the home of the turntable

Shure m75 lp gear vivid line

the thin end of the wedge

Shure m75 lp gear vivid line

Postby ciccio64 » 20 Apr 2017 07:02

Hi Guys
I use both Stanton and Shure charts with my favorite Shure M75ed t2.
I upgraded the m75 step by step from Ej stylus to the ed stylus type passing by the E type. Every step up is clearly noticeable to me.
Now the next step would be a jico SAS type but it is too expansive for me this moment so I ordered the vivid line type from LP gear
Anyone have experience with it? Is it superior to the good genuine m75ed stylus?
Also how it compare with the jico SAS?(more than double price!)
The advised VTF is 1 1/2- 3 g which is much more than what I use presently for my ED type I am a bit concern about.
Comments please :)
ciccio64

Italy

Re: Shure m75 lp gear vivid line

Postby Erin1 » 21 Apr 2017 06:36

ciccio64 wrote:The advised VTF is 1 1/2- 3 g which is much more than what I use presently for my ED type I am a bit concern about.

I'd be concerned too. Thats too much VTF. Who told you that?
Erin1

Australia

Postby Tinkaroo » 21 Apr 2017 12:35

I like the M75ED Type 2 very much and have some original stylii for it. It is basically the same as the M91ED except for the plastic mounting.

I usually set mine up for 1.25 gms, but you should follow original Shure specs of 0.75-1.5 gms. Some of the conical type of stylii may have used a higher force, but with the elliptical or hyper-elliptical you should go with 0.75-1.5 gms. 1.5-3 gms is much too high a range.

As far as the SAS goes, I've used them on my M95, V15 Type III and IV cartridges, but that was before the recent prices which don't make it an economical option for the M75. If one looks hard enough then there are sometimes original or other options that work well and sound great at a more economical price.

Please let us know your impressions of the vivid-line stylus once you've gotten it and given it enough time to break in.
Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Postby ciccio64 » 21 Apr 2017 15:22

Erin1 wrote:
ciccio64 wrote:The advised VTF is 1 1/2- 3 g which is much more than what I use presently for my ED type I am a bit concern about.

I'd be concerned too. Thats too much VTF. Who told you that?

Well i did ask to LP gear, custumer service...
ciccio64

Italy

Postby DualSpinsMyVinyl » 22 Apr 2017 07:01

I fell heir to an M75ED Type 2 cartridge missing the stylus. I purchased the LP Gear N75HE Vivid Line stylus as a replacement. From the first play it has done nothing but amaze me. I have a JICO SAS on my M97xE which I really like and the LP Gear VL stylus does just as well and sometimes I find it hard to not like the LP Gear VL stylus just a little more. As to the VTF, I run mine at 1.25gms with no problems. Tracks well and no IGD.
DualSpinsMyVinyl, Dynaco-PAT4 Pre Amp, VTA ST-120 Valve Amp, Dual 1219,1249, Shure M97xE JICO SAS, V15 T III JICO VN35HE, M95HE, M75ED-T2, M71, Grace F8, Technics SL7-Ortofon TM14/Shibata stylus,Heil AMT-10b spkrs, Sansui QRX3500.
DualSpinsMyVinyl

United States of America

Postby ciccio64 » 22 Apr 2017 08:28

DualSpinsMyVinyl wrote:I fell heir to an M75ED Type 2 cartridge missing the stylus. I purchased the LP Gear N75HE Vivid Line stylus as a replacement. From the first play it has done nothing but amaze me. I have a JICO SAS on my M97xE which I really like and the LP Gear VL stylus does just as well and sometimes I find it hard to not like the LP Gear VL stylus just a little more. As to the VTF, I run mine at 1.25gms with no problems. Tracks well and no IGD.

