the home of the turntable

Ok, I would like to get a new PMount

the thin end of the wedge

Ok, I would like to get a new PMount

Postby uniman4 » 11 Sep 2017 10:48

Hey all- Just got a technics SL-QD33 on the cheap, and the guy said he got it tuned up before selling, including a new stylus, but then he also said his tuneup cost $30. Is that even possible?

Because I am the type of guy that wants my own decisions in charge of my sound, I would like to replace both Cart and Stylus, but not spend $300. I think i read somewhere with Pmounts you can put an Audio Technics cartridge on for like $30, then upgrade the stylus?

Has to be some pretty good options out there, right?

Thanks, should be interesting.
uniman4

United States of America

Re: Ok, I would like to get a new PMount

Postby Kurt45 » 11 Sep 2017 12:25

LP Gear sells a line of pmount cartridges based on the audio technica body. They run from $30 to $200, depending on the stylus. I haven't heard them, but if you want an AT, it's a nice way to get a new pmount with the stylus of your choice.
Kurt45
contributor

United States of America

Postby DualSpinsMyVinyl » 11 Sep 2017 22:53

I recently went whole hog and purchased the AT Reference Series V T4P with the Shibata stylus from LP Gear. I mounted it on my Technics SL-7 to replace the original Ortofon TM 14 cartridge. I must say that I am quite impressed. The resolution, fidelity, tracking, and frequency range are excellent. This stylus/cartridge combination makes music that is detailed, easy on the ears, and very realistic. The level of background noise is extremely low. I have been comparing the cartridge to my Shure V15 III, and M75 ED T2 both with HE styli, as well as my M97xE with SAS, and I must say it is every bit a good. The initial outlay for this cartridge combo is in the long run the less expensive way to go. If you purchase the entry level AT Series V cartridge and then upgrade to the Shibata stylus it is about $35.00 dollars more + taxes in total cost. So that is why I went all the way and I have not regretted it one moment.
DualSpinsMyVinyl, Dynaco-PAT4 Pre Amp, VTA ST-120 Valve Amp, Dual 1219,1249, Shure M97xE JICO SAS, V15 T III JICO VN35HE, M95HE, M75ED-T2, M71, Grace F8, Technics SL7-Ortofon TM14/Shibata stylus,Heil AMT-10b spkrs, Sansui QRX3500.
DualSpinsMyVinyl

United States of America

Postby VinylDan1 » 12 Sep 2017 01:14

That's a good p-mount table. I'd put a good cart on it. Spend what you are comfortable spending.
VinylDan1

United States of America

Postby uniman4 » 12 Sep 2017 06:32

Well, i didn't say i necessarily HAD to have an AT, but it's just what i heard a lot of people were doing, because you don't really need a more expensive cartridge?

As for the turntable, i will admit it is is great shape, just the top dust cover is busted up one side with the clips, but it STILL Functions! Ebay, $50 total.

I actually don't mind the current sound, but the back part of cart looks O L D!! I will post some pics of the whole thing to discuss.

My biggest problem, the sound is fine, except for higher pitched "sssss" like SSSSnake sounds, it's almost start screetching a bit on those. No idea, i turn the treble down and down, and that helps some, but not completely. Some records are worse than others. Using a 1992 Pioneer phono receiver, but did get 2 phono preamps in on the cheap today too, the NAD PP2i will i imagine i will just sell again, because I am more excited about the Musical Fidelity V90LPS I just got as well. If neither is an improvement over the receiver, i'll sell both maybe.

I am pretty new to vinyl, maybe its a problem of dirty records? I get a bunch for a used place. I didn't even know record washing was a thing! So, i am scrambling but hope to get that done soon, along with the magic eraser stylus clean.

So i will get those pics up soon, so you guys can advice. Other than that, I just need to figure out where this scratching sound on the "S's" is coming from. Hope I can figure it out!

Thanks all, back soon.
uniman4

United States of America

Postby VinylDan1 » 12 Sep 2017 16:21

Could be worn stylus, worn records, or damage or changes from the factory settings on the turntable.
VinylDan1

United States of America

Postby uniman4 » 12 Sep 2017 20:32

Sorry, behind today, will have those pics in here tonight. Uuugh, see, that is what i don't want, to be guessing and not figuring out what is wrong.

The records will be washed very well soon, and stylus too, and am going to get another one obviously.

