the home of the turntable

How to look for wear?

the thin end of the wedge

How to look for wear?

Postby klimal » 10 Sep 2017 09:13

I have an old Ortofon Kontrapunkt b which was a gift.
I have been playing it now for several months now and sounds fine, tho' the mids can sound hard occasionally.
What view would be useful for this purpose ie looking for wear?
Attachments
6.JPG
6.JPG (28.12 KiB) Viewed 261 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (52.44 KiB) Viewed 261 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (30.31 KiB) Viewed 261 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (28.88 KiB) Viewed 261 times
SLAT L75/SME3009 S2 Imp/Ortofon Kontrapunkt b, AHT Non-Signature preamp, Creek Destiny 2, BAT VK60, Epos Elan 35. Straightwire interconnect Cresendo & Symphony speaker cable, Straightwire tonearm phono cable,
klimal

Malaysia

Re: How to look for wear?

Postby Vinylfreak86 » 10 Sep 2017 09:25

I don`t look for wear, I just smash a stylus away after one year of regular use. Better this than wear on records.

If you got old cartridge, replacement of a stylus is your first homework. Never use an old stylus.
Vinylfreak86

Slovenia

Postby Delta667 » 10 Sep 2017 10:12

So under a microscope looks like a worn stylus.
This stylus requires replacement, but it can still be used without damage to damage vinyl.
More damage to vinyl is done by a new cheap stylus with a poorly treated surface. Such stylus on the continuation of 40 - 50 hours perform the role of sandpaper ))
Photo in the subject. Today I did an examination of the stylus and recommended its replacement.
Delta667
long player
long player

Russia

Postby analogaudio » 10 Sep 2017 19:10

Wear is tricky to see. When the history of the stylus is unknown it is wise to replace the stylus rather than risk damaging the discs.

In another thread Ray Parkhurst has started showing pictures he has made using focus-stacking and very careful lighting, some of these enable wear to be seen, the thread is here viewtopic.php?f=19&t=92996

There was a stylus microscope made by SHURE long ago, model SEK2, it had two lights above the stylus, with a dual slide moving stage with fine adjustment to get the stylus centered, and zoom magnification up to 200x. They change hands on ebay rarely for a few hundred US$, but the results are inferior to focus stacking photography, which has superior depth of field.
Ted

Technics SL1600mk2, Ortofon VMS30, modified TEAC AH500 as a preamp, Bryston 4B ST amp, Harbeth M40 speakers, all making musical magic :-)
analogaudio
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby Delta667 » 11 Sep 2017 04:25

it is necessary to create a separate theme: Destroying vinyl with a worn stylus is a myth or reality !?
What is the mechanism of vinyl destruction ?
Delta667
long player
long player

Russia

Postby Vinylfreak86 » 11 Sep 2017 10:36

Delta667 wrote:it is necessary to create a separate theme: Destroying vinyl with a worn stylus is a myth or reality !?
What is the mechanism of vinyl destruction ?

If I look at many used records made deacades ago, they are worn out because people didn`t replace styluses and also they used bad designed turntables. Because you live in Russia, you also know that in USSR times majority of people were using cheap Elektronika, Radiotehnika and other brands turntables with ceramic cartridge and I think that also there majority of old Melodiya records are worn out.
Vinylfreak86

Slovenia

Postby Delta667 » 11 Sep 2017 13:01

An interesting and unexpected theory of vinyl wear ))
We quickly figured out how to spoil the vinyl in the USSR.
But how does vinyl wear in other countries, how are the styluses erased? ))
I dare say that the mechanism of vinyl wear does not depend on the status of the stylus. I can say more - a thin sharpening does more damage than a blunt stylus.
I see it with my own eyes when I examine the vinyl under a microscope.
The main criterion for replacing the stylus, I think discomfort when listening to music. But there's no need to worry that your half-worn stylus will damage the vinyl tracks. The only thing you need to be afraid of is sharp chipping on the tip of the stylus. This leads to banal scratches on the surface of the groove.
Delta667
long player
long player

Russia

Postby Vinylfreak86 » 11 Sep 2017 21:04

We have to say that soviet engineers were also capable to design some high-end turntables, which were copies of Thorens, Dual or even some japanese turntables like Estonia from 80`s based on Sharp Optonica model. But these turntables were expensive and majority of citizens couldn`t afford them. After the collapse of USSR, the market was overflown with western goods, so companies abandoned hifi line and start to produce their primal technology only (like Vega, which is part of state owned military corporation).
Vinylfreak86

Slovenia

Postby Thomas_A » 11 Sep 2017 21:52

Wear always occurs; where there is friction there are material losses in stylus and groove over time, even if it occurs slowly. You can speed up wear by using

higher stylus pressure (higher friction)
worn or badly polished stylus (higher friction)
chipped stylus (higher friction)
Thomas_A

Sweden

Postby klimal » 12 Sep 2017 06:23

Delta667 wrote:So under a microscope looks like a worn stylus.
This stylus requires replacement, but it can still be used without damage to damage vinyl.
More damage to vinyl is done by a new cheap stylus with a poorly treated surface. Such stylus on the continuation of 40 - 50 hours perform the role of sandpaper ))
Photo in the subject. Today I did an examination of the stylus and recommended its replacement.

So it looks worn to you?
May I know what you looked for in my pictures posted above? :?:
SLAT L75/SME3009 S2 Imp/Ortofon Kontrapunkt b, AHT Non-Signature preamp, Creek Destiny 2, BAT VK60, Epos Elan 35. Straightwire interconnect Cresendo & Symphony speaker cable, Straightwire tonearm phono cable,
klimal

Malaysia

Postby Delta667 » 13 Sep 2017 11:22

klimal wrote:
Delta667 wrote:So under a microscope looks like a worn stylus.

So it looks worn to you?
May I know what you looked for in my pictures posted above? :?:

On your photos you can not see anything ((
I showed you an example of a worn stylus that I saw through an optical microscope. My photo is made through an optical microscope with the illumination of the stylus on both sides.
An increase of 100 times, + camera optics 4.
Delta667
long player
long player

Russia

Postby klimal » 14 Sep 2017 03:08

:oops: My bad
So I need to improve on my skills first.
Lighting is a major issue I think.
Anyways, I sent it for re tipping to remove any doubts.
Thank you for your time.
klimal

Malaysia

Return to Cartridges and Preamps