Stylus Evaluation Imaging

the thin end of the wedge
ray_parkhurst

Re: Stylus Evaluation Imaging

Post by ray_parkhurst » 25 Jan 2020 23:35

Not an epi type, but I do use 20x and 40x BD Plan objectives. I achieved very good results using a Nikon 40x BD Plan EWLD. I built my own illuminator attachment (also works with 5x/10x/20x) and it works very well. That said, my preferred objective is still the 20x Measuring objective with ringlight due to its extreme working distance and telecentricity.

waltertobin

Post by waltertobin » 26 Jan 2020 14:18

Delta667 wrote:
14 Jun 2019 17:42
About the stylus Van den Hul 1 Special ...
With all due respect to the name of the master, I want to note that the duration of some of his styli is "0". ((
This means that the new stylus immediately touches the bottom of the groove and its sound is terrible. I met him at Thorens MCH 63. How did this happen with such a respected cartridge?
I very quickly found a solution. I cut off the tip of the stylus, thereby turning it into an extended ellipse, which are often found on Aurex cartridges.
The situation was corrected, the owner of the cartridge was very pleased.
I carried out a similar operation twice, but in the second case the cartridge was in operation for some time. And very quickly began to scoop all the dirt from the bottom of the groove.
[/quote
Delta, have you cut the tip flat, or shaped it into the rounded form? I wonder, if flat tip able to damage record grooves, or it is OK

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst » 26 Jan 2020 14:34

Once the tip is cut flat, it needs a new break-in period, especially if it is re-mounted. I'd be worried about doing damage to the first hundred or so plays, though that damage may only be at or near the bottom of the groove. It seems likely the "dirt" may be vinyl shavings. All the LC types are sensitive to azimuth/skew since they have very little wiggle room due to their large major radius.

waltertobin

Post by waltertobin » 13 Feb 2020 11:28

Ray, have your tried measurements of FR with good and worn stylus? What is the difference, and how it affects sound? I would assume that with flats developed, the output in HF will go down (the highest of HF disappearing), and it is all what hapens. Am I right? Any other changes with sound performance?

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst » 13 Feb 2020 14:31

waltertobin wrote:
13 Feb 2020 11:28
Ray, have your tried measurements of FR with good and worn stylus? What is the difference, and how it affects sound? I would assume that with flats developed, the output in HF will go down (the highest of HF disappearing), and it is all what hapens. Am I right? Any other changes with sound performance?
I did such tests and published some results in my Stylus Wear Study thread, see here:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=113013&sid=91986c5 ... 55d6f231bc

waltertobin

Post by waltertobin » 18 Feb 2020 17:53

Thank you, I followed that thread, and I see what my guess was mainly a correct one.