the home of the turntable

RIAA Equilization

the thin end of the wedge

RIAA Equilization

Postby cec ba 600 » 11 Jan 2017 01:25

Hey People, Im currently running a Hitachi PS-38 direct drive with a Ortofon 2M Red.
When using my Onkyo tn 747's Phono stage,it sounds ok. But hooking up my old NAD 3220 with same TT and speakers... WOW, what a difference!! Is this because of the NAD's RIAA EQ?
Or is the onkyo's phono stage not up to scratch?
Same thing using my old CEC with an AT95E cartridge, Should i just disregard the recivers phono stage and buy Outboard one? Does the RIAA curve make that much of a difference?
INPUT greatly appreciated.
cec ba 600

Australia

Re: RIAA Equilization

Postby analogaudio » 11 Jan 2017 02:02

The RIAA curve boosts the bass and cuts the treble, a lot. There needs to be one RIAA equalizer in the system (and only one) it doesn't matter if it is an accessory unit or inside the amplifier the job is done the same in both cases.
Ted

Technics SL1600mk2, Ortofon VMS30, modified TEAC AH500 as a preamp, Bryston 4B ST amp, Harbeth M40 speakers, all making musical magic :-)
analogaudio
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby FileFixer » 11 Jan 2017 02:20

If you think on Onkyo TX-NR747 it have many sound equlization modes and listening modes. Try to recheck all settings on it.

This is specification for TX-NR747 and it`s Phono input...
Input Sensitivity and Impedance
3.5 mV/47 kΩ (PHONO MM)
Audio Technica AT-LP120 USB modded(AT440MLb cartridge),Technics SL-PS770D CD Player,Pioneer CT-S740S Tape Deck,Onkyo HT-R508 Receiver,Mod Opera Mezza with passive radiator,DALI Trio sub mod with int. amp,HECO center speker,BOSE surround speker,MDR-DS6500 headphones,M8S media player,DM-800HDse/CS.
FileFixer

Croatia

Postby wualta » 11 Jan 2017 02:24

Suggestion for an experiment: plug the TT into the PHONO inputs on the NAD. Then connect the TAPE OUTs of the NAD to one of the line-level ("AUX", "TUNER", etc) inputs on the Onkyo, controlling volume on the Onkyo. You'll be using the NAD as an external RIAA stage. If the sound is still superior this way, you'll have discovered that while some RIAA stages are okay, some are audibly better.
wualta

Postby cec ba 600 » 11 Jan 2017 03:57

Thanks guys! Just i cannont find anywhere if the onkyo is actually RIAA eq'ed. If it is the lask of bass is very very noticable. Was going to try WUALTA's suggestion tonight!
cec ba 600

Australia

Postby FileFixer » 11 Jan 2017 11:52

If Onkyo have PHONO input be shure that have RIAA equlisation. Onkyo is manufacturer that not misses such things or fail to implement RIAA phono preamp inside your equipment but leave mark for PHONO input.
I have Onkyo receiver and it have very different thing in his setup that have many different audio settings.
Audio Technica AT-LP120 USB modded(AT440MLb cartridge),Technics SL-PS770D CD Player,Pioneer CT-S740S Tape Deck,Onkyo HT-R508 Receiver,Mod Opera Mezza with passive radiator,DALI Trio sub mod with int. amp,HECO center speker,BOSE surround speker,MDR-DS6500 headphones,M8S media player,DM-800HDse/CS.
FileFixer

Croatia

Postby Paraneer » 11 Jan 2017 12:27

Both have a phono stage and both reequalize RIAA. But its the NAD's stereo preamp section that is doing such a better job that is making the difference.

What your discovering is why digital AVR's like your Onkyo are not well suited for 2 channel stereo reproduction, even in so called "pure direct" mode. Your older NAD, that was built for 2 channel analog, is blowing it away. Your hearing it yourself.

If your serious about vinyl, ditch the AVR or keep it strictly for car crashes, explosions and battles between giant robots. But not for music.
VPI Traveler V2, Ortofon Rondo Blue, Simaudio Moon 110LP
Technics SL-1400, Audio Technica AT-14sa, Pro-ject Phono Box S
Marantz PM15S2 LE, Oppo 103, Simaudio Moon 100D
Dynaudio Focus 260's & a Rel T1 Sub
Paraneer
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby FileFixer » 11 Jan 2017 12:35

Onkyo have Stereo mode, Direct mode and Pure audio mode. All of this modes work as normal stereo mode without activate any other speakers except to Stereo mode that activate only subwoofer with front speakers. Onkyo also have All Channel Stereo mode that activate all speakers in stereo mode.
I have Onkyo HT-R508 past 8 years and I know all of them options and how to work and how to setup.
If him PHONO preamp does not have any malfunction that is all mistakes in him setup.
FileFixer

Croatia

Postby cec ba 600 » 11 Jan 2017 22:12

thanks everyone for your thoughts, I used the NAD as a preamp last night and compared the Onkyo and NAD back to back and with the reciver set to PURE DIRECT for both imputs, the TT running through the NAD's tape loop connected to the revievers CD imput sounded so much more warmmer with a lot less surface noise at the begining and in between tracks. I dont like having to run my SUB for music but even comparing the two there seemed to be less rumble to!
Its now clear to me the an External Phono stage would prob be the way i'll invest. Would there be any negative effects of a tube pre amp with RIAA?
cec ba 600

Australia

Postby noisefreq » 12 Jan 2017 04:31

I love my Bellari VP130 tube preamp ran into the AUX of my Onkyo AVR. I like the "Studio Mix" setting for surround sound mode.
I started out with a NAD PPA2 preamp and graduated to the Bellari.
noisefreq

United States of America

Return to Cartridges and Preamps