Stylus for Grace F9

the thin end of the wedge
jc3
member
member
Posts: 158
Joined: 26 Mar 2012 16:44

Re: Stylus for Grace F9

Post by jc3 » 20 Jun 2019 16:42

According to someone over on another site:

"I have been in contact with a Japanese hifi enthusiast who gave me his f14. He is a registered customer and they used to make new styli for their registered customers from time to time. Invitation only, high price. He told me that they would be manufactured by retired personnel. He offered me to get one when he received an invitation but I recall that the price was just far too high for my liking."

Duntov
member
member
United States of America
Posts: 62
Joined: 19 Nov 2015 15:12
Location: Merritt Island, Florida

Re: Stylus for Grace F9

Post by Duntov » 23 Jul 2019 23:26

jc3 wrote:
20 Jun 2019 16:42
If you are interested, I took some pictures of my Soundsmith stylus to show how they do theirs. The cantilever tube is smaller than the cart. so they use a tube to make up the difference. I don't know the material but it is fairly soft. I am sure they get the cantilever and suspension ready made from an overseas supplier such as Adamant Namiki or someone else.

Interesting project you have!
_DSF5031.JPG
(177.55 KiB) Downloaded 134 times
_DSF5032.JPG
(131.88 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
_DSF5033.JPG
(141.31 KiB) Downloaded 124 times

Dyolf
member
member
Posts: 34
Joined: 02 Jan 2012 17:23

Re: Stylus for Grace F9

Post by Dyolf » 31 Aug 2019 16:10

A small update on my latest effort regarding alternative styli for the F9e. Having tried the different Pioneer styli (200, 400, 1000) without getting any of the goosebumps I remembered from days of yore, I purchased an elliptical Technics replacement EPC24es in the (almost) correct color.46560
A self-constructed vice, and a Dremel with a very thin blade, resulted in a nice an tight finish, much better than expected, and way better than the Pioneer alternatives. I running at 1,8 grams, and already I'm hearing some of the good things I hoped for. Will be back with further impressions.
46561
46564
46562
46563
46559

Steen

33na3rd
member
member
United States of America
Posts: 68
Joined: 21 Nov 2011 20:25

Re: Stylus for Grace F9

Post by 33na3rd » 31 Aug 2019 19:31

Dyolf wrote:
31 Aug 2019 16:10
A small update on my latest effort regarding alternative styli for the F9e. Having tried the different Pioneer styli (200, 400, 1000) without getting any of the goosebumps I remembered from days of yore, I purchased an elliptical Technics replacement EPC24es in the (almost) correct color.46560
A self-constructed vice, and a Dremel with a very thin blade, resulted in a nice an tight finish, much better than expected, and way better than the Pioneer alternatives. I running at 1,8 grams, and already I'm hearing some of the good things I hoped for. Will be back with further impressions.
46561
46564
46562
46563
46559

Steen
Well done!

Dyolf
member
member
Posts: 34
Joined: 02 Jan 2012 17:23

Re: Stylus for Grace F9

Post by Dyolf » 01 Sep 2019 12:42

It took some steadyhanding in the matter of "dremmeling" the plastic, but two days later I'm overly satisfied with the result. The compliance of the elliptical Panasonic/Technics is identical to the original Grace stylus, and the tube seems to be spot on also. The recommended tracking force vary from the different manufactors, some says 1-1,5gr., others 1,5 to 2,0 grams. My ears and the suspension has now landed on 1,7gr. There are seriously lots of choices in this P4 stylus. Conical, elliptical, Jico, SAS, its all in the money. I opted for one that wouldn't ruin my savings if I f....d up.
Steen

noisefreq
senior member
senior member
United States of America
Posts: 946
Joined: 20 Feb 2013 20:04
Location: Independence

Re: Stylus for Grace F9

Post by noisefreq » 12 Sep 2019 17:34

IMG_20190912_112824.jpg
(99.53 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
Thanks Dyolf!

I had an extra NPS-1071 laying around and whittled it down to fit the Grace I've been sitting on.

I gotta say, this stylus fits pretty good and sounds great for what it is.
IMG_20190912_112910_1.jpg
(141.87 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
I can't wait to get this cartridge re-tipped.
After hearing it, really for the first time, all I gotta say is WOW.
The character of this cartridge with a line contact is gonna be fantastic.

