the home of the turntable

Ortofon MC cartriges experiences?

the thin end of the wedge

Ortofon MC cartriges experiences?

Postby T.O.S. » 19 Jun 2017 10:52

Hello!
I am looking for a replacement of my MC20 Benz and I can find locally Ortofon MC Vivo Blue (250€), Rondo Red and Q Blue (370€) .The Rondo Red and Q Blue at roughly the same price, around 100€ over the Vivo Blue .
Does the Rondo Redsound worth the price over the Vivo blue ? As far as I see the Q Blue is roughly the Vivo blue reinvented in another body(aluminium vs resin) stylus is the same 8/18 nude elliptical.
My tonearms are Technics (SL1500mk1 and SL-D3).
Cheers , Teo
BenzMicro MC20E2H+TechnicsSL-1500Mk1/Ortofon OMP10+Technics SL-QL5
Technics SL-D3,Leema Elements ,CA 640P Phonostge
Consonance A100Linear,Epos Elan 10,Dynavoice 8"
T.O.S.

Romania

Re: Ortofon MC cartriges experiences?

Postby eddie edirol » 19 Jun 2017 12:03

I use a Rondo Red and it sounds incredible. Of course I didn't have a Vivo to compare it to. (It's really heavy though)
I don't know how different they can sound coming from the same company, but you probably can't go wrong spending the extra 100.
eddie edirol

United States of America

Postby markcass » 19 Jun 2017 13:24

Hi

I used a Rondo Red for years, and I agree it's a very fine cartridge. In fact, I still have one tucked away in my spare cartridge box :)

I have never used a Vivo, but my first MC was one of their ancestors, the MC15 Super. The Rondo is in another league.

I moved on to the Quintet Bronze (and have just upgraded to the Black), and I think these are even better than the Rondo - but not as pretty!

HTH

Mark
Nottingham Analogue Ace Spacedeck+Origin Live Onyx. Ortofon Quintet Black S>Lounge Audio Copla step up+Lounge Audio LCR Mk III. Arcam A28>KEF R100. Sennheiser HD600. Marantz CD6005
markcass
long player
long player
contributor

United Kingdom

Postby T.O.S. » 19 Jun 2017 21:06

Is the Rondo Red sonically about equal to the Q Blue ?
Cheers , Teo
T.O.S.

Romania

Postby T.O.S. » 20 Jun 2017 19:46

not so much experience with the rondo red ? only two answers? :shock:
Cheers , Teo
T.O.S.

Romania

Postby T.O.S. » 22 Jun 2017 16:34

Do the Rondo series fit well with Technics ( wthout vta adjustment) tonearms ? These carts are somehow on the heavy side 10,5g and taller than other 20mm
Cheers , Teo
T.O.S.

Romania

Postby eddie edirol » 22 Jun 2017 17:22

T.O.S. wrote:Do the Rondo series fit well with Technics ( wthout vta adjustment) tonearms ? These carts are somehow on the heavy side 10,5g and taller than other 20mm

Yes, the Rondo works with Technics no problem.
You can see it in my avatar. My turntable has no VTA adjustments.
eddie edirol

United States of America

Postby Ottermel » 22 Jun 2017 17:26

Is the Ortofon Rondo line still available?
I thought it was discontinued ones the Quintet range came in. Ortofon web site does not show them.
When the music fades so will the world
Ottermel

Canada

Postby satanfriendly » 22 Jun 2017 18:16

To my own personal taste I haven't met any Ortofon MC which gets to my soul.

I have tried a few down the years including the uber Winfeld and found a lack of communicative spirit about them. Analytical, detailed and with balanced qualities but to me they try too hard at being all things and miss the big point. They just don't sound musical.

I changed the Winfeld for a re-tipped Supex 900 and my vinyl world seemed at Zen again. The music returned.

Not for me, but I will have to try listen to some other models in their range and see if there is any hope I might yet find an Ortofon MC which makes me think different. Shame as I have liked their MM cartridges down the years.
Twenty Eight
satanfriendly
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

Sao Tome Principe

Postby markcass » 22 Jun 2017 18:58

Ottermel wrote:Is the Ortofon Rondo line still available?
I thought it was discontinued ones the Quintet range came in. Ortofon web site does not show them.

