Preferred Interconnect Brands

the thin end of the wedge
billshurv
long player
long player

Re: Preferred Interconnect Brands

Post by billshurv » 18 Jul 2017 01:30

There is way more to how materials interact with the E-field than basic interconnect specs, like capacitance, etc.
There really isn't at audio. Screen coverage and impedance* is the #1 you have to look for other than that audio isn't fussy. I've used fearsomely expensive cables, but that was because they needed to be certified for lab use at RF. For audio the biggest gain is going balanced as then you are actually caring about signal integrity. And there is nothing wrong with going 'damn these $$$ cables look good' and accepting that its the looks that make them sound good, not the way they are made. I'd rather spend the money on music.

*This can be proven easily and is good science.

JDB82

Post by JDB82 » 18 Jul 2017 04:18

I can hear better timing with my Morrows, with digital playback especially, compared to BJ's, it sounds like a different source is playing than with the BJ's.
Its not just tone, I can easily tell the phase is way better. Bass is tighter, more depth and air.
I'm sure their are many over the top expensive brands that dont live up to their price.

And if you are going to tell me, that the timing and sound location ques I am hearing now is just manipulation of the tone. Then I dont care if that where to be true, it still sounds better.
I believe Morrows design philosophy holds up, so do many others. I heard exactly what he said I could expect, even with the 20 day burn in. They start off pretty good when you first get them, you can hear the potential. Then they get worse over time but by the end, they start opening up again.

Have you ever experimented with your homes electrical? Different duplex cover plates can change the sound of your system. There is more to audio related to the electric field than the basics.
Its just not worth Universities time and money to do some super in depth study.
But you can just use your own ears and experiment, that's the only way to find out.
Last edited by JDB82 on 18 Jul 2017 04:28, edited 1 time in total.

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 18 Jul 2017 04:24

JDB82 wrote:You guys probably have had way more experience with different brands.
My first step was with Morrow and I know now, that cables do matter. And of course the science is not there. I dont think anyone with the facility to do more exotic measuring cares. There is way more to how materials interact with the E-field than basic interconnect specs, like capacitance, etc.
I have read that Morrow cables (at least ICs) have a crazy long break-in time. How did that go for you? I read it's at least 400hrs, where they sound just ok at first, then sound kind of bad, and then eventually sound great.

JDB82

Post by JDB82 » 18 Jul 2017 04:29

Just posted about that at same time almost, look above.
Down to the T with break in explanation and sound you will hear.
I would only buy the IC's, too scared of the high capacitance arm wire. But many people say it benefits the arm wire as well. I guess the trade off is worth it compared to the overall sound.
If I could, I would buy his speaker wire as well, after hearing the difference with his IC design. I imagine the same qualities from the IC's would be amplified with same designed speaker wire.
Ugh sorry for the bad writing #-o

billshurv
long player
long player

Post by billshurv » 18 Jul 2017 10:19

JDB82 wrote:I can hear better timing with my Morrows, with digital playback especially, compared to BJ's, it sounds like a different source is playing than with the BJ's.
Its not just tone, I can easily tell the phase is way better. Bass is tighter, more depth and air.
I'm sure their are many over the top expensive brands that dont live up to their price.

And if you are going to tell me, that the timing and sound location ques I am hearing now is just manipulation of the tone. Then I dont care if that where to be true, it still sounds better.
I believe Morrows design philosophy holds up, so do many others. I heard exactly what he said I could expect, even with the 20 day burn in. They start off pretty good when you first get them, you can hear the potential. Then they get worse over time but by the end, they start opening up again.

Have you ever experimented with your homes electrical? Different duplex cover plates can change the sound of your system. There is more to audio related to the electric field than the basics.
Its just not worth Universities time and money to do some super in depth study.
But you can just use your own ears and experiment, that's the only way to find out.
Morrow uses UTP (unshielded twisted pair). From an EMC and grounding perspective (you know the boring stuff you can measure) that is actually the worst way to do an unbalanced interconnect. It's very possible what you like about them is the added sparkle all the grunge they pick up add to your music. The basic cables are $55 so they are not ripping you off, even if their 'technology' is pure woo.

If you are happy with them, that is good, but they are not a good choice for accuracy or signal integrity. Plain old belden coax is way better, but without the great story!

Laila1

Post by Laila1 » 18 Jul 2017 10:39

I think that is time to "Try The McGurk Effect! - Horizon: Is Seeing Believing?" :wink: :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-lN8vWm3m0

/ Lars

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Legrace » 18 Jul 2017 18:33

So impressed with the initial pair of Siltech cables have decided to stay with the same brand for the balance of my system. After the IC's thinking speaker cables as well, but only after the cc recovers. :lol: Thanks for all the help everyone!

Budddhacide

Post by Budddhacide » 18 Jul 2017 22:18

Blue Jean all the way, especially for vinyl.

sysynn
Korea South

Post by sysynn » 19 Jul 2017 15:24

If some guys' opinions in small town are true, All famous cable companies already closed their business 20yrs ago. :lol:

Let me introduce famous high-end I.C in worldwide.

