the home of the turntable

Garrard Type A- low Volume- Why?

the jewel in the crown

Garrard Type A- low Volume- Why?

Postby retrosonic » 13 Nov 2017 04:32

Guys, I'd like to get your take on this:

After like 15 years I pulled out my Garrard Type A turntable from 1960, gave it a good cleaning inside and out and fired it up. Motor wise and speed wise, its fine. A little rumble, but it had that in 1960 too.

The issue is this: I have two headshells. In one, I mounted my GE VR-1000 cart, in the other I mounted my Shure M7. Both have old styli in them (but I now have replacements for both).

This issue I am seeing is that both carts seem to be low in volume. I have to turn the volume on my EICO ST40 up to like 7/8 to fill the room. But, with my Rega table (Shure M91Ed), the volume fills the room at around the 4/5 position.
The GE is a bit lower in volume than the Shure M7.

I did notice that the Type A has a lot of tape on the RCA cables, I do not remember why.

What would be your take on why the volume level isnt what I expect? No hum, just lower than average volume.

All thoughts are appreciated!
retrosonic

United States of America

Re: Garrard Type A- low Volume- Why?

Postby A70BBen » 13 Nov 2017 06:16

I have no experience with the GE VR-1000 (though there is currently an active thread about it on another audio forum). The Shure M7D can put out less signal than normal if the stylus is not pushed in fully. Some aftermarket styli for the Shure M3D/M7D fit loosely and can shift outward, causing low output because the moving magnet is not in its proper position relative to the pole pieces for the generating coils.

As part of your servicing procedure, the slide-on connectors at the cartridge and the plug-in headshell-to-tonearm connector pins ahould have been cleaned of any oxidation or corrosion. A little grunge can cause problems since we are dealing with tiny signals here, a few thousandths of a volt.

Another problem could be the signal muting switch in the Type A. This would be rare; the muting switch shorts the signal to ground when the unit is in its automatic cycle and the switch contacts are pushed apart during play. I suppose they could have gotten bent, causing malfunction; but that is unlikely and even more unlikely to affect both of the stereo channels equally.
A70BBen

Postby retrosonic » 13 Nov 2017 22:36

Thank you for your reply! I will check the contacts on the mute switch.
retrosonic

United States of America

Postby DSJR » 14 Nov 2017 09:44

Just my take - the Shure M3/N21 I had tracked sibilance on more recent cuts so badly that I'd seriously consider getting an Ortofon OM Pro which likes 4g tracking or Stanton 500V3 or Pickering equivalent at 3g, which the arm should accept. If the trip linkage and friction lever is really good at side-end, a Rega carbon or even AT95E at 2g might possibly work with luck, but I admit I never tried this.
DSJR
long player
long player

Wales

Postby DSJR » 14 Nov 2017 09:44

Just my take - the Shure M3/N21 I had tracked sibilance on more recent cuts so badly that I'd seriously consider getting an Ortofon OM Pro which likes 4g tracking or Stanton 500V3 or Pickering equivalent at 3g, which the arm should accept. If the trip linkage and friction lever is really good at side-end, a Rega carbon or even AT95E at 2g might possibly work with luck, but I admit I never tried this.
DSJR
long player
long player

Wales

Return to Garrard