the home of the turntable

Arrived today me new Grado Statement Reference 1

the thin end of the wedge

Arrived today me new Grado Statement Reference 1

Postby cafe latte » 23 Oct 2017 03:08

I got too curious about all things Grado after playing with the Platinum wood and I saw a new old stock Statement Reference 1 for a very good price so I bought it :D
I will have a proper listen later today if I have time or later this evening, but it is aligned and set up on the Technics and of course I have had a quick try, could not resist :D .
Initial thoughts are stylus is much nicer as is the cantilever much finer than the Platinum. Surprised to about how low the gain is, I expected it to be more than my low output MC's but it seems about the same or lower than some. I had my DNM preamp set to MC and almost flat strap for loud. All good volume wise but it would have been nice to have it loud with the preamp having some reserve.. Anyway minor moan..
Initial thoughts and this was a quick listen from two record I know had issues with the Platinum is very good. These two record had sibilance on the highs with the Platinum wood this issue has gone with the Reference 1 just clean sweet highs. Bass is tidy too again gone is that muddled bottom end the Platinum wood had issues with.
Tonight I will do some side by sides with what I consider my reference cart which is my Decca super gold, so more later..
Chris
cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Australia

Re: Arrived today me new Grado Statement Reference 1

Postby cafe latte » 23 Oct 2017 06:36

Ok bit more of a listen.. Very nice indeed far better than the Platinum wood. One thing though worth mentioning is the gain in the specs of the cart is BS is is lower for sure. I am going to need to get a SUT or some other method of giving me more gain in the long run. I have enough gain but my preamps is flat out max volume for decent loud and at this volume it is getting a little hissy. Anyway I will work this out..
Now done a few comparisons to the Decca super gold which is probably unfair as IMO the Decca is one of the best carts out there (well I have not heard better yet..). Anyway Nivarna first up with Poly and the Grado. Bass and mids amazing vocals clean and very wide, highs seem detailed too. Now over to the Decca, the Decca is well the Decca, more highs of course, the guitar is more in the room, for this track I prefer the Decca for sure. Now over to Fairground Attraction track one Jock O' Hazeldean. Grado first the vocals shimmer in the room sweet highs, bass is very low at points on this track and the Grado does it perfectly clean wide everything seems perfect. Now the Decca.. It does the Decca thing and in this case the mid highs seem nicer on the Grado. The Decca does its usual thing of putting the performance in the room, but this track was nicer a little sweeter IMO. If I could have only one of the two I would keep my Decca, but very impressed with what the Grado is doing so far. Does it miss the last element of detail in the highs? Hmm maybe, but we are used to MC extenuation of the highs and the Decca does a similar thing so is the Grado actually wrong here, not sure only more listening can work this out. I have not tried tail up and down yet either so lots to check.
Chris
cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Australia

Postby cafe latte » 23 Oct 2017 07:03

Very interesting!! Tom Waits Nighthawks at the diner Eggs and sausage with the intro.
Grado first, I am in that smoky diner I hear a high hat in the band gently being brushed with a steel brush, I dont smoke, but you can picture yourself with a whiskey and cigarette.. Next the Decca. Hi hat is there and more prevalent, but Toms voice is more in your face too. This track too the slightly sleeper Grado (smoother??) I liked best, the mids made the track for me I could be really in the bar, but the more top end Decca with this track at least spoiled the illusion a bit. Both carts sounded stunning dont get me wrong but Grado was nicer by a hair, just a tiny bit more relaxing and this track warranted that. With Nivarna that top detail (maybe extenuation I dont know) brought the performance into the room, you can hear the fingers on the strings changing chords but the Grado took away a tint bit of excitement, but it seems that not every track that is needed.. Wonder how my cd copy sounds??
Chris
cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Australia

Postby cafe latte » 23 Oct 2017 08:45

Dug out my cd copy of Nivarna to compare :shock: that was not a pleasant experience at all, I enjoy many cd's but that was err horrible!!
Chris
cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Australia

Postby Alec124c41 » 23 Oct 2017 09:48

Better than the Decca? High praise, indeed!

Cheers,
Alec
Keep them spinning.
Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer

Canada

Postby cafe latte » 23 Oct 2017 11:01

Alec124c41 wrote:Better than the Decca? High praise, indeed!

Cheers,
Alec

No not better, different and some record do sound better on the Grado and some the Decca is better. I do now know what all the fuss is about though re Grado and the drawbacks. If I could keep only one it would be my Decca, but very very happy with the Grado, it will be getting a lot of use for sure.
Chris
cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Australia

Postby BMRR » 23 Oct 2017 17:36

cafe latte wrote:One thing though worth mentioning is the gain in the specs of the cart is BS is is lower for sure.