Haa!! DualSpinsMyVinyl thanks for posting and thanks to this forum for existing so that people sharing this passion can share experience and info.That is what I was looking for! Glad you had good result with this stylus j hope I shall be happy as you are about this new experience.1.25 g is just about what I run my ed type 2 (US made)right now. I must say that I never can get tired of my M75 really a chart consistently good .I also run a Stanton 681 and I was quite happy with that running a jico stylus (ee model)to the point that I invest consistent money for the genuine EEE type but I did not get the upgrade I was looking for to the point I went back to my M75 ed2...I also tried couple charts from the AT range up to the 440 and although they do sound good they are all to bright for my test .I also listen an ortofon 2Mred on a friend set up ...same problem for me there is no upgrade there for my test may be I am a bit addicted to the "shure sound" so I think unless I my budget situation not improve consistently to buy a superior chart (may be an ortofon 2m bronze or black)I shall stick with my vintage shure and is nice to know that may still be some space for improvement. Thanks for sharing.
ciccio64

Italy

Postby Richard Coxon » 22 Apr 2017 09:18

I purchased a replacement M75 ED 2 sylus from William Thacker on Ebay.It was about 30%more expensive than the previous styli I had bought for the cartridge but is significantly better and more durable.I recall reading somewhere that Thakker source some of their stili from Jico.
Richard Coxon

Postby ciccio64 » 22 Apr 2017 12:48

Richard Coxon wrote:I purchased a replacement M75 ED 2 sylus from William Thacker on Ebay.It was about 30%more expensive than the previous styli I had bought for the cartridge but is significantly better and more durable.I recall reading somewhere that Thakker source some of their stili from Jico.

Yes I can confirm as I used them my self in the past.The "William Thacker" are in fact jico stylus and they are pretty good I believe the one for ED type is an elliptical 0.3X0.7 bonded (equivalent also in sound to the genuine shure EJ. however the genuine type E and ED are superior with ED absolutely the best. (triple price if you found one)
ciccio64

Italy

Postby Tinkaroo » 22 Apr 2017 13:55

I found a Nagaoka stylus for the M75ED Type 2 sold by an Italian retailer which was actually quite good.

I bought a NOS M75ED type 2 cartridge from England a couple of years ago which had a new EDT2 stylus on it. I paid a reasonable price for it. It is pretty hard to beat the original.

I've also bought a couple of repackaged original stylii from VOM when they had them in stock, also at reasonable prices.

It is unfortunate that there are so many gold diggers out there charging inflated prices for some of this stuff since it keeps people from trying it and enjoying it. I like the sound of this cartridge very much so I keep my eyes open for good deals when they come along. I like to play the long game and be patient.
Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Postby ciccio64 » 04 May 2017 23:24

So I finally received my new LP vivid line stylus and here I report my experience.
First LP gear was very efficient .They did ship the item the day after the purchase.
Unfortunately I had to wait some 20 days before receiving it but this is not LP gear fault but normal mail time for overseas mail. Not sure about customer service however...Overall I shall have no problem in buy again from them.
Now to the point-) I replaced my ED type 2 with the received vivid line I left the vtf as it was around 1.25 grams. And start to listen.
The new stylus require very little breaking in time after two hrs was already sounding very good. Now you know from my previous writing I am a big fan of the M75Ed a chart hard to beat in the price range however this vivid line bring the M75 to a next level...The chart still have the much loved shure sound powerful with a rich bottom end but now is also much more tight and clean. Also the high end (which is the week spot for the ed2 as there is a roll off)is now well extended and present in the right amount. The medium range is as good as it was. Overall this is an excellent presentation of the musical event. The upgraded m75 offer a more complete presentation with powerful bass, excellent medium and extended and rich high all this in a very good tri dimensional scenario full of harmonics and details.
I do not know how this vivid line compare with a SAS but I found hard to believe that it could bring such improvement to justify the cost difference (more than double).As you understand I am very happy with my purchase and I do not hesitate to suggest this vivid line to everyone that want high performance from their M75 but do not have the budget for a SAS
Attachments
DSC_1662.JPG
DSC_1663.JPG
ciccio64

Italy

Postby JDJX » 05 May 2017 00:18

FWIW..
I tried an original SAS and, an LP Gear Vivid Line for my M97xe.

SAS
It sounded great for classical and most instrumentals over all.
However it lost it for rock and vocals.
It lacked the smooth sound of the Shure for that.
It just did no have the right balance and often sounded shrill.
It also had rather "thin' bass.

