the home of the turntable

Counterweight upgrade absolutely necessary?

the thin end of the wedge

Counterweight upgrade absolutely necessary?

Postby dogville » 17 Oct 2017 17:26

Hi

Just a simple or not so simple question. Do I need to replace the counterweight in my AT LP120 if I wanted to use an ORTOFON M2 red?.
Is it mandatory or it should work properly with the the regular counterweight?. I don't want to waste the money

AT-CW1

Cheers
dogville

Spain

Re: Counterweight upgrade absolutely necessary?

Postby billshurv » 17 Oct 2017 18:18

not mandatory if you are happy to blutak coins or weights onto your existing counterweight if it turns out too light
billshurv

United Kingdom

Postby Japi Roelofs » 17 Oct 2017 19:47

Did your AT-LP120 come with an AT95 cartridge?

The AT95 is 5.7 grams. The Ortofon 2M Red is 7.2 grams. So there's a difference of 1.5 grams.

AT doesn't specify the cartridge weight range for the tonearm. You can try this: put a cent on the headshell, and see if you can still balance the tonearm. If the counterweight is still in an acceptable position, i.e. it doesn't dangle at the end of the stub or touch the dust cover when playing, you should be fine.
Japi Roelofs
long player
long player
contributor

Netherlands

Postby dogville » 17 Oct 2017 22:39

Well, my intention is changing the AT95 for the Ortofon. I was thinking it over and guess that, for the cost of the AT-CW1, it is worth the money. That way I will be sure the Ortofon or heavier cartridges than the AT95 will work properly
Thanks guys
dogville

Spain

Postby plyscds » 17 Oct 2017 23:26

Yes, Audio-Technica makes...(made?)... a heavier counterweight for the "PL" and "LP" 120s. Using the stock low mass counterweight perched on the back edge of the tonearm with an unusually massive cartridge setup (like a P-mount cartridge in a 1/2-inch adapter screwed to a universal headshell) to play an unusually heavily warped 45rpm record will see the stylus leave the record surface after climbing the leading side of the warp. This is the barbell effect. Using the same massive cartridge setup with the more massive counterweight positioned nearer the tonearm pivot point at the same tracking force will permit the stylus to stay with the warped 45 record, but you wouldn't want to let this go on too long out of concern for the long term health of the stylus and cartridge. Matters do not reach this level of "interesting" at 33-1/3 rpm.

(That experiment was performed with a record and stylus which had been taken out of service.)

I have a heavier A-T counterweight, and for normal record playing I see little need to bring it out of it's box.
plyscds
contributor

United States of America

Postby dogville » 18 Oct 2017 08:30

plyscds wrote:Yes, Audio-Technica makes...(made?)... a heavier counterweight for the "PL" and "LP" 120s. Using the stock low mass counterweight perched on the back edge of the tonearm with an unusually massive cartridge setup (like a P-mount cartridge in a 1/2-inch adapter screwed to a universal headshell) to play an unusually heavily warped 45rpm record will see the stylus leave the record surface after climbing the leading side of the warp. This is the barbell effect. Using the same massive cartridge setup with the more massive counterweight positioned nearer the tonearm pivot point at the same tracking force will permit the stylus to stay with the warped 45 record, but you wouldn't want to let this go on too long out of concern for the long term health of the stylus and cartridge. Matters do not reach this level of "interesting" at 33-1/3 rpm.

(That experiment was performed with a record and stylus which had been taken out of service.)

I have a heavier A-T counterweight, and for normal record playing I see little need to bring it out of it's box.

Thank you plyscds,
After having read your comment, my question is; do I need this upgrade in the AT LP 120 to use an Ortofon M2 Red?. Anybody here who uses it with no upgrade and with no issues?

Regards
dogville

Spain

Return to Cartridges and Preamps