the home of the turntable

Garrard SP25 mkII automatic pickup return setting

the jewel in the crown

Garrard SP25 mkII automatic pickup return setting

Postby baz1972 » 20 Nov 2017 13:59

Hi All,
I have recently acquired an sp25 mk 2 and the automatic return is not working, I know what the problem is but for the life of me I can't get the cog wheel off to get to the two brackets. Has anyone got any suggestions on how I can loosen this cog, would a small blow torch suffice ?
cheers in anticipation
Baz
baz1972

United Kingdom

Re: Garrard SP25 mkII automatic pickup return setting

Postby 11ccs » 20 Nov 2017 22:19

I had the same problem.Heat did it for me but I used a soldering iron to warm the shaft of the cog wheel and gently wiggled the wheel back and forth and it slowly came off. The spindle it surrounds had like a dried grease film,very hard and I had to remove this to get the wheel to slip back over after cleaning.Hope this helps.
11ccs

United Kingdom

Postby A70BBen » 21 Nov 2017 07:16

A small torch will work. I use a soldering iron. I wet solder onto the tip and apply to the shaft of the cog wheel; the solder aids heat transfer. The heat softens the old, dried Garrard grease. Using the technique described by 11ccs above, I hold the gear with a shop rag or wadded-up paper towel...though it doesn't get THAT hot usually...and wiggle it back and forth. Do not force it as the shaft could work loose from the chassis if you do. Once removed, the dried up grease residue needs to be cleaned completely off the shaft and the hole in the wheel, using solvent (I use acetone, Methyl Ethyl Ketone or lacquer thinner; alcohol is too slow!) If there is a black antifriction coating in the track on the bottom of the cam wheel, leave it alone, don't wash it off. Once you have the trip levers off and cleaned up (they will probably have the same dried-up yellow grease on them), leave the trip levers dry, no lubricant. Check to see that some careless worker at Swindon did not get grease on the sliding stud in the Delrin insert, under the cam wheel; it should run DRY, too. Units with no Delrin insert (Autoslim, AT5 and AT6) have just a slot in the steel chassis; Garrard said they could be lubricated with a thin film of grease but not too much; however, I prefer to run it dry, too. Either way, clean off any old grease that you find. Put a film of grease on the shaft and inside the hole of the cam wheel before reinstallation.
A70BBen

Postby DSJR » 21 Nov 2017 15:45

I also leave the trip pawls on the cam (cog wheel) dry and oil-grease free too, so they rattle on the cam. Something I've tried with success on my AT6 (early trip slider) was to add a small nylon washer at the tonearm end, where the sliding plate merely sits on a screw head the plate sliding on said washer. There was enough clearance and I'm convinced friction was reduced slightly...

As for the rest of the mechanism underneath, only the very lightest touch of grease is usually required and this mech will run all but dry if needs be. The curved 'slot' in the main plate does need a smear of grease though as the load is high here, as does the stamped out 'V' which pushes the lift-lower parts up and down
DSJR
long player
long player

United Kingdom

Return to Garrard