Setting proper stylus pressure - Garrard zero100

the jewel in the crown
Dadrepus

Setting proper stylus pressure - Garrard zero100

Post by Dadrepus » 11 Feb 2019 04:07

So, picked up a Gerrard zero 100 a while back and just got round to doing the clean up and reassemble/ regreasing. I must say everything seems to run pretty good. I have 1 concern. I followed the manual in setting up the old cart/new needle-Pickering vx-15 but it has the brush on the end. I compensated for the brush by using the counterweight instead of the slide because the slide would have had tracking at 3.5. I did not use my stylus force gauge to set the weight as the brush is in the way. I turned the nob clockwise just enough for the needle to be slightly above a record without touching and then set the slider to 1.5. It seems to track fine. Did I do this right?

The hardest thing in this rebuild was soldering those damn little wires back on underneath the plinth so I could get some sound. My god how does one strip those wires.... I had a heck of a time :lol:

Total cost $50 for TT, $40 for needle. Not bad I say.

Spinner45
long player
long player

Re: Setting proper stylus pressure - Garrard zero100

Post by Spinner45 » 11 Feb 2019 04:20

You have to add 1 gram when using the brush.
For instance, if the stylus requires 1.5 grams, then the total arm pressure should be 2.5 grams.
balance the arm, then set pressure one gram higher than needed.

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 11 Feb 2019 20:48

I always chucked these brushes away as they were very crude and from old memories, affected sound quality negatively. Shure got it better with their precision damped brushes, but even then, audiophiles never used the brush if they could get away with it.

The Garrard brass slider for tracking weight is pretty good as regards accuracy I think, but the bias correction (anti-skate) on mine is set far too high in my opinion. For a 1.5g playing weight, I'd be inclined to set the bias to '1' myself, but your sample may well be different.

Dadrepus

Post by Dadrepus » 11 Feb 2019 21:08

I think I am having the same issues. The needle seems to be shifting to the left when looking at the cartridge while playing, head on. I will remove the brush and reset it to see how it performs. I noticed 2 additional things i haven't completely address with the rebuild. 1) The lift lever does not always keep the arm elevated. It slowly comes back down, but not always. 2) Auto return kicks in too late and the needle hits the paper center of an album. Are there adjustments for these features? On the top or underneath?

Dadrepus

Post by Dadrepus » 11 Feb 2019 21:21

My wife is wondering what I'm going to do with all these TT I am accumulating. I just said, "I don't know yet". I would hate to tell her that I am collecting/keeping them. Oh the arguments that will ensue. :^o

A70BBen

Post by A70BBen » 11 Feb 2019 23:18

The brush adds skating force. Antiskate needs to be added, about a gram's worth, I've found.

Dadrepus

Post by Dadrepus » 12 Feb 2019 04:57

Removed the brush as DSJR suggested. Recalibrate, no needle shift. Plays as it should. Now need to tackle other problems. This is my first idler TT. Surprisingly quiet. I am pleased with my purchase. After all the bugaboos are fixed i'm going to design and make my own dust cover from plexiglass. Fun :lol:

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 12 Feb 2019 21:44

Not sure the auto trip can be adjusted. First to make sure the trip parts are free to move DRY and not lubricated! The pawls should all but rattle on the cam (they do or should rattle on the Autoslim models). The trip slider shouldn't be obviously 'bent' away from it's normal shape (which has bends as is). if it's obvious that the arm isn't touching the trip slider soon enough, I can't remember if there's actually a slight 'U' shape engineered in that coyld be 'relaxed' a little to give the extra needed. PLEASE don't touch ANYTHING until A70BBen has come back in, as I believe he's stripped out many more than I have...