Preferred Interconnect Brands

the thin end of the wedge
RobertParry

Re: Preferred Interconnect Brands

Post by RobertParry » 10 Jul 2017 00:17

Got to agree with chord, much better than the standard cables, but no silly prices either!

Regards,

Rob

jusbe
Great Britain

Post by jusbe » 10 Jul 2017 01:47

Legrace wrote:I want to get some higher quality interconnects. Prices are like all over the map. Good value/performance suggestions?
What are you using now?

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Legrace » 10 Jul 2017 13:38

jusbe wrote:
Legrace wrote:I want to get some higher quality interconnects. Prices are like all over the map. Good value/performance suggestions?
What are you using now?
Well let's just say the place I bought them also sells kitchen sinks, power tools, etc. Domino principle, upgrade one thing and the rest needs to keep pace. :roll:

Considering Siltech 330's (I see a discounted pair at a local HiFi shop, assuming they are good) for the phono pre to the preamp, for preamp to tube amps thinking Audioquest or Atlas based on the feedback so far. Not sure which ones yet though. :-k

Pikey
England

Post by Pikey » 10 Jul 2017 13:55

I've got some nice DNM solid core speaker cables here, they can be expensive these days but I got them relatively cheap back in the 80's I think?

http://www.dnm.co.uk/

rocky01

Post by rocky01 » 10 Jul 2017 14:35

Audioquest Ruby sans 1990s - very satisfied - and their customer service lasts for the life of the cables. They re-terminated the Ruby cable a while back and my Crystal 2 speaker cables for free a few years ago.

billshurv
long player
long player

Post by billshurv » 10 Jul 2017 15:08

Now I don't want to ignite anything but spending more than £50 on a cable becomes a belief thing rather than any performance improvement. You would get more gains buying more music or upgrading something that actually matters. But it is your money. Expensive cable is high markup easy earner. You are being had by the marketing if you think differently.

But free world. And I accept I can wield a soldering iron.

rocky01

Post by rocky01 » 10 Jul 2017 17:13

I wouldn't set it at that price point but I do agree on the high markup and marketing that goes on. Decent cable at reasonable price is prudent.

sysynn
Korea South

Post by sysynn » 10 Jul 2017 17:32

Well, Using high price cable or not, depends on the resolution of catridge, phono, amp and speaker that you use.
Also precision set-up of catridge and tonearm also matters with system resoultion.

If you can hear James Taylor's back chorus clearly in Karla Bonoff- Water is wide, can hear more instruments in complex textured symphony, or hear third or more harmonics of strings, you guys would not say that.

There is enough reason for Cable market.
Cable maker release their products in market after real testing at various audio system configurations
(from entry level to high end level).

Sometimes, amateur level testing (simple frequency-response curve with variation of R,C) with uncertified measurement using ordinary test equipment, could not check overall sound quality.

sysynn
Korea South

Post by sysynn » 10 Jul 2017 18:27

If someone needs more resolution according to his preference and music genre, he would buy high quality cable.
If not, don't have to buy pricy cable, DIY cable is an wise decision.

All matters with personal preference and musical taste.

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 10 Jul 2017 20:50

I'm going to step-up my IC game as well, and besides Blue Jean Cable and Audioquest, here are a few other vendors I'm considering.

KAB Electro Acoustics https://www.kabusa.com
Morrow http://morrowaudio.com (already mentioned by JDB82)
Signal Cable http://www.signalcable.com
Douglas Connection http://www.douglasconnection.com (They have DIY kits so you can save a few bucks.)

All of those sites have different price levels to choose from for the cable and the connectors, and with most you can get customized lengths, so whatever makes the most sense for you.

Incidentally regarding BJC, I got a quality CAT5/ethernet patch cable from them that fixed a buffering problem I was having on my Logitech SqueezeBox Touch when streaming Pandora/Spotify directly from my router (i.e., not wifi). They custom-made it to the length I specified, used quality termination connectors (and properly spec'd pinouts), and included a printout showing quality control testing results which they conduct after construction. Not all ethernet cable is created equal, and sloppy pinouts with cheap connectors that fit loosely will significantly degrade throughput. Before, I had been using a patch cable from Home Depot, assuming all ethernet cables were the same. If you ever have delay problems with a networked DAC, the ethernet cable should be the first thing checked.

