the home of the turntable

Rega RP1 and Nagaoka MP110 installation

the thin end of the wedge

Rega RP1 and Nagaoka MP110 installation

Postby halloweenbear3 » 19 May 2017 22:26

Hello Vinyl brethren, my first upgrade to my RP1 was to replace the mat with a cork mat from Vinyl Style and it does seem to sound better. Next I ordered the Edwards Audio "Little Belter" belt replacement for the stock belt. According to a side by side comparison with Rega's own belt replacement upgrade, the Edwards Audio kept better timing, still waiting on it should be in the mail any day now. Then I decided to replace the stock Rega Carbon Cart with the Nagaoka MP 110. I has had great reviews as replacement on the RP1. This being the first time I replace a cartridge on a TT not being a 4TP cart. The instructions on my Rega are very general. I used the alignment card that came with the TT to set up the new cart and after several tries I got the cart as parallel to the guide lines after placing the needle on the crosshairs. Then I set the "bias" switch under the tonearm to 2 to correspond with the tracking force of 1.5-2.0 grams. To this point the instructions on my Rega TT manual stop. I put on a couple of albums on and immediately heard what I think is referred to as surface noise,I realigned the cart a couple more times and the surface noise was less but was still noticeable. Much more so than when it had the Carbon Cart on, which the noise was not present. Have I missed any adjustments to this point. The new cart after getting through the surface noise sounds amazing but at the beginning of the album and in between songs the noise persists. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
halloweenbear3

United States of America

Re: Rega RP1 and Nagaoka MP110 installation

Postby Alec124c41 » 20 May 2017 00:38

With a 2-point protractor, align the cartridge perfectly on the outer grid, with the stylus on the correct point.
Move it to the inner grid, moving the protractor, and place the stylus on the correct point.
There are 3 possibilities:
1 - It is perfectly aligned. You are done.
2 - The cartridge angles outward: move it back a bit, and try again.
3 - the cartridge angles inward: move it forward, and try again.

The run-in, between-track, and run-out areas of some records are next to dead silent. On others, they can be quite noisy, even though there may be no noise under the music. The better cartridge would reveal this.

Cheers,
Alec
Keep them spinning.
Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer

Canada

Postby halloweenbear3 » 20 May 2017 14:24

Thanks. Can I download a two point protractor from Vinylengine?
halloweenbear3

United States of America

Postby Melos Antropon » 20 May 2017 15:11

Yes, several different ones.

Tony
Melos Antropon

United States of America

Postby Alec124c41 » 20 May 2017 18:11

Keep them spinning.
Alec124c41