Zero 100 replacement idler wheel

the jewel in the crown
Mikecl
United States of America

Zero 100 replacement idler wheel

Post by Mikecl » 02 Dec 2019 00:10

Anyone know where I can find one? My platter will slow when the tone arm moves or stops when it lowers I took a nail file to the wheel but I’m not sure how much so need to go on it. At this point I would just like to replace it.

Landolaman1
Great Britain

Re: Zero 100 replacement idler wheel

Post by Landolaman1 » 02 Dec 2019 14:57

Mikecl wrote:
02 Dec 2019 00:10
Anyone know where I can find one? My platter will slow when the tone arm moves or stops when it lowers I took a nail file to the wheel but I’m not sure how much so need to go on it. At this point I would just like to replace it.
Hi, if the TT is struggling to drive the normal operation of engaging the platter and moving the tonearm i would suspect the cause is more likely to be "Gummed up" grease preventing smooth operation and making the normal operation slow and tedious. As long as the rubber on the idler is supple and engaging the spindle and platter that side of the operation should be ok. It sounds to me that a thorough de-greasing is more likely to cure the problem. Plenty of information on this site to help with this. Good luck.

Mikecl
United States of America

Post by Mikecl » 02 Dec 2019 15:11

I’ve already done that I have a large thread going at Audio karma

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 02 Dec 2019 17:58

The idler rubber-compound used should still be supple, but this does depend on climate I gather.

eBay has been my source of Garrard bits and pieces and th eodd idler as wel as motor parts have been very much part of that over the last few years Don't just use US eBay but have a look at the European sites too...

Silly money - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Idler-wheel- ... Sww3tY5T8U

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Idler-wheel- ... SwhlZYsedD

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Garrard-ZERO ... SwiS9d2ixL

Some later types do look different (aluminium rather than bronze base casting) and also the later idlers for the Unimech based decks are slightly different size I think, but all the Autoslim models, plus SL72B/75/95/Zero 100 idler/AP75 and 76,
all used the same basic idler wheel it appears.

This has raised eyebrows, but 'dressing' the existing rubber 'tyre' may be enough to restore some grip and suppleness. I used a smear of LM grease all over, the excess of which I wiped off after a few days to 'sink in,' but I'm sure there are other rubber-restorers much more effective which would work better. Once the driving surface is clean and dry, grip soon returns and in my case, seems to stay that way (I needed to do something with my Lab 80mk2 idler, which has a similar softer compound to the ones discussed above, while 'looking' like the harder rubber of earlier decks.

aardvarkash10
long player
long player

Post by aardvarkash10 » 02 Dec 2019 18:25

just get the idler wheel repaired at Voice of Music. You can dick around forever with bodge fixes, or do it right. And its not expensive.

DSJR
long player
long player
Wales

Post by DSJR » 03 Dec 2019 06:48

Is 'their' rubber as soft and supple as the original? It only usually takes a spin in a drill chuck and some 'wet-n-dry' as we call it here to fix it, as I've never seen a Garrard idler crack up.

aardvarkash10
long player
long player

Post by aardvarkash10 » 03 Dec 2019 07:43

All idler wheels I've had go hard over time.

VOM have rebuilt two idlers for me so far - work a charm, not expensive, 16,000 miles in 14 days so acceptable delivery times. I've got the one on my current Zero100 about to do the trip, previous ones were a SL95b and a PE34