the home of the turntable

Preferred Interconnect Brands

the thin end of the wedge

Preferred Interconnect Brands

Postby Legrace » 08 Jul 2017 23:13

I want to get some higher quality interconnects. Prices are like all over the map. Good value/performance suggestions?
Reanimated vinyl enthusiast circa 2015; #1: AudioMods V on Rega RP6/Kiseki Purple Heart/Sutherland Phd/Siltech IC's/Marantz PM11S1/VTA M-125 monoblocks/Tannoy D700/SVS SB2000; (man cave) #2: Dual 721/Apheta 2/Headroom LMP/Senn HD650; (office) #3: Technics SA-GX330/Defintive AW500 (outdoor patio)
Legrace

Canada

Re: Preferred Interconnect Brands

Postby VinylDan1 » 08 Jul 2017 23:31

My one system has Blue Jeans Cable, the other uses Audioquest Evergreen. No problems with either, I'd get whatever is more affordable/readily available.
VinylDan1

United States of America

Postby kb007 » 09 Jul 2017 00:19

I'm partial to Cardas neutral reference, for my analog connections. Not cheapest, but excellent quality and sound for the buck. What's your expectation (or budget) for say a 1 M unbalanced interconnect?
Main: JMLab Mezzo Utopias, Oracle Delphi Mk 1/6, SME309, Sumiko Celebration, AR CD3, Sutherland Insight, Moon P5, AR VT-100 Sec: Rega P6/RB2K Lim Iso base, Acrylic skeletal plinth/braces, dbl pulley, gt sub, DV 17D3, Anthem AVM60, Krell 402e, , 2X Anthem MCA50, Acoustech PH-1, Totem Mani-2
kb007

Canada

Postby sysynn » 09 Jul 2017 02:30

Audioquest Diamond/Lapis, Kimber Kable KCAG/silver streak, Van den Hul Integration.

A lot of chinese fakes have been distributed in grey market like epidemic for long time.
I also, bought chinese fake (for 2/3 of the list price)in Audiogon 5yrs.
I understand that many guys have negative feeling about famous brand model.

Recommend authorized dealer or shop that you can give credit.
2 audio systems, details in my profile
sysynn

Korea South

Postby sysynn » 09 Jul 2017 07:39

Original cable is terminated with cold welding or spot arc welding.
Most of fakes are terminated with soldering.
Nowdays, china make mid price range original cable. but they still make fakes.
2 audio systems, details in my profile
sysynn

Korea South

Postby JDB82 » 09 Jul 2017 09:17

Morrow, my first pair of something better than BJ or typical electronics store cables.
It made my 2009 Sony BD player sound like a completely different machine. Everything Morrow says their cables are supposed to help was evident. Especially the phase and timing, with BJ cables there was no location que's, with the Morrow Ma3's the location of sound was brought out like I had never heard in digital playback.
Basically these cables made my $350, at the time of 2009, Sony 3d BD player outperform my Sl-1800mk2 with 440mla, and complete low capacitance rewire from KAB.
It made me really listen to my cd's and ripped cd's on usb flash drive connected to BD player. Found myself totally engaged in waiting and listening for the next location que from the music.
These cables have an absurd break in time but it pays off in the end. Its no BS either, Morroe explains what u will hear at differnt hours of break in and it was spot on with my experience.
I went for these bc I heard so many talking about them on different forums so I thought there must be something to it.
I did note that I did not get the big improvement from my TT setup like the BD player. Could be bc of the more distortion and other problems with vinyl playback, or maybe vinyl playback does not have the same issue with phase like digital.
I cant wait to pair these Morrow MA3's to a good DAC that has great phase/timing to begin with.

Performance to value imo is very high with Morrow cables. I paid $140 for the MA3's on sale and trading in my BJ cables for even more discount. The Blue Jeans got blown completely out of the water. Morrow always has sales going on so dont pay full price ever.
And if you are not happy you have, I think it was 1 month to return them.
Morrows design philosophies must work.

http://morrowaudio.com/
JDB82

United States of America

Postby raphaelmabo » 09 Jul 2017 19:12

AudioQuest or Supra, good quality cables - neutral and lets the details shine through. I also like Ixos, True Color Industries and Real Cable. Also worth mentioning are Chord and QED. All are interesting to seek out.
() Thorens TD 203, TP82 with Benz Micro MC Silver, Thorens MM02
() Marantz CD63 KI Signature, Pioneer A575, Alchemist TS-1D
() Alchemist Nexus, Alchemist Axiom
() Infinity Reference 50, ALR Jordan Entry 2M
raphaelmabo

Sweden

Postby Ottermel » 09 Jul 2017 19:29

My interconnect and speaker cabling is Atlas Cables and Audioquest.
When the music fades so will the world
Ottermel

Canada

Postby patient_ot » 09 Jul 2017 20:45

Most audiophile cables are pure hokum, though some people use them as expensive tone controls. I recommend either getting Blue Jeans, Complete Cable Concepts, or making your own.

IMHO cables need to be short and shielded well with decent quality connectors and overall build quality.

Beyond that, plenty of snake oil out there.
patient_ot
contributor

United States of America

Postby billshurv » 09 Jul 2017 20:49

I make my own. If I were buying made cables would be these http://www.vdctrading.com/shop/manufact ... -to-phono/
billshurv

United Kingdom

Postby Laila1 » 09 Jul 2017 21:06

Mogami W2528 Molded Gold Connectors, from Kabusa.com, have low capacitance and are superb cables, not at least for the money.

/ Lars
Laila1

Postby Dr Pan K » 09 Jul 2017 21:48

Do check Black Cat cables. Amazing vfm
Panagiotis
Dr Pan K
contributor

Greece

Postby bugeyed » 09 Jul 2017 22:08

All AudioQuest. Water for interconnects, Castlerock for speakers & NRG-4 for power. Even the headshell wires are AQ. None are the top AQ cables, but I had a lot of guidance in choosing the best value before the prices got stupid. ,)
Kev
bugeyed

United States of America

Postby billshurv » 09 Jul 2017 22:47

IMO £400 for a 1m pair of audioquest water IS a stupid price.
billshurv

United Kingdom

Postby gfong » 09 Jul 2017 23:08

Atlas Cables here as well. Scottish company with a good range of analog cables. I have their entry level for my power amp and I have their higher level all copper analog cables in use for my SACD player and my phono stage. (I'm using their older line from 4 years ago, Navigator All Cu, Voyager All Cu and Equator MK II)
Very neutral sound, wide soundstage and can tame a harsh speaker.
gfong

Canada

Next

Return to Cartridges and Preamps