That's true of their high output carts as well. They rate the Prestige line as 5mV and there's no way in hell that's correct. I'd say 2.5mV at best, maybe even less.
What do dance clubs and classical radio stations have in common? Technics Direct Drive.™
BMRR
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby cafe latte » 23 Oct 2017 23:35

BMRR wrote:
cafe latte wrote:One thing though worth mentioning is the gain in the specs of the cart is BS is is lower for sure.

That's true of their high output carts as well. They rate the Prestige line as 5mV and there's no way in hell that's correct. I'd say 2.5mV at best, maybe even less.

I thought about a SUT, but wonder if it will mess with anything sonically. Other option is I build high gain MC pre dont really want to as it is a lot of messing about though..
Chris
cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Australia

Postby BMRR » 23 Oct 2017 23:42

I was lured into trying Grado carts because people waxed poetic about the inky black background they produce... I found it neither inky nor black, considering how much I had to crank up my volume... plus the background hum as the cartridge reached the inner grooves. But they do have a certain charm. And a definite attitude.
What do dance clubs and classical radio stations have in common? Technics Direct Drive.™
BMRR
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby cafe latte » 24 Oct 2017 02:30

BMRR wrote:I was lured into trying Grado carts because people waxed poetic about the inky black background they produce... I found it neither inky nor black, considering how much I had to crank up my volume... plus the background hum as the cartridge reached the inner grooves. But they do have a certain charm. And a definite attitude.

I have an external psu on my sl1210mk2 so no hum here. If you have a Technics this mod (mine is a Kab) is well worth doing just as an upgrade the lack of hum on carts like the Grado and Decca is a bonus. I do have hiss though due to high volume but it is not excessive really. That said I want to either go SUT or build a higher gain MC preamp which will address the hiss issue, even a good kit which would be less of a headache, I have not got time to etch boards anymore..
Cheers
Chris
cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Australia

Postby a.wayne » 24 Oct 2017 20:15

Grado's excell on classical music , good body and tone on acoustic instruments , you should try the Hana SL next , very surprised the Grado worked for you on the Technics, they love Belt drive tables ....

:)
a.wayne

United States of America

Postby jdjohn » 24 Oct 2017 22:27

Chris,

Congrats on your latest acquisition! I think an SUT would be the way to go, especially since it will allow you to keep the load at 47Kohms. From what I read, the DC resistance on those cartridges is really low, like 2ohms? That's definitely more like a MC than a MM/MI, so again an SUT makes sense. I found this thread on AK which might help: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php? ... lo.731857/
jdjohn
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby cafe latte » 24 Oct 2017 23:41

a.wayne wrote:Grado's excell on classical music , good body and tone on acoustic instruments , you should try the Hana SL next , very surprised the Grado worked for you on the Technics, they love Belt drive tables ....

These are some of my carts the other really good ones like my 881,my Decca super gold, my Dynavector 17d3 and of course the new Grado are mounted, my others are in another box, some are in the factory box. They all sound great on all my turntables, the 881 loves the Orpheus simply because it has a Hadcock arm not due to its drive method, the hadcock is the best compliance match for that cart. Drive really has nothing to do with it.39587
Chris
cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Australia

Postby cafe latte » 24 Oct 2017 23:48

jdjohn wrote:Chris,

Congrats on your latest acquisition! I think an SUT would be the way to go, especially since it will allow you to keep the load at 47Kohms. From what I read, the DC resistance on those cartridges is really low, like 2ohms? That's definitely more like a MC than a MM/MI, so again an SUT makes sense. I found this thread on AK which might help: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php? ... lo.731857/

Thanks I will have a read :)
Chris
cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Australia

Postby a.wayne » 27 Oct 2017 00:33

cafe latte wrote:
a.wayne wrote:Grado's excell on classical music , good body and tone on acoustic instruments , you should try the Hana SL next , very surprised the Grado worked for you on the Technics, they love Belt drive tables ....

These are some of my carts the other really good ones like my 881,my Decca super gold, my Dynavector 17d3 and of course the new Grado are mounted, my others are in another box, some are in the factory box. They all sound great on all my turntables, the 881 loves the Orpheus simply because it has a Hadcock arm not due to its drive method, the hadcock is the best compliance match for that cart. Drive really has nothing to do with it.39587
Chris

Lol ,

Cafe,

You shouldn't interrupt me when I'm being rhetorical , would love for you to add a Hana to your collection , it may become that special cartridge on your SL ....

Regards
a.wayne

United States of America

Next

Return to Cartridges and Preamps