New LP Gear Carbon Fiber AT95se

the thin end of the wedge
Erin1
senior member
senior member
Posts: 596
Joined: 18 Jul 2004 09:57

Re: New LP Gear Carbon Fiber AT95se

Post by Erin1 » 19 Mar 2017 00:29

I think LP Gear is responding to consumer demand for nicer stylus profiles for entry level cartridges. If AT wont provide that then LP Gear will. Seems logical.

I'm looking forward to the review.

wojo58
member
member
Posts: 241
Joined: 16 Jan 2017 22:58
Location: Northern Illnois

Re: New LP Gear Carbon Fiber AT95se

Post by wojo58 » 19 Mar 2017 01:24

I believe Oddball detected negative waves....... :roll:

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America
Posts: 5786
Joined: 23 Aug 2013 03:48

Re: New LP Gear Carbon Fiber AT95se

Post by BMRR » 19 Mar 2017 15:29

lini wrote:BMRR: Actually AT also made the Signet TKN7, TKN8 and TKN9 (nude sharp spherical, nude sharp elliptical & nude Shibata, each with carbon cantilever) for the older Signet TKs - so it's not like AT would have only ever used carbon cantilevers for entry-level needles.
I never said that. I said that the thick carbon-plastic cantilever was only used on their entry-level models. This is the same cantilever being used on the new LPGear models. As far as I can tell it has little in common with the cantilevers used on those Signets.

. . .
Erin1 wrote:I think LP Gear is responding to consumer demand for nicer stylus profiles for entry level cartridges.
Yes, but they were doing that already and had been doing that for years. They're now taking those same "nicer stylus profiles" that they already offered and mounting them on a much more crude cantilever, while using the word "carbon" in a way that, frankly, seems to be deceptive... all the while claiming that this so-called "carbon" cantilever offers better sound than an aluminum tube cantilever. This is marketing hyperbole and it insults the intelligence of those of us who know the truth.

The other day I was at Sears and saw a display with a sign that touted cashmere sweaters. I picked one of them up and looked at the tag inside the collar. 98% cotton, 2% cashmere. Same scenario. Same marketing practice that has been going on probably since the beginning of time. It is what it is.



I'm not trying to be negative, guys... I'm just trying to share information that I thought would be helpful.

Erin1
senior member
senior member
Posts: 596
Joined: 18 Jul 2004 09:57

Re: New LP Gear Carbon Fiber AT95se

Post by Erin1 » 20 Mar 2017 00:59

BMRR wrote: Yes, but they were doing that already and had been doing that for years. They're now taking those same "nicer stylus profiles" that they already offered and mounting them on a much more crude cantilever, while using the word "carbon" in a way that, frankly, seems to be deceptive... all the while claiming that this so-called "carbon" cantilever offers better sound than an aluminum tube cantilever. This is marketing hyperbole and it insults the intelligence of those of us who know the truth.
Ok so this is what they say on their website:
"Carbon fiber technology for remarkable nuance and tonal complexity
Resonance in the midrange would cause complexity to the tone I expect.
Harmonically exquisite, refractive, large multidimensional soundstage
Wow!!
Carbon fiber cantilever for firm and sensitive response to grooves "
Gotta love a sensitive response to a firm cantilever :wink:

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America
Posts: 5786
Joined: 23 Aug 2013 03:48

Re: New LP Gear Carbon Fiber AT95se

Post by BMRR » 20 Mar 2017 01:06


ammarmariti
senior member
senior member
Malaysia
Posts: 458
Joined: 04 Jan 2013 21:41

Re: New LP Gear Carbon Fiber AT95se

Post by ammarmariti » 20 Mar 2017 03:28

For the size of a cantilever, I firmly believe a carbon fiber reinforced cantilever wouldn't be superior to an aluminum one. Carbon fibers are only fibers that need a binding agent to keep them firm and rigid. Such binding agents are usually resin. The cantilever will only be as rigid as the resin used. At that size and length, for rigidity aluminum would be better.

If I'm not mistaken, I saw one listing as a carbon reinforced cantilever instead of carbon fiber? If that's the case, it would be only a plastic cantilever with carbon reinforcements. Marginal at best.

smee4
long player
long player
Posts: 1127
Joined: 04 Jul 2004 08:07

Re: New LP Gear Carbon Fiber AT95se

Post by smee4 » 20 Mar 2017 09:12

wojo58 wrote:Anyone try the DEFT, DEFT2 or the (gasp) Vessel offerings from LP? I am very happy with my cheapie CF3600LE so far. Thinking of getting a better cart...or two

Yes. I have the deft2, it is a great cartridge and I and MUCH prefer it to my AT440mla (for example). The exotic stylus shape at that price point is very hard to beat.

smee4
long player
long player
Posts: 1127
Joined: 04 Jul 2004 08:07

Re: New LP Gear Carbon Fiber AT95se

Post by smee4 » 20 Mar 2017 09:16

BMRR wrote:
As far as sound quality goes, I don't think they sound better than aluminum alloy. I think they sound worse. I've compared them side by side. This is all about marketing — something that LPGear is very good at.

