Is Nagaoka MP-110 cartridge good for Jazz?

the thin end of the wedge
Slavikcc
senior member
senior member
Canada
Posts: 583
Joined: 27 Jul 2016 02:26

Re: Is Nagaoka MP-110 cartridge good for Jazz?

Post by Slavikcc » 31 Oct 2017 22:14

ifloresdozol wrote:Thank you all for sharing your experience with the Nagaoka MP110. So I decided to purchase it through Amazon (actually cheaper than LP Gear). I got the version with the Headshell MP-110H. It should be arriving tomorrow and I will let you know how cool it sounds!
Funny, that's where I got mine, the one with the headshell included! Just be warned that you may get hit with custom fees even through Canada Post, which happened to me for this purchase.

ifloresdozol
junior member
junior member
Posts: 17
Joined: 26 Jan 2016 22:07

Re: Is Nagaoka MP-110 cartridge good for Jazz?

Post by ifloresdozol » 01 Nov 2017 04:51

Just be warned that you may get hit with custom fees even through Canada Post, which happened to me for this purchase.
Yes, I know. This is why I took advantage of a friend's trip to US. He will be bringing the cartridge avoiding custom fees.

Vinylfreak86
long player
long player
Posts: 1243
Joined: 07 Jan 2016 16:02

Re: Is Nagaoka MP-110 cartridge good for Jazz?

Post by Vinylfreak86 » 01 Nov 2017 19:05

Shure M44-7 is also very good cartridge for jazz. It is cheaper and has spherical stylus, which means that you don`t need so precise cartridge alignment.

mythrenegade
member
member
Posts: 238
Joined: 07 Jan 2009 19:44
Location: Lititz, PA

Re: Is Nagaoka MP-110 cartridge good for Jazz?

Post by mythrenegade » 02 Nov 2017 04:54

Got mine on Amazon with the head shell and love it. I play about 75% jazz on this thing. Great choice.

Joel

ifloresdozol
junior member
junior member
Posts: 17
Joined: 26 Jan 2016 22:07

Re: Is Nagaoka MP-110 cartridge good for Jazz?

Post by ifloresdozol » 02 Nov 2017 16:35

Since the cartridge will come with its Headshell as a factory default kit, I know it is supposed to be perfectly aligned. My question is: are there some times where this cartridge + headshell kits do not come perfectly aligned? Should I check the alignment with a protractor and the azimuth?

Ottermel
senior member
senior member
Canada
Posts: 730
Joined: 19 Mar 2012 20:42
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Is Nagaoka MP-110 cartridge good for Jazz?

Post by Ottermel » 02 Nov 2017 16:42

You can't count on perfect alignment!!
You are mounting a headshell from another manufacturer onto your TT.
I don't know if all headshells have the same dimensions for all arm mountings so checking the distance is paramount!

ifloresdozol
junior member
junior member
Posts: 17
Joined: 26 Jan 2016 22:07

Re: Is Nagaoka MP-110 cartridge good for Jazz?

Post by ifloresdozol » 02 Nov 2017 22:05

Ottermel wrote:You can't count on perfect alignment!!
You are mounting a headshell from another manufacturer onto your TT.
I don't know if all headshells have the same dimensions for all arm mountings so checking the distance is paramount!
Well, it does mention that it has an "Aligned length 52 mm for use with many tonearms". The technics OEM headshell also aligns the needle at 52mm.

However I am more concerned with Azimuth. I think it is never wrong to double check and do the proper work to be safe.

ifloresdozol
junior member
junior member
Posts: 17
Joined: 26 Jan 2016 22:07

Re: Is Nagaoka MP-110 cartridge good for Jazz?

Post by ifloresdozol » 13 Nov 2017 23:23

mythrenegade wrote:Got mine on Amazon with the head shell and love it. I play about 75% jazz on this thing. Great choice.

Joel
Hey Joel, I jost got mine from Amazon today! Just one question, did your Nagaoka MP-110H box came tightly wrapped in plastic, similar to how new CDs, Vinyl are wrapped? Mine did not come wrapped like that, just the packaging from Amazon.Is this normal, or should I worry that my cartridge is a used one?

kitt1987
junior member
junior member
Posts: 17
Joined: 23 Feb 2017 19:09

Re: Is Nagaoka MP-110 cartridge good for Jazz?

