the home of the turntable

Question regarding 205C-II L and new stylus

the thin end of the wedge

Question regarding 205C-II L and new stylus

Postby Mrgroovy » 13 Jul 2017 20:50

I am new to this forum and this seems like a good place to ask questions regarding vintage gear.

I have a vintage Pioneer turntable, it's a PL-55DX, with a PC-110/II cartridge. I have no idea if this is considered a decent cartridge or not as I got the turntable years ago after my father passed away. Anyways, I found amongst some of the hi-fi stuff he left for me another cartrige named 205C-II L (by Technics google tells me) in what seems like an original(ish) package (though on the package it says EPS 270ED). The stylus on this one, National Panasonic 205C-IIX is missing the needle/tip and therefore I am unable to test it. I would like to know if I could expect some real improvements soundwise by swapping the PC-110 with the 205-II L. How is the quality of the 205C compared to the PC-110 that sits on the turntable now?

Obviously I need to buy a new stylus for the 205C-II L so I'd also like to know which one you'd recommend that is sure to be compatible.

What about retipping the 205C-IIX stylus? Is it possible (see pictures below), or even worth it considering the new alternatives today.

I'll post some pictures below of the stylus and cartridge. Maybe you can tell if there are some obvious flaws or faults that I have missed before I buy I new stylus for this.

Thanks!
Attachments
Cartridge 2.jpg
Cartridge 2
Cartridge.jpg
Cartridge
Stylus 2.jpg
Stylus 2
Stylus.jpg
Stylus 1
Stylus broken.jpg
Stylus with its missing needle tip
Mrgroovy

Norway

Re: Question regarding 205C-II L and new stylus

Postby Mrgroovy » 16 Jul 2017 18:49

Maxium 5 pics per post so I'll throw in the last two here.

Thanks.
Attachments
Technics box.jpg
EPS 270ED Stylus BOX. Have no idea where this (270ES stylus) is now and if it was indeed a new stylus inside.
Cartridge and Stylus.jpg
205C-II L and 205C-IIX
Mrgroovy

Norway

Postby lynnot » 17 Jul 2017 16:49

The Technics EPC 205C-II L is a very decent cartridge. These days comparable quality MM carts are over €300,-

Jico from Japan provides for a good and expensive replacement needle - possibly better than the original one. Retipping is an option as well and might be cheaper.

(I like my old Panasonic cartridge)
lynnot

Postby Sunwire » 17 Jul 2017 18:07

I'm not familiar with the Pioneer PC-110/II, so I can't comment on that.
But I own a pair of 205C-IIL cartridges.
I think they are very good and probably would not trade them for any new moving magnet cartridge under about $250.
Jico makes three replacement needles and a couple others that are identical except for the color of the plastic.
.3x.7 elliptical on aluminum cantilever
SAS stylus on sapphire cantilever
SAS stylus on ruby cantilever

I have the first two and have no plans to buy the ruby cantilever model for $411.

The 205ED and 205EX Jico makes are identical except for plastic color.
Since the 205ED is $22 cheaper, that's the one I recommend.
https://www.jico-stylus.com/product_inf ... cts_id=655
I think the EPS-205EX neoSAS/S is also worth the money at $211.
https://www.jico-stylus.com/product_inf ... ts_id=1660
Sunwire
contributor

United States of America

Postby Mrgroovy » 19 Jul 2017 12:04

Thank you both for you replies. I ended up ordering the Jico EPS205ED replacement stylus. Will let you know how it (and the cartridge) stands up against the PC-110 when I've tried it.

Thanks!
Mrgroovy

Norway

Postby Sunwire » 19 Jul 2017 20:46

It is worth keeping an eye out for original needles for these cartridges, if you can find one that is new old stock or not too worn.
I have several.
Both the EPS-205EX and the EPS-207ED, which also fits.
They are better than the Jico elliptical in my limited experience. They sound smoother and more natural. But my Jico needle may not be worn in yet. I haven't used it too much.
The EPS-206 needles should also fit, but I think these are pretty rare.
Sunwire
contributor

United States of America

Return to Cartridges and Preamps