Well, I think they sound very good. I have a few 3600 carts and one has a CF conical and another has LP gear's upgrade CF elliptical stylus. As usual I suppose, it depends on synergies, or not, with the rest of the system.

Erin1
senior member
senior member
Posts: 596
Joined: 18 Jul 2004 09:57

Re: New LP Gear Carbon Fiber AT95se

Post by Erin1 » 20 Mar 2017 11:45

smee4 wrote: Yes. I have the deft2, it is a great cartridge and I and MUCH prefer it to my AT440mla (for example). The exotic stylus shape at that price point is very hard to beat.
Since the 440 also has an exotic stylus shape. What is the difference in sound between the two?

Boltman92124
senior member
senior member
Posts: 969
Joined: 22 Jan 2016 23:18
Location: San Diego

Re: New LP Gear Carbon Fiber AT95se

Post by Boltman92124 » 20 Mar 2017 16:06

lini wrote:BMRR: Actually AT also made the Signet TKN7, TKN8 and TKN9 (nude sharp spherical, nude sharp elliptical & nude Shibata, each with carbon cantilever) for the older Signet TKs - so it's not like AT would have only ever used carbon cantilevers for entry-level needles.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
Right. And it's technically an LP Gear SE stylus not offered by AT(.003 vs.004). They ask the same price for the aluminum or Carbon versions. Maybe I should have gotten the aluminum one?
I like the 95e alot..more than the 100e I have, even with the stock stylus. It should arrive today and I'll compare it to the stock 95e.

Boltman92124
senior member
senior member
Posts: 969
Joined: 22 Jan 2016 23:18
Location: San Diego

Re: New LP Gear Carbon Fiber AT95se

Post by Boltman92124 » 20 Mar 2017 16:15

Erin1 wrote:
BMRR wrote: Yes, but they were doing that already and had been doing that for years. They're now taking those same "nicer stylus profiles" that they already offered and mounting them on a much more crude cantilever, while using the word "carbon" in a way that, frankly, seems to be deceptive... all the while claiming that this so-called "carbon" cantilever offers better sound than an aluminum tube cantilever. This is marketing hyperbole and it insults the intelligence of those of us who know the truth.
Ok so this is what they say on their website:
"Carbon fiber technology for remarkable nuance and tonal complexity
Resonance in the midrange would cause complexity to the tone I expect.
Harmonically exquisite, refractive, large multidimensional soundstage
Wow!!
Carbon fiber cantilever for firm and sensitive response to grooves "
Gotta love a sensitive response to a firm cantilever :wink:
I have a new Steel Pulse LP (Earth Crisis) that came defective with a couple of skips on each side. Otherwise, it sounds great. The CF3600LE cart is the only one I have that makes it through the skips without skipping. I was impressed anyway. Only cart I will play that LP with.

smee4
long player
long player
Posts: 1127
Joined: 04 Jul 2004 08:07

Re: New LP Gear Carbon Fiber AT95se

Post by smee4 » 20 Mar 2017 21:48

Erin1 wrote:
smee4 wrote: Yes. I have the deft2, it is a great cartridge and I and MUCH prefer it to my AT440mla (for example). The exotic stylus shape at that price point is very hard to beat.
Since the 440 also has an exotic stylus shape. What is the difference in sound between the two?

The 440 lacks bass, and is generally more thin sounding, when compared to the deft2.

smee4
long player
long player
Posts: 1127
Joined: 04 Jul 2004 08:07

Re: New LP Gear Carbon Fiber AT95se

Post by smee4 » 20 Mar 2017 21:55

ammarmariti wrote:For the size of a cantilever, I firmly believe a carbon fiber reinforced cantilever wouldn't be superior to an aluminum one. Carbon fibers are only fibers that need a binding agent to keep them firm and rigid. Such binding agents are usually resin. The cantilever will only be as rigid as the resin used. At that size and length, for rigidity aluminum would be better.
The rigidity would depend on other things, such as thickness, and shape. Because the CF is molded, they can, and do shape it differently. For example, the stylus tip is mounted in a square cross-sectioned shaped end on the cf shank. Looks stronger than the flattened tube end lots of aluminium styluses use.

AsOriginallyRecorded
senior member
senior member
Canada
Posts: 841
Joined: 26 Jun 2018 06:05

Re: New LP Gear Carbon Fiber AT95se

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 20 Mar 2017 22:10

Always with the negativity Moriarity ,,,,woof woof woof! Love that movie....and attitude. =P~

cats squirrel
long player
long player
England
Posts: 2412
Joined: 16 Dec 2008 16:13
Location: Glorious Devon, UK

Re: New LP Gear Carbon Fiber AT95se

Post by cats squirrel » 20 Mar 2017 22:13

the Carbon fibre (reinforced plastic) cantilever is available for the AT91. There is a huge blob of glue holding the stylus on mine. It is re-badged by Rega, who call it the Carbon (fair enough). It is not as good as the AT95, and provides about 8% distortion.

People into heavy metal will love it. :wink: