening, it is normal.
A70BBen

Postby ivokunc » 15 Dec 2017 05:16

So the end of the cycle on the automatic mode is the moment when the needle land on the record, right? I wouldn't get this sag if for any reason the tonearm didn't lend couple groves inside of the record so the sag was really noticeable because of the music.
Thank you, BBen and cheers!!
Ivo.
ivokunc

United States of America

Postby A70BBen » 15 Dec 2017 07:07

On the SL95 (and SL75 and AP75), yes!

On the later models...SL95B, SL75B, SL72B, AP76, the Zeros, etc., the tonearm descends slower, because it is linked to the silicone damping of the cueing device; so in most of them, the stylus does not touch the record until after the main gear/cam is in its detent. So on those, you usually would not notice the sag in the platter speed.
A70BBen

Postby ivokunc » 25 Dec 2017 19:14

A70BBen, Merry Christmas to you and your family!!
ivokunc

United States of America

Postby ivokunc » 25 Dec 2017 19:15

Dave, Merry Christmas I wish you all goods!!
Ivo.
ivokunc

United States of America

Postby A70BBen » 25 Dec 2017 21:07

Merry Christmas to you and yours, ivokunc!

Back some decades the tradition was to get out the Christmas records to play during the season...especially stacked on record changers. In many homes this was the only time the record changer saw use. Our record changer business in December was prodigious...several times that of other months, and a lot of it was degreasing and relubrication. Garrard, BSR, Dual, Magnavox, V-M, Zenith, GE, Lesa, Webcor...we saw them all! Elac Miracord and Miraphon were the least-frequent visitors. I always thought they were better built, with better lubricants.
A70BBen

Postby Spinner45 » 25 Dec 2017 22:38

A70BBen wrote:Probably nothing is wrong. At the very end of cycle, the SL95 mechanism (and all models on the same chassis) goes into a detent at its neutral position. This detent (the "click") requires force to engage it, slowing the platter momentarily.

If this is what's happening, it is normal.

It's normal - if the idler is slipping due to age/glazing.
It's normal - if the mechanism needs re-lubing.

Any automatic changer (including belt drives) which becomes sluggish during cycling has these problems.
The solution? - Service.
Spinner45
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby ivokunc » 26 Dec 2017 02:13

Spinner45, yes the services are done! The idler was cleaned with rubber restorer and all mechanism unassembled and lubricated. Obviously, only the new idler will cure this momentary delay.
Chears!
ivokunc

United States of America

Postby ivokunc » 26 Dec 2017 02:16

A70BBen, I wish you the whole next year to be like this last month!!
Ivo.
ivokunc

United States of America

Postby A70BBen » 26 Dec 2017 03:35

ivokunc wrote:Spinner45, yes the services are done! The idler was cleaned with rubber restorer and all mechanism unassembled and lubricated. Obviously, only the new idler will cure this momentary delay.
Chears!

The momentary slowdown is inevitable. The force required to push aside the Delrin detent lever and seat it onto the detent post is definite, and loads down the motor for an instant; then it is over and there is no more extra load on the motor until the next auto cycle. It occurs even with a brand-new idler. It occurred on the SL95 even when they were new. As you noted, if the tonearm sets down on the outer, silent grooves, you won't hear the slowdown.
A70BBen

Postby DSJR » 28 Dec 2017 15:54

Compliments of the season to all :)

The only way you should 'seriously' see a slowdown of the platter is with a stroboscope on it. If the platter nearly stops, there's something amiss I feel. The delrin cam-lock as A70BBen referred to is spring loaded and pivoted at one side and shouldn't offer so much resistance I think as it ends the cycle with a slight 'clonk' as it engages into the rest position. (the Dual 1019 in my avatar currently is almost deafening at cycle end, so loud the 'clonks' seem to be - plenty shown working on YouTube of Garrards and Duals if you want an anal giggle and loudest of all seems to be the lab 80 which was incredibly heavily built but I digress...).

My suggestion now everything has been cleaned hopefully, is to run the deck at 33rpm for a few hours, just spinning away to itself so the motor gets nice and warm :) the slight 'slippage' if there is any, may go all on its own if you're lucky...
DSJR
long player
long player

Wales

Postby ivokunc » 13 Mar 2018 05:31

Hi Dave! the upper part of the cueing lift is out of turntable, so where I should pour the damping fluid? In the hole of the treаded metal stem, or around the same stem?
Photos. Sorry this is for Sanyo tp-1030 cueing problem, not for the Garrard
Attachments
IMG_3196.JPG
ivokunc

United States of America

Postby DSJR » 13 Mar 2018 12:13

The diagram in the Sanyo service manual doesn't show it particularly clearly and it's upside down too, but the threaded stud you have left in your picture, looks to be the part that needs damping, as the underside has the 'return spring' and fixing nut coupled to what looks like the cueing lever. Don't put any damping fluid in the threaded 'hole.' You're going to have to take a magnifying glass to the assembly, including from underneath if you can get to it..
DSJR
long player
long player

Wales

Postby ivokunc » 13 Mar 2018 14:01

Yes the threaded stud is going into a bigger cylinder with a spring around it.This spring is attached to the inner stud and pull it down, so the damping fluid needs to be between this two studs i think? The problem is that in order to pull out the inner cylinder i need to disassemble the spring attachment on the bottom of the mechanism.To rеаch this, i need to disassemble the whole turntable and there is two motor mechanism and a big headache.Honestly, i don't dare to do that, but if it needs ill try it.
I'm wondering if I pull up the threaded stud with the manual lever, gently apply a heat with a heat gun (or soldering gun?) and then apply damper fluid to the outside wall of the same stud.I believe because of the heat the fluid may go down to the bigger cylinder because of the gravity??
I ordered two kind of damping fluid - 300000cst-10cc and 600000cst-10cc.
I ordered the 600000 because I'm afraid the tonearm pivot needs to be lubricated with thick damping fluid - i got bad resonance on the low frequencies when the amplifier is loaded with the knob in about 11 o'clock position.Is that right - missing damping fluid in the arm pivot is the reason for bad resonance??
Im sorry for this too long post!!
Best!
Ivo.
ivokunc

United States of America

PreviousNext

Return to Garrard