Hi

Yes, discontinued for a few years now. The Quintets came to market in early 2014 IIRC (that's certainly when I acquired my first Bronze).

I thought the Rondo Red was very good value, and always preferred it to the Rondo Blue, which I also used for a while. It was a bit warmer and somehow more expressive. This was only in my system, of course; others might have different experiences. The Red has a big-picture, large-scale sound, but I did find the Quintet Bronze a lot more immediate sounding when I changed over. I never tried the top Rondo Bronze model, though might have done had the range stayed in production.

The Quintet Blue probably (I haven't heard it) displays similar improvements over the Rondo equivalent.

The Quintet Black S I recently installed is a bit special IMHO. That's not to say other MCs in that price range aren't just as well worth hearing - though if you have the funds to try them all, it would be better to move upmarket!

HTH

Mark
Nottingham Analogue Ace Spacedeck+Origin Live Onyx. Ortofon Quintet Black S>Lounge Audio Copla step up+Lounge Audio LCR Mk III. Arcam A28>KEF R100. Sennheiser HD600. Marantz CD6005
markcass
long player
long player
contributor

United Kingdom

Postby T.O.S. » 22 Jun 2017 20:21

eddie edirol wrote:
T.O.S. wrote:Do the Rondo series fit well with Technics ( wthout vta adjustment) tonearms ? These carts are somehow on the heavy side 10,5g and taller than other 20mm

Yes, the Rondo works with Technics no problem.
You can see it in my avatar. My turntable has no VTA adjustments.

Great ,thanks , Eddie !
Cheers , Teo
T.O.S.

Romania

Postby T.O.S. » 22 Jun 2017 20:23

I found available in a online shop in Romania the Rondo red about at the Quintet Blue price.
Cheers , Teo
T.O.S.

Romania

Postby T.O.S. » 22 Jun 2017 20:29

markcass wrote:

Hi

Yes, discontinued for a few years now. The Quintets came to market in early 2014 IIRC (that's certainly when I acquired my first Bronze).

I thought the Rondo Red was very good value, and always preferred it to the Rondo Blue, which I also used for a while. It was a bit warmer and somehow more expressive. This was only in my system, of course; others might have different experiences. The Red has a big-picture, large-scale sound, but I did find the Quintet Bronze a lot more immediate sounding when I changed over. I never tried the top Rondo Bronze model, though might have done had the range stayed in production.

The Quintet Blue probably (I haven't heard it) displays similar improvements over the Rondo equivalent.

The Quintet Black S I recently installed is a bit special IMHO. That's not to say other MCs in that price range aren't just as well worth hearing - though if you have the funds to try them all, it would be better to move upmarket!

HTH

Mark

Thanks for the info, Mark!
Cheers , Teo
T.O.S.

Romania

Postby theclosetguy » 23 Jun 2017 02:24

I used a Rondo Bronze for 3 years before I accidently destroyed the cantilever. I loved the cartridge on my Modified Rega P5 with the RB700 arm. I installed it on my new AR ETL-1 with a Alphason Arm and found it sounded just a bit fuller in this setup. Replaced the damaged one with a Quintet Bronze on the Ar ETL-1 and was blown away at how much better the Quintet sounded right out of the box. Bass extension was better. Mids and highs were similar to the Rondo, just a hair better.
Mike M
Prima Luna Prologue 6 Amps, Prologue 3 preamp, AR ETL-1 Alphason Opal/Ortofon Quintet Bronze, CJ Walker CJ5/Linn Basik Arm Ortofon 2M Mono (2) ProJect Tube Box II, Rega Jupiter CD, Sonos Connect, Custom built Speakers and crossovers.
theclosetguy
contributor

United States of America

Postby Ottermel » 23 Jun 2017 17:05

I got the MC Rondo Bronze with the turntable in my avatar and it sounded great (it was a two-year old demo model with low hours)!!
When the music fades so will the world
Ottermel

Canada

Return to Cartridges and Preamps