Garrard zero 100 - ? Replacement tonearm

the jewel in the crown
Bruce Dowd

Garrard zero 100 - ? Replacement tonearm

Post by Bruce Dowd » 21 Nov 2017 12:54

I have picked up a zero 100 at a reasonable price, however on delivery it appears that the Perspex section of the tonearm has been damaged, looks broken at the base .
The rest of the turntable looks pretty good , whilst the platter doesn’t turn - the strobe light does turn on.
I have overhauled a few Dual turntables and I feel some cleaning and re greasing etc will fix this motor issue.

Any thoughts on the damaged arm ? Repairable or should I look for a replacement ( ? Anyone out there have one they would like to sell to me ).

Also are there any guides on overhauling the zero 100 available. The Dual community had some brilliant ones.
Cheers in advance for any advice.
Bruce
Sydney Oz

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Re: Garrard zero 100 - ? Replacement tonearm

Post by DSJR » 21 Nov 2017 15:31

There are plenty of threads in the past here regarding stripping down these models - the Zero 100 was a refined version of the SL75B and 95B and had lighter and more delicate trip parts to start with, to go with the posher looking tonearm (I think the 75B and 95B were refined later along similar lines, but my 95B decades ago was a very late one and I've not seen an early 'B' type underneath). Where with Dual, it's recommended to strip out fully, I'd say with these Garrards it's all but essential, as the greases harden badly, especially around the speed change mechanism and start-stop lever under the platter and riveted spindles can rotate and fine parts break if they're forced. My Zero was very badly gummed up but came back together beautifully, but you'll need patience, also in getting hold of the replacement part you need.

Regarding tonearm parts, try South Street services - you never know... Otherwise eBay sometimes comes up trumps.

First though, you need to look at the service and owner manuals here, carefully remove the platter (the mat should come unstuck easily - make a note which way it comes off - I can explain later ;) - and the fixing clip can then be got at to check the idler, motor spindle and main bearing as well as the often stuck start-stop lever. I have some pics in my gallery showing my partly dismantled AP76 and in many important respects it's the same as the Zero.

A70BBen

Post by A70BBen » 22 Nov 2017 07:03

The Perspex portion of the tonearm, if it broke off cleanly without the break being bent or distored, could be reglued. I would use epoxy that would fully harden; the 24-hour variety is generally stronger than the quick-setting types.

On a Zero 100 the Perspex supports the magnet with sliding shield for the antiskating, and provides a stop that prevents the auxiliary side sub-arm from being lifted off its unipivot...but in use, gravity holds down the sub-arm, anyway. The rest of the tonearm pivotry on the Zero 100 is completely separate from the Perspex.

On a Zero 100C, the Perspex housing also includes the tonearm cycle counter.

A70BBen

Post by A70BBen » 22 Nov 2017 17:45

UPDATE: There is currently a Perspex housing for the Zero 100C, new and unused, on the famous auction site. You could remove the cycle counter and use it on your Zero 100.

It is being sold by a reliable Garrard/Dual service center with whom I have dealt before.

Search field: GARRARD ZERO 100C COUNTER ANTI SKATE GIMBEL --NEW PART NEVER USED OR MOUNTED