Synchro LAB 95B (sl95B) changer spindle

the jewel in the crown
vinyl_vapor

Synchro LAB 95B (sl95B) changer spindle

Post by vinyl_vapor » 09 Jul 2018 19:12

Greetings all.

I have recently acquired a sl95B. It is immaculate. everything works flawlessly, EXCEPT the stacker. If one record is placed on the long spindle it works just fine. But set 2 or more on it and it refuses to drop them. I have messed with changer mechs on micromatics and dual, but the mechs are readily visible and accessible. any suggestions.

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Re: Synchro LAB 95B (sl95B) changer spindle

Post by DSJR » 09 Jul 2018 22:22

Granny sucking eggs possibly, but are you sure all the linkages underneath are clean, free of dried up grease and able to move freely.

Try to ensure first, that the auto spindle is locating fully and correctly. Once seated, I believe there's an adjustment to the spring steel? strip that locates on the tang at the bottom of the spindle. maybe worth a look here. Apologies, I can't Help more but A70BBen should come along shortly and he has far more experience of this part of the mechanism (I'm wondering now if my mechanically similar Zero 100 has the auto spindle - not sure it came to me with one...)

A70BBen

Post by A70BBen » 10 Jul 2018 19:41

Yes...adjust the screw in the link to the auto spindle operating pawl so that it engages positively over its entire travel. The pawl should push a record off, then reverse its stroke so it pushes backwards, thus " feeling" whether there is a record to be played on the NEXT cycle. Note that this sequence on your SL95B differs from that on the GT models, which "sense" the presence or absence of a record at the START of the cycle rather than at the end as on the "big SL" and Zero models.

Also make sure the Stop Lever, on the right side of the chassis under the platter, is free to move and is not stuck or stiff to move. It is an "overcenter" lever: when pushed halfway with your finger, its spring should push it the rest of the way with no further assistance.

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 11 Jul 2018 13:45

P.S. I'd suggest checking the movement of above lever first, before any 'adjustments...' On two of my large format garrards, I needed to sweat this lever off (make sure you see how the spring goes) so I could clean and replace - if I used grease at all, it was VERY little...

A70BBen

Post by A70BBen » 12 Jul 2018 00:50

Yes...the stop lever has a bad habit of getting VERY stuck.