Preferred Interconnect Brands

the thin end of the wedge
JDB82

Re: Preferred Interconnect Brands

Post by JDB82 » 19 Jul 2017 17:07

Take it easy, of course I am not serious. And I can see how it could upset you, so I do apologize.
I dont care what level you think my expression is. But anyways, my intention was not to upset you.

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 19 Jul 2017 19:03

I placed an order with Douglas Connection for some DIY kits here http://www.douglasconnection.com/Bravo- ... YICKIT.htm The cable is made by Furez, and specs are shown if you scroll down the page. They are well-shielded, but not necessarily low-capacitance like the ones at BJC, so we shall see. I went with Douglas Connection's own locking RCAs, but they have higher-end ones as well. All this talk about cables here in this thread, but the connectors are just as important. My existing DIY cables have poor connectors (my mistake), so I'm looking forward to the locking ones.

I seriously considered the Morrows, and even emailed Mike Morrow with some questions. I have a Schiit Mani gathering dust due to RFI issues, so with limited shielding in the Morrows, I was hesitant. Of course Mike Morrow is a salesman for his product, so he reminded me of their 60-day trial/refund period, but with a 20-day break-in time...well. I also specifically asked WHY such a long break-in time, and his reply was, "we are not sure." But as JDB has mentioned, there are lots of positive reviews out there about Morrows ICs, so I guess they sound good in at least some folks' systems.

Btw JDB, Douglas Connection is just down the road from you in Austin.

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Legrace » 19 Jul 2017 19:42

To Legrace;
You are very practical.
My budget precludes otherwise. :lol: I wonder why no Siltech recommendation anywhere in this thread? Do I make a mistake?

sysynn
Korea South

Post by sysynn » 19 Jul 2017 19:56

Legrace wrote:I wonder why no Siltech recommendation anywhere in this thread? Do I make a mistake?
Nope.
The performance/price ratio is excellent for high end gear.
I saw a gentleman having upper level system than mine, use your 330i IC.

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Legrace » 19 Jul 2017 19:59

sysynn wrote:
Legrace wrote:I wonder why no Siltech recommendation anywhere in this thread? Do I make a mistake?
Nope.
The performance/price ratio is excellent for high end gear.
I saw a gentleman having upper level system than mine, use your 330i IC.
Thank you!

JoeE SP9
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 19 Jul 2017 21:27

If you live in the US I can highly recommend DH Labs IC's and speaker cables. I've been using them since switching from Kimber Silver Streak and TC-8 twenty plus years ago.

billshurv
long player
long player

Post by billshurv » 19 Jul 2017 23:48

JDB82 wrote:Billshurv, what brand of expensive cables did you use? Just bc they are very high precision in the measured spec's doesn't mean they will be like audiophile cables. Did they sound very similar to the BJ cables?
I bet they did.
As I said earlier in this thread, my goto is Van Damme at just over £1 a meter. I am not interested in 'audiophile cables', I'm interested in signal integrity. Current project will culminate in all low level interfaces in my system being balanced as there are too many compromises in single ended design.

Humans hear with their eyes first. Except for those unfortunate enough to have severe visual impairment the eyes can and will over ride the ears. This is also why sighted and unsighted listening tests very often give different answers. Synesthesia sufferers also hear in colour and taste.

For these stories of fine tuning systems with cables costing more than I spent on my complete system there are only two options
1. The cables are so bad that they actually do affect the sound for the worse.
2. It's all in the mind. You read that silver cables sound bright, so they do etc. Big shiny cables with as thick as your wrist with 'network boxes' on each end MUST be better because the marketing pamphlet says so.

Liking expensive cables isn't bad, I just wish people would accept they just like the look of them rather than add woo and foo about timing and veils and how the wife said they sounded better from the kitchen.

BTW for anyone actually interested in understanding what matters rather than take the word of a company trying to sell them the latest and greatest I would read this https://centralindianaaes.files.wordpre ... s-v1-0.pdf . It's only a little bit technical but covers the sort of things that matter when the signal needs to get through unmolested. You know like CERN or LIGO.

At the end of the day audio is just a hobby, but unless you have unlimited upgrade budget spend it wisely and remember, if the choice is expensive wires or more music, get the music!

