the home of the turntable

Best protractor for Fluance RT81 w/ Audio-Technica AT440MLB

the thin end of the wedge

Best protractor for Fluance RT81 w/ Audio-Technica AT440MLB

Postby SebSagh » 12 Nov 2016 21:32

Hi, I just got this table and after testing it with the AT95 cart it comes with, I replaced it with my Audio-Technica AT440MLB. I was wondering what would be the appropriate protractor to use with this combination and where I can download it from since a search on Google gave me nothing.

Thanks!
SebSagh

United States of America

Re: Best protractor for Fluance RT81 w/ Audio-Technica AT440

Postby BMRR » 13 Nov 2016 00:39

Have you tried contacting Fluance?

I'm pretty sure these are manufactured by Hanpin, but Fluance might possibly be able to tell you what sort of alignment they use/recommend.

If all else fails, you can use any universal two-point protractor, such as this:

https://www.amazon.com/Turntable-Cartri ... B005KR15HU
What do dance clubs and classical radio stations have in common? Technics Direct Drive.™
BMRR
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby Alec124c41 » 13 Nov 2016 03:55

Boys, boys - we have protractors right here!
https://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge-al ... tors.shtml
Check out the Tools link at the top of the page.
Arc protractors must be matched to the mounting distance, spindle to pivot, of the arm. You can also generate a custom one using Conrad Hoffman's neat program.
And the 2-point protractors can be used with any arm.
With a 2-point protractor, align the cartridge perfectly on the outer grid, with the stylus on the correct point.
Move it to the inner grid, moving the protractor, and place the stylus on the correct point.
There are 3 possibilities:
1 - It is perfectly aligned. You are done.
2 - The cartridge angles outward: move it back a bit, and try again.
3 - the cartridge angles inward: move it forward, and try again.

Cheers,
Alec
Keep them spinning.
Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer

Canada

Postby Maslakoff » 14 Nov 2017 10:14

Conrad Hoffman's tool is a miracle indeed ! I used all the specifications provided by the Fluance's manual and it basically gave me a Lofgren B protractor. Meaning that the numbers were perfectly correct !

When the turntable arrived, I've noticed that the cartridge was not properly installed by default - it's pretty important to move your AT95 really to the front of the shell (if you still want to use it), in order to align it to the protractor's path ! I have no idea why they put it in the middle of the shell, doesn't make any sense and doesn't even track well.

All in all, my AT440MLB matches wonderfully the RT81. VTF is 1.8, anti-skating at 1.5 (due to numerous tests it's clear that 1.8 would be way too much, as I get a distortion from left and sometimes both channels - a signal that I put way too much). Everything is aligned according to the Hoffman's tool. No sibilance, no surface noise, no distortion, no IGD, the sound is clear, transparent and dynamic. Done !
Maslakoff

Postby SebSagh » 14 Nov 2017 20:01

Thanks, but actually I returned this table long ago. It had a horrendous amount of wow and flutter, and when I measured the speeds, they were off by a substantial margin. I got a Pioneer PLX-1000 and I couldn’t be happier.
SebSagh

United States of America

Postby Maslakoff » 14 Nov 2017 23:32

Oh, that's surprising to hear. How did you discover this wow and flutter problem ? Was it that obvious ?

Mine seems to be in a great shape : no noise out of the turntable, no static, buzz, hum or whatever. And the speed is very accurate as well.
Maslakoff

Postby Maslakoff » 14 Nov 2017 23:35

Also I've read that some people experienced the same things as you in the beginning when it came out (weird noises when turning it in and off, faulty speed etc.), but I guess now it's fixed - I bought mine in May of this year.
Maslakoff

Return to Cartridges and Preamps