$3335 : Kimber K1136

$5000 : Tchernov Ultimate
http://tchernovcable.com/en/products/ul ... ct-cables/

$7600 : Nordost Vahalla 2
http://www.theabsolutesound.com/article ... wer-cable/

$13000 : hemingway Creation
http://www.audiooutlet.co.kr/ao/mall/ao ... code=10909

$7500 : Audioquest WEL signature
http://www.audioquest.com/reference-ser ... -signature

Not Snake Oil Product of the Year story. No illusion by preconception.

Cable makers offer 2wks-month free trials and simple returns without asking any questions.

Customer who use these cable by demands of his system resolution, are so smart to make big money and can buy these cables.

billshurv
long player
long player

Post by billshurv » 19 Jul 2017 16:04

Sysynn: You are a true believer and as such will not let pesky facts get in the way of a great marketing story. Rejoice that your car mechanic, doctor and the people who built the house you live in don't!

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Legrace » 19 Jul 2017 16:09

sysynn wrote:If some guys' opinions in small town are true, All famous cable companies already closed their business 20yrs ago. :lol:

Let me introduce famous high-end I.C in worldwide.

$3335 : Kimber K1136

$5000 : Tchernov Ultimate
http://tchernovcable.com/en/products/ul ... ct-cables/

$7600 : Nordost Vahalla 2
http://www.theabsolutesound.com/article ... wer-cable/

$13000 : hemingway Creation
http://www.audiooutlet.co.kr/ao/mall/ao ... code=10909

$7500 : Audioquest WEL signature
http://www.audioquest.com/reference-ser ... -signature

Cable makers offer 2wks-month free trials and simple returns without asking any questions.

Customer who use these cable by demands of his system resolution, are so smart to make big money and can buy these cables.
Compare to these ones Siltech 330i is like budget cable! Nevertheless still employ silver conductor so providing very clean low noise signal. 8)

JDB82

Post by JDB82 » 19 Jul 2017 16:18

Morrow uses UTP (unshielded twisted pair). From an EMC and grounding perspective (you know the boring stuff you can measure) that is actually the worst way to do an unbalanced interconnect. It's very possible what you like about them is the added sparkle all the grunge they pick up add to your music. The basic cables are $55 so they are not ripping you off, even if their 'technology' is pure woo.

If you are happy with them, that is good, but they are not a good choice for accuracy or signal integrity. Plain old belden coax is way better, but without the great story!
I have the MA3's, I felt comfortable trying them out for $140. And its pretty common to hear how the dielectric interferes with audio.
I do hear a little grain compared to the BJ's but they more than make up for it in timing.
Its not the added interference that gives them the attributes I like, I can guarantee you that.
I dont have a bad enough problem with interference for it to be an issue.
I think the BJ's sound good but their ability to get the sound location ques are no where near the Morrows.
And I do believe that ones particular system, might need something completely different.
I was discussing Morrows on another forum and a member just got some used MA1's for his cd player. All he said was that he had a tear roll from his eye, listening to one of his favorite albums and that he wasnt going to get rid of them.
I care less about the plain old signal integrity, what about the correct phase reaching your amplification electronics. Thats when you really connect with the music.

With how many seem to have great experiences with Morrows, and lots of them are return customers upgrading. Their must be something to his design philosophy.

Guys who have extreme RFI issues, like with the Mani. They probably should go a different route. Couldnt hurt to try them out for 30 days and if they did hear excessive emi/rfi, just send them back for refund.

And I will say that a little of the interference could be adding some sparkle and tone. But its the location and movement of sound, that was the biggest difference compared to BJ's.
Makes me want to try a DAC known to have great phase/timing with them.

Glad the OP enjoys his IC's.
Last edited by JDB82 on 19 Jul 2017 16:29, edited 1 time in total.

sysynn
Korea South

Post by sysynn » 19 Jul 2017 16:27

To billshruv;
I am not joking.
I already had heard sounds from luxurious systems using one of expensive cables. compare sounds by changing cables in his system. It is quite different.
I feel sound of my system is relatively inferior. (click my profile, you see what system I am using)
Prices are determined by the rule of demand and supply. As an example of brain surgery, some doctor can cure it, others can not. As an example of luxury house, some architect can design and build it, other can not.
All matters with the level of technical expertise.

To Legrace;
You are very practical.
Last edited by sysynn on 19 Jul 2017 16:45, edited 1 time in total.

JDB82

Post by JDB82 » 19 Jul 2017 16:33

Billshurv, what brand of expensive cables did you use? Just bc they are very high precision in the measured spec's doesn't mean they will be like audiophile cables. Did they sound very similar to the BJ cables?
I bet they did.

To synysinner: :) That small town guy is doing very well for himself. I can only say they are good for the price. I have not experienced anything close to your system, pretty awesome indeed. I am going to look up your tape player.
I hope you have an underground bunker for a listening room. :shock:

sysynn
Korea South

Post by sysynn » 19 Jul 2017 16:53

JDB82 wrote: To synysinner:
Is this the level of your word ? expression by jerk.
I think English is not your native language. Watch your mouth