Preferred Interconnect Brands

the thin end of the wedge
Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Re: Preferred Interconnect Brands

Post by Legrace » 12 Jul 2017 23:10

First step taken. I make an offer on Siltech 330i interconnect.

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Legrace » 13 Jul 2017 15:51

Legrace wrote:First step taken. I make an offer on Siltech 330i interconnect.
My bid was successful. :) So first stretch of signal path is teed up.

sysynn
Korea South

Post by sysynn » 13 Jul 2017 16:30

Hope lucky hole in one.
Kimber silver streak is another candidate if you don't like siltech.

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Legrace » 17 Jul 2017 14:10

Rec'd the Slitech cables. They just ooze quality. Beautiful RCA's with locking collars. Installed them between my phono pre and my preamp. Unfortunately the follow on leads to my power amps are still the poorly shielded low end hw store variety. Imagine need to address these as well before I can gain full benefit. :? Rearranging my hardware has reduced the lengths needed at least, still stunned at the per foot cost of some of these.

billshurv
long player
long player

Post by billshurv » 17 Jul 2017 16:05

Like I said, anything over $50 for a terminated pair is paying for the bling and pride of ownership. These can change perception in worrying ways.

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Legrace » 17 Jul 2017 18:33

I see Van den Hul offer an IC "especially suited" for tube amps. Since my power amps are tube based these caught my eye. It's their First Metal Screen IC. Anyone with any experience with these?

Dr Pan K

Post by Dr Pan K » 17 Jul 2017 20:27

VdH cables are a bit muffled, lack in detail compared to just about everything else out-there.

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Legrace » 17 Jul 2017 20:45

Dr Pan K wrote:VdH cables are a bit muffled, lack in detail compared to just about everything else out-there.
Starting to appreciate that choice of IC's has a big impact. Your preference?

theclosetguy
United States of America

Post by theclosetguy » 17 Jul 2017 21:36

Heres what I did. I went of to my local pro-audio shop, in this case Ametron. I bought a pair of Pro Studio Grade interconnects. 3 meter pair. The stuff recording studios use. $40.00 bucks. I bought 6 additional sets of gold plated RCA connectors. I cut the 3 meter set into 4 equal lengths. Stripped the ends. Soldered on the new RCA Plugs. I now have 4 Pro Studio/Recording interconnects. Can I hear the difference between these or the ones I bought 9 years ago when I purchased my Rega Jupiter. Nope. Any difference in these and the ones I bought 6 years ago when I bought my PrimaLuna Prologue 3. Nope. I made the mistake of once buying a set of interconnects with a wire gauge of 18. They sounded like mud. Anything over 22 gauge sounds spectacular.
The only wire that has made any difference in my system is the speaker cables. I have tested many and found that some of the better ones sound better than buying wire and making my own.
Mike M

sysynn
Korea South

Post by sysynn » 17 Jul 2017 22:15

If you don't like resulting sound of famous brand cables (VDH,Siltech), Must be chinese fakes. :lol:
Original Cable costing above $100 sounds much better than DIY cable.

Appearance of Fakes, lettering, color, inside structure, etc., are exactly same as original.
Unless you use fakes or confirmed by cable maker, you can not recognize.

Sad thing is that;
Likewise Epidemic, Many fakes have been redistributed in market as used one, trade-in, brand new, etc.
Some one conceal fake and sell it to market. Other may not know fake, just don't like sound and sell it to market.
Last edited by sysynn on 17 Jul 2017 22:39, edited 5 times in total.

ehtoo
long player
long player

Post by ehtoo » 17 Jul 2017 22:16

I've been using Actinote Arias, a Belgium made cable for years and they are stunning, and JPS Labs superconductor 3's (no slouches). I'm going to audition two cables, both from two Quebec manufacturers - the BIS and Luna - based on Art Dudley's reviews and out of curiosity. The Luna "Reds" were described as "vivid" and, thought not the original question posed, a set of their "orange" power chords which are reported to be impactful. In my vintage set-up which consists of a Fisher 500B, Kimber cable sounds the best vs. Cardas.

I've dabbled with pretty well most cabling brands out there (run of the mill through esoteric brands) over the past 15 years. What I've noticed with interconnects is what sounds good in one system doesn't necessarily compliment another collection of gear. Best bet is to find a dealer that will allow one to audition a cable before plunking down your hard earned currency.

rocky01

Post by rocky01 » 17 Jul 2017 22:59

ehtoo wrote:... Best bet is to find a dealer that will allow one to audition a cable before plunking down your hard earned currency.
Agreed.

sysynn
Korea South

Post by sysynn » 17 Jul 2017 23:00

ehtoo wrote: Best bet is to find a dealer that will allow one to audition a cable before plunking down your hard earned currency.
I definitely agree with you, ehtoo.
Also, In my case, I did not resell fake and dumped fake into trash box evenif paid a lot.

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Legrace » 17 Jul 2017 23:36

If you don't like resulting sound of famous brand cables (VDH,Siltech), Must be chinese fakes. :lol:
Original Cable costing above $100 sounds much better than DIY cable.

Appearance of Fakes, lettering, color, inside structure, etc., are exactly same as original.
Unless you use fakes or confirmed by cable maker, you can not recognize.
On Siltech site is warning about counterfeits. Assume VDH are having same problem.

JDB82

Post by JDB82 » 18 Jul 2017 00:42

You guys probably have had way more experience with different brands.
My first step was with Morrow and I know now, that cables do matter. And of course the science is not there. I dont think anyone with the facility to do more exotic measuring cares. There is way more to how materials interact with the E-field than basic interconnect specs, like capacitance, etc.