the home of the turntable

Current P Mounts? The field seems to be thinning...

the thin end of the wedge

Current P Mounts? The field seems to be thinning...

Postby ScooterMcTavish » 07 Jan 2017 15:48

Hey guys,

Was looking to sell a Realistic Lab-290 locally, and was offered an interesting trade, which I took, for a DD linear-tracking Technics SL-QL5. It came with the "mighty" $15 AT90 cartridge on it.

After I fixed the belt for the arm the table worked flawlessly, although I did notice some rumble compared to my CEC belt drive. I then played a track on the Technics then switched to my CEC with the Grado Green to play the same track, and the higher quality of the Grado was immediately apparent.

However, before making the trade, I did research what P-Mounts were available, and am surprised how few are left, even in the secondary market like eBay. Did also read BMRR's "Favorite P-Mount" thread, and was disappointed to see how many of these cartridges are no longer available.

Regradless, I've immediately ordered an AT3482P - the cost is reasonable, and the carbon fiber cantilever is supposed to make it sound "better than it has a right to". However, what other P-mounts are still available that sound good? Price should be reasonable.

As a side note, I do like my Grado Green on the CEC but am concerned about hum on a DD TT. ANyone use a Grado with this series of table?
ScooterMcTavish

Canada

Re: Current P Mounts? The field seems to be thinning...

Postby Kurt45 » 07 Jan 2017 17:49

Yes, the field is thin.

LP Gear has a line of p-mounts based on an Audio Technica body. The top of the line has a Shibata diamond. I haven't heard them, but they look like a good value.

As you note, the Grado Prestige series comes in p-mount versions.

The Ortofon OMP-10 is still available and can be upgraded with the Ortofon stylus 20 and 30.

Audio Technica has their line of p-mounts, and the Shure M92e is still available. Some people have upgraded it with aftermarket styluses and liked the results.

I see lots of used p-mounts on eBay (I picked up a Shure M111HE recently) and with good aftermarket styluses from Jico and others, you can make your own.
Kurt45
contributor

United States of America

Postby needlestein » 07 Jan 2017 20:33

Deleted

I started to make a recommendation, but I realize I hadn't actually done my research. Will chime in again later.
needlestein

Postby ray_parkhurst » 08 Jan 2017 00:44

Lots of stuff available on eBay. I'm fond of Shure and you can pick up decent vintage carts for not cheap but not outrageous prices. I'm currently going down the path of M111HE body with different styli, and am currently amazed by the N110HE. I have a SAS/S stylus on the way for this body and will "review" it when it arrives. I'm not sure how many folks are actively listening to vinyl these days, but it may be there is a lifetime of used P-Mounts available out there, and new styli better than any vintage offering (still TBD...).
ray_parkhurst
contributor

United States of America

Postby fscl » 08 Jan 2017 17:30

ScooterMcTavish wrote:Hey guys,
Was looking to sell a Realistic Lab-290 locally, and was offered an interesting trade, which I took, for a DD linear-tracking Technics SL-QL5. It came with the "mighty" $15 AT90 cartridge on it.
After I fixed the belt for the arm the table worked flawlessly, although I did notice some rumble compared to my CEC belt drive. I then played a track on the Technics then switched to my CEC with the Grado Green to play the same track, and the higher quality of the Grado was immediately apparent.
.....snippage.......

Though getting thin, older fully functioning T4P mounts can be had.

As far as rumble goes, you may want to check if a looser belt and or restoring crushed end rubbers can help with vibration isolation and rumble.

See this topic:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=92584

Good luck

Fred
Music is Everything....Except Predictable....Music Discovery Starts Here.....WFUV Member
fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby lreneat » 09 Jan 2017 00:48

I was wondering if anyone had any comments about the Technics SL-5 TT? It came with an AT132EP cartridge. An extra Ortofon OMP10 came with the TT. Is there any quality difference between the 2 carts?
My Technics SL-QD33 TT cart is an up-grade to an AT311EP. At the time the AT311EP was bought, it was considered a more favorable cartridge option. I would not place the quality of the AT311EP sound up there with Shure V-15 Type 3 and AT440's, but that's a given.
lreneat

United States of America

Postby Kurt45 » 09 Jan 2017 01:15

The AT132EP is a nice cartridge with a .2 X .7 nude diamond, the p-mount version of the AT130e. I had one on my Technics SL-7.

The OMP-10 is a good cartridge, but with a more basic diamond than the AT. If you like the sound of it, it can be upgraded to an OMP-20 or OMP-30.
Kurt45
contributor

United States of America

Postby ScooterMcTavish » 09 Jan 2017 04:12

Thanks for the tips all.

Unfortunately, there seems to be a little more selection on eBay in the US vs. Canada. Also, every US dollar costs me $1.35 Canadian, and shipping to Canada can be punitive.