GThe only one that scares me is that it's the turntable. What adjustments can you really even do with this thing? Not many, which is sort of why i like it. I am not a very "technical" guy like that at least not with turntables yet!
uniman4

United States of America

Postby Kurt45 » 12 Sep 2017 21:17

The tracking force on that model does have a small adjustment from 1.0 to 1.5 grams. If you put a new cartridge on there, and invest in an inexpensive tracking force gauge to be sure you're at 1.25 gms (the standard for all pmounts) there's a good chance all will be well. The manual is on vinyl engine and it shows how to adjust the tracking force.
Kurt45
contributor

United States of America

Postby uniman4 » 13 Sep 2017 06:55

Ok, PICS HERE! Sorry bout that, been busy lately. First, kurt, thanks for the advice. Tracking is one thing i haven't messed with yet, was sort of hoping it would stay that way, but oh well.

Also, i accidentally won TWO phono preamps on ebay, the NADpp2i and Music Fideltity V90, something like that, bout 160 retail or so. NAD was a joke, right back in box. Music Fidelity awesome, better than the Pioneer receiver? A LITTLE bit maybe, but nothing significant. BUT, was going to do that anyways because my newer receiver i can hook more stuff into like AUX, send all out to 4 speakers and sub, etc. etc. you get it. ANYWAYS, where i was going with that, is that did improve that high "s" squeal sound a bit. Did it go away? No, but i did help.

TtTonight i finally got cleaning stuff so records and stylus will get cleaned, albeit i don't have vac up and going yet. So we will see where that takes us.

One thing i was going to mention, until i get a better setup for furniture, my record players sits basically right new to one of the bookshelf speakers. Could that have anything to do with it maybe?

So, we are all caught up. We are progressing tho and i love it. This cartridge actually sounds pretty dang good i must say, if i could get rid of that hiss. OR, maybe i just don't what good sounds like yet?

Here are pics, like i said, one part looks about 30 years old.

JUST CLICK LINK TO ALBUM TO SEE ALL PHOTOS. Thanks

https://imgur.com/a/2oV30
Last edited by uniman4 on 13 Sep 2017 06:59, edited 1 time in total.
uniman4

United States of America

Postby Kurt45 » 13 Sep 2017 12:50

Uniman4, the tracking force check and adjustment is pretty easy, and there are several inexpensive options for digital and analog tracking force gauges.

I'm not quite understanding your photos. It looks like you have a Shure 1000ed cartridge with an aftermarket stylus. But I see photos of what looks like another cartridge, but it's really beat up. The Shure is a good cartridge and there are good options for aftermarket styluses for it. Given that he spent only $30 tuning up the turntable, I'd presume that's a very inexpensive stylus and you can do better.
Kurt45
contributor

United States of America

Postby uniman4 » 13 Sep 2017 17:14

You are correct, that "beat up" part is the piece that plugs into the tone arm, and that basically fits inside of the thing that has the Shure thing that has the 1000ED on it. So its 2 parts, the old looking part fits inside of the outer 1000ED thing. So I should keep that you think?

That help any?

Cartridge must be old, new aftermarket stylus is probably pretty accurate.
uniman4

United States of America

Postby Kurt45 » 13 Sep 2017 17:50

I'm not sure what is going on with your Shure, but I wouldn't want to install a part that beat up on my turntable. I think a new pmount can be had for the same price as a good stylus for that Shure. There have been several threads here in the past year or so about the options for new pmounts if you want to go that route. Here's a recent one:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=92742

That Shure may be salvageable, but unless you love the sound of it, I'm not sure it's worth it.
Kurt45
contributor

United States of America

Postby uniman4 » 14 Sep 2017 05:45

I do like the sound of it, except what was discussed earlier. I am going to get a new one, keep this one, and we shall see!

Thanks!
uniman4

United States of America

Postby uniman4 » 14 Sep 2017 07:10

uniman4

United States of America

Postby Kurt45 » 14 Sep 2017 12:34

That's a very good Shure cartridge body (I own one in the form of a M111HE) with an aftermarket stylus from a well-regarded company, although I personally haven't used a Jico. The seller has sold a lot of cartridges and hasn't gotten any negative feedback, so that's a good sign.

That 110HE stylus is $96 at Jico's site, so I'm not sure where the seller got the price of $118 or what they mean by "custom made." But all in all it seems like a fair deal. You may want to check the forum and see if anyone has posted about their experience with that stylus.

Side note: I emailed Jico a few years ago for the specs on that stylus, and they replied:

"The specifications of N110HE [e007404] is as follows,
Tip : hyper-elliptical 5-8r x 65-75r (micro),
bonded diamond tip
Cantilever : aluminum"
Kurt45
contributor

United States of America

Return to Cartridges and Preamps