Stylus for Grace F9

the thin end of the wedge
Spurtz

Re: Stylus for Grace F9

Post by Spurtz » 15 Feb 2017 16:11

Van_Isle wrote:That's what I've seen reported.
Yes, it does fit, I have one myself. The three that I've used: Kenwood N49, ATN-952 and the Pioneer PN400. The PN400 is a tad loose, so you'll need one tiny strip of masking tape on either side of the cartridge to give it a bit of grip.

Van_Isle
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Van_Isle » 15 Feb 2017 16:27

The N49 / ATN952 I received fits like a glove. I haven't mounted-up the cartridge yet to try it out.

Spinosaurus

Post by Spinosaurus » 15 Feb 2017 16:43

So it has not been clear to me if the N49/ATN952 stylus is only conical or you can get it in an elliptical model?

Van_Isle
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Van_Isle » 15 Feb 2017 17:02

The only ones I've seen that have been specifically identified are conical.

The package of the one I purchased was marked with an "E" ... which might mean elliptical or it might have just been a price code or something similar.

Van_Isle
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Van_Isle » 15 Feb 2017 17:05

Spurtz

Post by Spurtz » 16 Feb 2017 01:05

Van_Isle wrote:The N49 / ATN952 I received fits like a glove. I haven't mounted-up the cartridge yet to try it out.
Yep, they fit well. You on Van Isle too? I'm in Victoria.

Van_Isle
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Van_Isle » 16 Feb 2017 01:10

Yup ... same

zacster

Post by zacster » 17 Feb 2017 18:13

There seem to be more audiophiles/diy'ers on Vancouver Island than in all of NYC!

The closest I ever came was Salt Spring.

For £10, how can you go wrong? The only problem is that I really like my Ortofon Quintet Blue MC, and swapping is a PITA without a removable headshell, especially since the pins are different widths between the Grace and the Ortofon so I also have to mess with those.

zacster

Post by zacster » 17 Feb 2017 18:28

I was just looking on eBay, and it appears there are many that are spec'ed for the ATN952. Would they all fit the Grace, or is there something specific about this one? They are all cheap too, so I'm thinking that even if they fit they won't be anywhere near the quality of the Grace originals or the Soundsmith replacements. But for $15 it is worth a try I guess.

Van_Isle
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Van_Isle » 17 Feb 2017 21:38

Should be all the same.

Spurtz

Post by Spurtz » 17 Feb 2017 23:59

Van_Isle wrote:Should be all the same.
Agreed on that.

zacster

Post by zacster » 18 Feb 2017 13:47

Are there any higher end styli for the ATN952? Elliptical, Line Contact, or ?? Even for more money maybe it would be worth a shot. I'll check to see if I can find some compatibility list.

Edit: I checked this site and AT. I can't find references to the ATN952. But then I pulled out my F9E and checked the assembly. It couldn't be that hard to replace the cantilever assembly in the original green plastic mount? Not to take anything away from Soundsmith and the job they do, but they are certainly not the only ones that can do this. If nothing else, you could take it to a watchmaker or jeweler.

FWIW, I just asked Jico that question about a compatible stylus.
Last edited by zacster on 18 Feb 2017 14:30, edited 1 time in total.

Van_Isle
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Van_Isle » 18 Feb 2017 14:26

I have not seen any listing confirming an elliptical stylus 100%.

TTN seems to usually have one of the most complete cross-references out there:

https://www.turntableneedles.com/SN-45- ... _1325.html

And usually if there is or was an upgrade stylus available then Kyle will have it linked (even if it hasn't been available for a long time!).

That popular Netherlands stylus vendor also has a couple other listings ... and I do believe a few more models listed (oddly the forum software is flagging the links and even the company name as potential spam, otherwise I'd post them).

zacster

Post by zacster » 18 Feb 2017 15:14

I'm still a little dumbfounded that of all the ancient cartridges where you can find needles, you can't find any made specifically for the Grace, except for Soundsmith. It's like it never existed.

Van_Isle
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Van_Isle » 18 Feb 2017 15:24

zacster wrote:... I checked this site and AT. I can't find references to the ATN952. But then I pulled out my F9E and checked the assembly. It couldn't be that hard to replace the cantilever assembly in the original green plastic mount? Not to take anything away from Soundsmith and the job they do, but they are certainly not the only ones that can do this. If nothing else, you could take it to a watchmaker or jeweler.
That's a very old AT model ... I don't doubt Audio Technica doesn't have any reference.

There are others out there that offer re-tipping / cartridge rebuilding services. I don't think the typical watchmaker or jeweler would touch it though. It's kind of like the old story about the invoice and the chalk mark:

Henry Ford once refused to pay $10,000 to General Electric for troubleshooting a generator. He required an itemized bill. The engineer sent along the following: "Making chalk mark on generator, $1. Knowing where to make mark, $9,999." Ford apparently paid the bill.

Other than that the typical watchmaker or jeweler wouldn't have access to the parts needed.

Soundsmith of course can provide a whole new cantilever and tip and inspects and potentially repairs the existing cartridge.

There are others out there. For example, Garrott Brothers in Australia. Expert Stylus in the UK. Northwest Analogue in the UK. There's one in Washington State (he's by the way also a watchmaker). Others?

The one I have a bit of a 'hmmm' moment on is the fellow from Japan that sells re-cantilevered Denon DL-103s (and others) on eBay. It appears he is using cantilever assemblies from various NOS styli.