EdAInWestOC
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by EdAInWestOC » 11 Jul 2017 19:27

Way back when I was using a passive/active preamp (SUMO Athena) I searched for an IC that would sound great when the preamp was in passive mode. Most ICs that I tried sounded reasonable with that preamp in active mode but when in passive mode the sound suffered.

That was when I went on a trek looking for an IC cable that would sound neutral and preserve as much low level content as possible (BTW: that is why you spend mega-bucks on some cables. Its for the preservation of low level content and tonal character).

NOTE: I was not a big believer in expensive cables until I tried the original Kimber Hero interconnect. It was the cable that made my setup sound great whether it was in passive or active mode. The original Kimber Hero has as little sonic character as you will find in a cable. The original Kimber Hero is an all copper interconnect that came with WBT connectors.

Now the Kimber Hero can be had with something they call the UltraPlate connector and I cannot make any statement on the Kimber Hero with these connectors. I have many pairs of Kimber Hero interconnects and each pair is a copper IC with WBT connectors.

The WBT is a locking connector that makes a positive connection with the RCA jack by rotating the outside collar counterclockwise. This tightens the connector on the RCA jack and ensures a positive connection. If you buy WBT connectors separately they will cost you over $100/pair. They are not cheap.

The all copper Kimber Hero with WBT connectors now goes for over $300 USD per 1 meter pair. Thats a lot for many people but in the world of high quality ICs, the Kimber Hero is a low priced cable. I believe that The Absolute Sound magazine named the Kimber Hero their interconnect of the year for several years running (if you care about such things).

Now you can buy the Kimber Hero in copper, silver, with WBT 0114 connectors, with WBT 0102 connectors, Balanced connectors or Ultraplate connectors or there is a select version of the Hero that goes for well over $1000 USD. The Kimber Hero is an outstanding connector and you could choose many other connectors that cost more and don't perform as well.

When it comes to phono interconnects the whole ballgame changes. The voltage levels that the phono IC has to transfer are microscopically small. It takes an outstanding cable to do this well and not to lose any of the low level details. The phono cable can also impart its own sound to your system too, so choosing one is critical to your system sound quality.

I tried the Kimber Hero as a phono IC and it wasn't bad. I was searching for a better cable and ended up buying the Audioquest Leopard (approx $800 USD/1m pair). The Audioquest Leopard is one of those Audioquest cables with the dielectric bias system included. That is the cable with a battery connected to the outer shield.

Before anyone begins the flaming, I beat you to it many years ago when this battery thing was first introduced. I could not believe in it as a viable thing. I still look at it with disdain but when it comes to a phono interconnect this battery on the shield does something.

I know its impossible from anything I know about electronics but I have heard it with and without the battery and it has an effect. Go figure, I lived and learned that there is something with this thing, but I'm still a skeptic.

Ed

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Legrace » 11 Jul 2017 19:52

Based on advice from my Tannoys going to go with Atlas for the power amp interconnects and still liking Siltech for the Phono interconnect - once I can verify they are not counterfeits. :harhar:

Finger Painter

Post by Finger Painter » 11 Jul 2017 21:03

I though I'd posted on this thread but may be not

My personal preference goes for Ecosse Nu-Diva. They are not cheap (but not particularly expensive either when compared to many) but they do a great job with my D-Class power amps.

I have tried quite a few others including some ridiculously expensive cables loaned from a friend and some cheap and cheerful but the Ecosse tick the right boxes for me. I also have a set of their bi-wired speaker cables (a freebie) but I have yet to give them a whirl.

I did use Atlas for some years but they didn't really gel with the D-Class mono's despite them being very capable and well made cables.

The other cables I've tried in the past with great results were the US made Tara-labs. Great all round cables, but they do price from reasonable to silly. But I'll give them my thumbs up.

nigel1360
England

Post by nigel1360 » 12 Jul 2017 10:45

I use throughout my system Profigold Oxypure, which are dutch. They are very reasonable price wise and are good quality. I have used Chord, Van Den Hul and others over time, but these are cables that just get out of the way and haven't stretched the bank balance. I use Atlas Equator for the speakers and do have a pair of the original Rega Couple in my system which is actually a fairly bright item but matches favourably with the Profigold. In fact they are made by Klotz (AC110)but rebadged.

metrofarm

Post by metrofarm » 12 Jul 2017 13:49

DIY shielded microphone cable as short as you can get away with. Solder them up, a nice project and enjoy the tunes. Are you finding a particular issue with what you've got? I ask because my understanding of DBX tests is that you won't hear any difference between cables. This is what I use as my preferred interconnects.