JDB82

Post by JDB82 » 20 Jul 2017 00:22

The long break in time is for real, that is all I can say. I went through it and checked the sound at different hours of burn in. I played them hooked up to a receiver from a BD players usb input, with cd rips set on repeat. Non stop, but for maybe a day or 2, and it took about 22 days in total.
It was worth the wait for $140.

billshurv
long player
long player

Post by billshurv » 20 Jul 2017 04:06

But what can have possibly changed from running a small AC signal through it? If mankind can measure gravitational waves passing through us surely we could measure the effect of burn in? There is no method for burn in to work at a physical level other than the connectors losing springiness over time and so making things worse.

In the uk a company offers to burn in your cables for you!

billrog787

Post by billrog787 » 20 Jul 2017 06:31

A word of warning to exotic phono cable purchasers. The phono plugs on some of these can cause problems however ‘expensive’ they might look. A friend of mine bought some exotic cables for his hi-fi and lived with them for a while. When he got fed up with these and swapped them out for another brand with different phono plugs, he got problems. We tracked this down to the centre pins of the phono plugs on the first cable being larger in diameter than normal, which expanded the connecter grip on the phono socket on his amp too much, causing a poor connection with the more “standard” phono plugs on the next set of cables. In the end we had to replace the sockets on the amp with new ones to fix it properly. There seems to be a lack of proper standards for the dimensions of the RCA phono connecter system.

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Legrace » 20 Jul 2017 11:58

billrog787 wrote:A word of warning to exotic phono cable purchasers. The phono plugs on some of these can cause problems however ‘expensive’ they might look. A friend of mine bought some exotic cables for his hi-fi and lived with them for a while. When he got fed up with these and swapped them out for another brand with different phono plugs, he got problems. We tracked this down to the centre pins of the phono plugs on the first cable being larger in diameter than normal, which expanded the connecter grip on the phono socket on his amp too much, causing a poor connection with the more “standard” phono plugs on the next set of cables. In the end we had to replace the sockets on the amp with new ones to fix it properly. There seems to be a lack of proper standards for the dimensions of the RCA phono connecter system.
Too bad your friend encountered this issue. The RCA plugs on the Siltech cables are superb. Easy insertion, then rotate the outer barrel which tightens the ground collar down for a secure connection. Fit and finish far superior to anything I've tried in the past.
Attachments
siltech rca.jpg
(9.43 KiB) Downloaded 122 times

sysynn
Korea South

Post by sysynn » 21 Jul 2017 20:37

billrog787 wrote:A word of warning to exotic phono cable purchasers. The phono plugs on some of these can cause problems however ‘expensive’ they might look. A friend of mine bought some exotic cables for his hi-fi and lived with them for a while. When he got fed up with these and swapped them out for another brand with different phono plugs, he got problems. We tracked this down to the centre pins of the phono plugs on the first cable being larger in diameter than normal, which expanded the connecter grip on the phono socket on his amp too much, causing a poor connection with the more “standard” phono plugs on the next set of cables. In the end we had to replace the sockets on the amp with new ones to fix it properly. There seems to be a lack of proper standards for the dimensions of the RCA phono connecter system.
In order to enhance contact between pin and socket, pin size of some cable RCA should be larger than normal while other exotic makers use standard pin size.

Also In order to maintain sure gripping pin for long time, there are various receptacle structures of female RCA; 1. uniform wrapping using quality material, 2. quarter/half circle style structure, 3. single bar style adopted by Eichmann. Pins also have various types; simple pin, half/quarter split style.

For budget reason, Many female RCAs use uniform wrapping with cheap material.
In this case, your kinds of trouble occurs. Don't have to replace sockets. Curing tip is very simple.
Just treat enlarged uniform wrapping with needle.

billshurv
long player
long player

Post by billshurv » 21 Jul 2017 20:53

RCAs are horrid nasty things however you look at it. There are better alternatives for those who can solder. The best advice is to use the same manufacturer for male and female, so if you like WBT connectors ensure you get your unit upgraded to WBT females so you know that they work together. If your unit has plastic moulded dual RCAs with PCB mount you have my sympathies.

sysynn
Korea South

Post by sysynn » 21 Jul 2017 20:58

WBT RCA pin adopts split structure for enhancing contact.

wojo58

Post by wojo58 » 21 Jul 2017 22:52

So I waited 5 pages for some mention of cheaper cables, but alas.....

So am I fooling myself that a $17 10ft RCA cable is a step up from a thread-like cheapo RCA cable I got from Best Buy? I am talking about the KableDirekt and MonoPrice cables specifically. They sure seem beefier........

awaiting ostracization...