the home of the turntable

Bubble Level for VTA/SRA?

the thin end of the wedge

Bubble Level for VTA/SRA?

Postby wojo58 » 13 Sep 2017 22:58

So I've tried the index card trick to establish a "level" tonearm, but parallax angles and such just don't give me the warm and fuzzies that I'm truly on the level. Has anyone tried one of those mini bubble levels you put on your head shell? I can't believe the added weight would give you an accurate measure, if not possibly damaging your cartridge in the process.

Or does resetting the VTF just offset all that?
wojo58

United States of America

Re: Bubble Level for VTA/SRA?

Postby totem » 13 Sep 2017 23:15

As mentioned in another thread I've used a bubble tube type vial 3/4 to 1 inch in length to
adjust both starting horizontal arm level and headshell azimuth. Very easy to see and use.

No idea where it came from a simple plastic tube type very light, I do add a piece of transfer tape
to adhere it either horizontally for azimuth or inline to get an arm level indication.

Far more accurate than those small round bubble types which I also have.
totem

Canada

Postby audiopile » 14 Sep 2017 00:49

I bought a bunch of the little circular bubble levels a few months ago.I agree these aren't particularly useful.I started out pretty enthusiastic about using them - that changed with experience. I use a transparent plexiglass tool with lines scribed on it for this and have been reasonably happy with the accuracy of this measrment technique. However - I anticipate in most cases adjusting by ears and probably have a majority of my carts at least a bit down at the rear. Azimuth is critical and the only thing my ol eyz seem to be able to work with is looking in a mirror at the reflection of the bottom of the cartridge.
audiopile
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby lini » 14 Sep 2017 12:27

w58: I'd rather suggest to directly visually check the SRA, 'cause that the tonearm should be in horizontal position is just a rule of thumb.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
lini
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Germany

Return to Cartridges and Preamps