LP Gear VL
I then tried the LP Gear
It sounded better then the SAS over all....
It was great for classical and better than the SAS for rock and vocals.

To me, the LP Gear VL sort has the best of both the SAS and the Shure styli.
I has more or less the detail of the SAS but, it also retains some of the Shure smoothness.

In the end I eventually went back to the Shure stylus.
I guess I just like its overall smoothness .

However I have not given up on the LP Gear and will give it another shot when I get around to it.
Perhaps I did not break it in fully, etc....
*Thorens 165 with M97xE
*Lounge Audio phono pre
*NAD C-350 amp
JDJX
long player
long player

Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

United States of America

Postby ciccio64 » 05 May 2017 08:19

Tks JDJX good to know. I also do not want loose the "shure sound" and this vivid line seems the right compromise. Hope I can try a myself one day but for the moment I cannot effort the SAS
ciccio64

Italy

Postby DualSpinsMyVinyl » 06 May 2017 02:18

ciccio64,

Glad to hear that you are enjoying the LP Gear VL stylus. It feels good when you find an upgrade that makes your system perform to your expectations. Although now there is that nagging little feeling that if this works so well, maybe the next level will be just that much better. It never ends. What else is a hobby for?
DualSpinsMyVinyl, Dynaco-PAT4 Pre Amp, VTA ST-120 Valve Amp, Dual 1219,1249, Shure M97xE JICO SAS, V15 T III JICO VN35HE, M95HE, M75ED-T2, M71, Grace F8, Technics SL7-Ortofon TM14/Shibata stylus,Heil AMT-10b spkrs, Sansui QRX3500.
DualSpinsMyVinyl

United States of America

Postby ciccio64 » 06 May 2017 08:41

DualSpinsMyVinyl wrote:ciccio64,

Glad to hear that you are enjoying the LP Gear VL stylus. It feels good when you find an upgrade that makes your system perform to your expectations. Although now there is that nagging little feeling that if this works so well, maybe the next level will be just that much better. It never ends. What else is a hobby for?

yeha.. guess you are right :D .however as for the M75 I always thought at SAS or VL as top line ending point.
Now what?? when budget allow I would like to try something different but the M75 VL perform so good so we are talking about some money here for an upgrade and I am afraid to make a wrong choice. Any advice??
I already made what I consider a mistake once as I invested in an original Stanton EEE stylus for my 680.Not that sound bad but it is so neutral...no emotion at least on my system.Shame..I think is more funny with the Jico EE stylus :(
Just out of curiosity I see you have also the M97XE how that compare with the M75?
ciccio64

Italy

Postby DualSpinsMyVinyl » 07 May 2017 04:29

ciccio64,

This is my second M97xE and it is now about 4 years old. With the factory original stylus installed, it works well in my system. Two years ago I finally accumulated enough funds and I purchased the SAS with the boron cantilever. There was an immediate noticeable extension of the higher frequencies and the increase in the overall signal strength from the cartridge boosted the bass and mid rage response. I then acquired the M75ED Type2 as a perk that came along with the 1249 turntable I purchased. The stylus was damaged in transit, so I invested in the LP Gear N75HE VL stylus. I was immediately impressed by the cartridge with the VL stylus. It sounds just as good as the M97/SAS combo. If I use the Shure stylus in the M97xE and compare it to the M75 with the VL stylus, the M75 has the edge. When I return to the SAS, they are equal again. The only advantage to the M97xE at the present time is the dampening brush. JICO does not use any form of dampening material on the brushes included on the SAS stylus, so I put a drop of the high viscosity lube for the turntables quing mechanism on one side of the pivot for the brush and it works just as well as the brush on the Shure stylus. So the brush does improve the tracking ability of the Shure M97xE over the M75ED.

Final observation: in my system the M75ED Type2 with the LP Gear N75HE VL is every bit a match in sound quality when compared to the M97xE with the JICO SAS.
DualSpinsMyVinyl

United States of America

Return to Cartridges and Preamps