Post by kitt1987 » 14 Nov 2017 15:25

Correct! Do NOT assume the cartridge is aligned correctly just because it was mounted at the factory. It might be close but believe me it is not perfect. It mentions "52mm" because that's what a lot of modern turntables (off the shelf variety more likely) use....mine, for example, is 48mm and I am using a Pioneer PL-71 turntable so I have to be a lot more diligent in making sure I have my cartridges lined up perfectly. I still have a Nagaoka MP-500 that I've yet to set up simply because I dread working on it...and that stylus is mighty difficult to see with the naked eye. The MP-110 is pretty easy to set up so get the protractor and it might take you 20 minutes or so (longer if you've never done it) and once it is set you'll be good as gold.
That's another reason why I've yet to set up my MP-500 is that I have been so satisfied with the quality of the 110 that I just don't feel overly anxious to change.

ifloresdozol wrote:
Ottermel wrote:You can't count on perfect alignment!!
You are mounting a headshell from another manufacturer onto your TT.
I don't know if all headshells have the same dimensions for all arm mountings so checking the distance is paramount!
Well, it does mention that it has an "Aligned length 52 mm for use with many tonearms". The technics OEM headshell also aligns the needle at 52mm.

However I am more concerned with Azimuth. I think it is never wrong to double check and do the proper work to be safe.

ifloresdozol
junior member
junior member
Posts: 17
Joined: 26 Jan 2016 22:07

Re: Is Nagaoka MP-110 cartridge good for Jazz?

Post by ifloresdozol » 17 Nov 2017 22:06

Ok, so I just received my Nagaoka MP-110 and got it installed on my turntable. However, I am worried to see that the cantilever seems to be crooked. Nagaoka packaging is excellent, but could it be that the cantilever moved in transit? I have already aligned it with the Baerwald Arc Protractor (printable at Vinyl Engine) and the sound has a tiny soundstage and a recessed sound.

I know it must have its brake in period, but it sounds substantially off. What do you think of these photos? Is this cantilever crooked?
Attachments
3.jpg
Nagaoka MP110 with Nagaoka Headshell
(41 KiB) Downloaded 326 times
2.jpg
Nagaoka MP110 with Nagaoka Headshell
(39.75 KiB) Downloaded 304 times
1.jpg
Nagaoka MP110 with Nagaoka Headshell
(56 KiB) Downloaded 295 times

mythrenegade
member
member
Posts: 238
Joined: 07 Jan 2009 19:44
Location: Lititz, PA

Re: Is Nagaoka MP-110 cartridge good for Jazz?

Post by mythrenegade » 20 Nov 2017 05:42

I don’t think it’s crooked, but it’s really hard to tell from photos.

It should sound good straight out of the box, and better after 30 hours.

With mine one of the wires was loose into the head shell. I’d check everything, as what you describe is nothing like this cartridge sounds.

mythrenegade
member
member
Posts: 238
Joined: 07 Jan 2009 19:44
Location: Lititz, PA

Re: Is Nagaoka MP-110 cartridge good for Jazz?

Post by mythrenegade » 20 Nov 2017 05:42

ifloresdozol wrote:
mythrenegade wrote:Got mine on Amazon with the head shell and love it. I play about 75% jazz on this thing. Great choice.

Joel
Hey Joel, I jost got mine from Amazon today! Just one question, did your Nagaoka MP-110H box came tightly wrapped in plastic, similar to how new CDs, Vinyl are wrapped? Mine did not come wrapped like that, just the packaging from Amazon.Is this normal, or should I worry that my cartridge is a used one?
Not shrink wrapped.

ifloresdozol
junior member
junior member
Posts: 17
Joined: 26 Jan 2016 22:07

Re: Is Nagaoka MP-110 cartridge good for Jazz?

Post by ifloresdozol » 21 Nov 2017 23:41

Ok, so I re checked everything and the Nagaoka MP-110 is now singing. I should probably wait some 15 hours of breake in before giving a full review. That said, I did take a video so you can get an idea.

You tube: https://youtu.be/hQov24qAK1s

I balanced the turntable, checked the alignment into Baerwald Protractor, and I believe I nailed it. I checked and set up correctly the VTA and VTF. I only need to fix the azimuth which is annoying since I would need to unscreew the headshell joint part in the tonearm to align it correctly.

ifloresdozol
junior member
junior member
Posts: 17
Joined: 26 Jan 2016 22:07

Re: Is Nagaoka MP-110 cartridge good for Jazz?

Post by ifloresdozol » 24 Nov 2017 18:43

I completed the last setup yesterday. I aligned the stylus azimuth. I had to loosen the tiny screws under the tonearm, where the headshell is attached. I think I got good results. The cartidge seems a bit off compared to its reflection, but the cantilever and needle looks like a straight line with its reflection.
Attachments
23795314_10159641277250693_4165355948796271960_n.jpg
Nagaoka MP-110 Stylus azimuth alignment
(26.19 KiB) Downloaded 195 times

fudgemaster
senior member
senior member
England
Posts: 367
Joined: 05 Jan 2015 19:58
Location: Notts/Derbys

Re: Is Nagaoka MP-110 cartridge good for Jazz?

Post by fudgemaster » 24 Nov 2017 20:46

I've just measured the gap between cartridge and reflection, and it's smaller on the left than on the right, so try rotating your headshell about a degree or two, in a clockwise direction, and have another look, but the stylus itself does look almost perfectly aligned.
Examine the photo you took using a magnifying glass, and see what you think.