Did see those LP Gear cartridges/styli combos online, but I'm not sure I'm ready to drop $250-$300 CDN (after shipping/duty/taxes) on what is possibly a second "rock" turntable. I'll keep my eyes open for a deal, but am a bit jealous of those who can buy in the US with US dollars.
ScooterMcTavish

Canada

Postby lynnot » 09 Jan 2017 21:06

Hi,

I recently bought a used Pickering 7500 TLZ mkII S with very low hours and now I can't find my P-mount adapter. :( (as obviously I want to mount it on a regular tonearm)

Rgds, Tony
lynnot

Postby tezzating » 09 Jan 2017 21:16

If you like Grado's sound AVShop.ca is a Canadian reseller. $99 for P-Mount black, $280 for a Silver (prices CAD).
tezzating

Canada

Postby ScooterMcTavish » 09 Jan 2017 21:23

Thanks again folks,

Was not sure about the Grado for this application due to hum. Also, the CEC sounds great with the green for acoustic and classical. It is a little too laid back for what I think I want to do with this TT.

Actually bought my Green from Acoustic Technologie out of Montreal. Joe there is quick to respond and a super easy person to do business with.

In the back of my mind, I was thinking something in a Shure might be good here, though a classified on CAM has netted me a reasonable offer of a NOS Stanton L-700E. Not familiar with Stantons, so am not sure if it is what I'd be looking for.

Kurt45, thanks for the PM. Slim pickings right now, but that doesn't mean the right cart won't come along....
ScooterMcTavish

Canada

Postby wualta » 10 Jan 2017 00:17

For what it's worth: a Canadian eBay seller I've had good luck with: brad1981101, aka Casa-Dia Vinyl Records.
wualta

Postby ScooterMcTavish » 10 Jan 2017 01:13

Bought an EVG Stylus from him - should go see what he has listed now.
ScooterMcTavish

Canada

Postby KentT » 10 Jan 2017 15:40

Audio-Technica (LP Gear counts as AT), Grado, and one Shure is the entire T4p current offering universe. Obsolete system made for the replacement market.
KentT
long player
long player

Postby Johnny2Bad » 10 Jan 2017 22:43

ScooterMcTavish wrote:Thanks for the tips all.

Unfortunately, there seems to be a little more selection on eBay in the US vs. Canada. Also, every US dollar costs me $1.35 Canadian, and shipping to Canada can be punitive.

Did see those LP Gear cartridges/styli combos online, but I'm not sure I'm ready to drop $250-$300 CDN (after shipping/duty/taxes) on what is possibly a second "rock" turntable. I'll keep my eyes open for a deal, but am a bit jealous of those who can buy in the US with US dollars.

There is no Duty on electronics imported to Canada. The GST is due (5%) or if you are unlucky, HST. Shipping is cheap if you are doing it right. I have an account with a customs broker (setting up an account is free) with a US warehouse, so I usually get free "domestic US" shipping in many cases, and pay $10~20 (depending on weight) to have it shipped from the border to me with 1-day Purolator courier. The seller has no idea I am even in Canada.

In other words, there is a right and a wrong way to import products.

You would be wise to refrain of thinking of a "dollar" as having some fixed value. In my career I was paid in both $C and $US for nearly 30 years and I've seen it when you paid $C 1.55 to buy a USD and I've seen it when you paid $US 1.10 to buy a Canadian dollar. Yes, and not so long ago, either, around 2006 or so.

But the point is the currency ratio changes and if you are buying in a different market then it costs what it costs.

You probably don't realize it, but you may well be paid more in $C than the same job in the US pays (or you may be paid less ... like I said, different markets), but if you are an hourly employee, chances are you get more $C's for an hour's work than the same job pays back in America.

Starting wage under the latest UAW contract (GM, Ford, Chrysler) is $US 15.78; it's $20 for new hires now in Canada under a new 2-tier CAW wage agreement, anyone hired before that last contract started at $24. Top wage in a US "Big 3" auto plant is $28.69, in Canada it's $34.

"Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it."

It costs what it costs. Don't think that because they are both called "dollars" that they are supposed to be identical in value. No two currencies work that way, no two markets are identical, and that's even within the same country. Americans pay the same price you do, and I've found second hand audio tends to be less expensive in Canada. Take advantage of your own market's advantages.

Wages in China are now about the same as wages in Mexico, but audio is much cheaper in Mexico (Chinese consumers pay twice what we pay for electronics ... yes, if you were a Chinese citizen you would have to pay $US 1500 for a smartphone, due to that country's internal tariffs and taxes).

Turntables are much cheaper in the UK than here, and used tables are even less there. But most other audio electronics cost more. And so on.

Do the calculations and that's the price; it's simple and you will live a lot longer if you don't fret over things you have no control over. There is always differences in markets.

There are some rare "high end" cartridges that were offered in P-mount, I am always looking for one of the Sumiko Blue Points, for example.

It's not an option for the Linear Tracking models, but the handy should consider swapping out the tonearm ... you can buy the SL-1200 arms for more-or-less $US 100, amongst many options ... might be the best option.

You would lose any automatic or auto-return feature, and it would require fabricating a tonearm mount, but it's hardly rocket science and it solves a problem if you really want more choice in cartridges. There are many 1980's model p-mount equipped turntables that offered the highest performing DC DD motor assemblies ever offered on the consumer grade tables. Something to think about versus dealing with dead capacitors and flaky speed control assemblies on the 1970's alternatives.
Johnny2Bad

Next

Return to Cartridges and Preamps