the home of the turntable

Battery operated scope + gram scale options

the thin end of the wedge

Battery operated scope + gram scale options

Postby lreneat » 07 Oct 2017 18:50

I have been looking at buying a 60-100 power battery operated scope for stylus needle viewing. The one that looked pretty good is model MM-200 and sells for $13.09 and up.

My other interest is to buy a battery operated gram scale for stylus to record contact weight. Lots of choices which leaves me a bit confused. No one likes junk, or having to return at one's expense.

Are there any favorable models of the above item(s) that readers might suggest as being good?
lreneat

United States of America

Re: Battery operated scope + gram scale options

Postby 62vauxhall » 08 Oct 2017 15:59

I tried a microscope such as you describe to examine styli and it's useless. Currently using a cheap Chinese USB microscope and it's better. Still leaves much to be desired in terms of locating the target for different views but once found, at least one can actually see the the stylus.

I don't think there will be too much variance in those gram scales. The one I have was found second hand and is calibrated in 1/100ths of a gram increments. If it's off by one or two hundredths, who cares.
62vauxhall

Postby lreneat » 08 Oct 2017 23:01

62vauxhall wrote:I tried a microscope such as you describe to examine styli and it's useless. Currently using a cheap Chinese USB microscope and it's better. Still leaves much to be desired in terms of locating the target for different views but once found, at least one can actually see the the stylus.

I don't think there will be too much variance in those gram scales. The one I have was found second hand and is calibrated in 1/100ths of a gram increments. If it's off by one or two hundredths, who cares.

I will take a look at USB microscopes on eBay and Amazon.
lreneat

United States of America

Postby lreneat » 10 Oct 2017 04:05

I ordered the USB 1-500 power microscope at eBay.
lreneat

United States of America

Postby 62vauxhall » 10 Oct 2017 04:29

Seems like the same maker as mine but looks better especially with that adjustable stand - like a real microscope. Hellishly good idea.

I've been trying to figure out how to make one and been looking for a cheap kid's microscope in thrift stores. Thought of trying to modify one to hold my USB. But now, I shall also look online for just the stand as yours will have.
62vauxhall

Postby lreneat » 10 Oct 2017 06:56

The microscope I opted for is adjustable for different angles. We'll see how it works out after it arrives in a week or so.
lreneat

United States of America

Postby vinyl master » 10 Oct 2017 09:46

lreneat wrote:I ordered the USB 1-500 power microscope at eBay.

Just curious, lreneat, but do you have a link for this, in case anyone's interested? :-k
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby lreneat » 10 Oct 2017 20:17

lreneat

United States of America

Postby 62vauxhall » 11 Oct 2017 12:58

That is exactly the same one I have.
62vauxhall

Postby lreneat » 12 Oct 2017 01:04

62vauxhall wrote:

That is exactly the same one I have.

Are you happy with the USB Microscope when viewing stylus needles for wear?
lreneat

United States of America

Postby 62vauxhall » 12 Oct 2017 05:07

It is satisfactory for my needs. But a couple of times I was fooled when I looked at the tip directly from the top down, it appeared none was there. Looking in profile or at an angle revealed that it was in fact present.

However, it's frustrating locating the target and keeping it in focus while changing angles. Lately, I've been leaving the microscope stationary and finger holding the stylus, to move around. Would be nice to have a little turntable for a stage and some method to keep the subject centered.

That extender/retracter of the microscope I thought you were considering would be handy. Like I mentioned, I'm keeping an eye out for a cheapie used/broken one. Maybe just cut off it's barrel and tape on the USB in it's place.

I have not yet been able to take a snapshot with it. When I push the button, I hear the camera shutter sound but I've no idea where the photo is stored or if one has even been taken. If you figure that out, PM me, I'm keen to know.
62vauxhall

Postby lreneat » 13 Oct 2017 23:33

62vauxhall wrote:It is satisfactory for my needs. But a couple of times I was fooled when I looked at the tip directly from the top down, it appeared none was there. Looking in profile or at an angle revealed that it was in fact present.

However, it's frustrating locating the target and keeping it in focus while changing angles. Lately, I've been leaving the microscope stationary and finger holding the stylus, to move around. Would be nice to have a little turntable for a stage and some method to keep the subject centered.

That extender/retracter of the microscope I thought you were considering would be handy. Like I mentioned, I'm keeping an eye out for a cheapie used/broken one. Maybe just cut off it's barrel and tape on the USB in it's place.

I have not yet been able to take a snapshot with it. When I push the button, I hear the camera shutter sound but I've no idea where the photo is stored or if one has even been taken. If you figure that out, PM me, I'm keen to know.

The USB digital Microscope arrived today. The bad news is that our Windows 7 home computer tower Multimedia Optical Drive does not accept anything. I sent an e-mail to a smart computer guy who lives near by. Maybe he can help us get the gizmo to work.
lreneat

United States of America

Postby 62vauxhall » 14 Oct 2017 06:55

My PC is Windows 7 and the supplied 3" CD ROM loaded no problem. Is it your drive that's giving you grief? Don't know if it will help but the program is AMCAP. Maybe you can find it online and download it?
62vauxhall

Postby lreneat » 18 Oct 2017 22:27

My wife is researching the problem with CD drive in computer. She will be getting a book from library which hopefully will lead to fixing the problem. Saga to continue later.
lreneat

United States of America

Postby lreneat » 06 Nov 2017 10:15

Gram scale came in the mail. I checked my Technics SL-D1 turntable and setting of tonearm gauge was pretty close. I did the same on my Dual, which required the removal of platter to get proper position to use gram scale. Dual tonearm gauge was a little less accurate, but in the ball park. My suggestion to anyone who wants a Digital grams scale is to get a small thin one to make it easier to use on Dual turntables and other limited access turntable surfaces.

Due to recent car problems and nasty colds, the microscope situation remains on hold until easy answers make the scope usable with computer. Worst case, I have a $15.00 shelf ornament.
lreneat

United States of America

Next

Return to Cartridges and Preamps