Dyolf
member
member
Posts: 34
Joined: 02 Jan 2012 17:23

Re: Stylus for Grace F9

Post by Dyolf » 12 Sep 2019 19:16

Nice work noicefreq. The Jico EPS202ED can be had for an acceptable $56 incl. postage, and is my next choice for the F9.
But seriously, my cheapo $20 elliptical does a hell of a jobb, so I'm not in a hurry. Waaaayy better in all aspects than the Pioneer alternative.
Steen

noisefreq
senior member
senior member
United States of America
Posts: 946
Joined: 20 Feb 2013 20:04
Location: Independence

Re: Stylus for Grace F9

Post by noisefreq » 12 Sep 2019 21:48

Hey Dyolf,
I hope you don't mind if I pass along your revelation on another forum.
I'm just so flat impressed with your discovery.
Thanks again.

Dyolf
member
member
Posts: 34
Joined: 02 Jan 2012 17:23

Re: Stylus for Grace F9

Post by Dyolf » 17 Sep 2019 21:03

noisefreq wrote:
12 Sep 2019 21:48
Hey Dyolf,
I hope you don't mind if I pass along your revelation on another forum.
I'm just so flat impressed with your discovery.
Thanks again.
Go ahead and share. that's kinda the hole purpose with this hobby :D. If needed it could perhaps be an idea to set up a drawing where to cut the plastic. I'm seriously impressed with the sound reproduced by this replacement stylus.
Steen

noisefreq
senior member
senior member
United States of America
Posts: 946
Joined: 20 Feb 2013 20:04
Location: Independence

Re: Stylus for Grace F9

Post by noisefreq » 18 Sep 2019 01:47

I agree.
The EPS-202 is a really good fit after the surgery.

If a conical can sound this good the SAS should knock your socks off.

noisefreq
senior member
senior member
United States of America
Posts: 946
Joined: 20 Feb 2013 20:04
Location: Independence

Re: Stylus for Grace F9

Post by noisefreq » 14 Oct 2019 22:13

It's been about a month and I want to give an update on the EPS-202 stylus.
I started out rightfully sceptical using it on my less then perfect records but I've slowly been dropping it on my favorites and I gotta say...damn, it sounds good.

I like this stylus on the Technics P-23 I bought it for but yeah, it really excells on the Grace F9.

I've currently got it loaded on my AR TA where it tests out perfect compliance wise.
IMG_20191014_155443358.jpg
(77.52 KiB) Downloaded 135 times
It's my new favorite.

ripblade
long player
long player
Canada
Posts: 1097
Joined: 05 Oct 2008 19:51
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Re: Stylus for Grace F9

Post by ripblade » 15 Oct 2019 20:13

noisefreq wrote:
14 Oct 2019 22:13
It's been about a month and I want to give an update on the EPS-202 stylus.
I started out rightfully sceptical using it on my less then perfect records but I've slowly been dropping it on my favorites and I gotta say...damn, it sounds good.

I like this stylus on the Technics P-23 I bought it for but yeah, it really excells on the Grace F9.

I've currently got it loaded on my AR TA where it tests out perfect compliance wise.
IMG_20191014_155443358.jpg
It's my new favorite.
I might have to look into this. Thanks for posting!

Would happen to know if it uses a tie wire?

noisefreq
senior member
senior member
United States of America
Posts: 946
Joined: 20 Feb 2013 20:04
Location: Independence

Re: Stylus for Grace F9

Post by noisefreq » 15 Oct 2019 21:53

No tie wire.
I'm just using a $10 conical.
As stated before, there are better profiles out there.
I just used what I had on hand.

Vadim_Ru
Posts: 4
Joined: 30 Aug 2017 02:39

Re: Stylus for Grace F9

Post by Vadim_Ru » 17 Oct 2019 21:19

Hello,
I read the whole topic, very interesting. And of course Your knowledge and skills are amazing. As for the" suitable " styluses for GRACE - for F9 a lot is indicated in this topic, for F8 applicable Sony ND-150. Can someone tell me a replacement for GRACE-F6?
Thanks

Vadim_Ru
Posts: 4
Joined: 30 Aug 2017 02:39

Re: Stylus for Grace F9

Post by Vadim_Ru » 19 Oct 2019 07:42

Hello, thank you for your answer. This model has a replaceable needle, it is in the specification and can be seen in the photo.The original of the find impossible, I will try to find similar, perhaps from GE or Shure 3/7 will OK. Thank you!

Post Reply