Grace F-9

the thin end of the wedge
majick47

Grace F9E

Post by majick47 » 13 Apr 2007 23:51

I was so impressed with the Grace Ruby I couldn't pass up an opportunity to purchase another Grace cartridge, a F9E with about 25hrs on it. Sounds very close to the Ruby, maybe just a tad less high end extension but very smooth highs/mids and full/tight bass.

oldovergrad

Re-Tip Ruby Cantilever Has Arrived

Post by oldovergrad » 21 Apr 2007 04:51

After a wait of eight weeks my Grace F9-E came back from Sound Smith.

It is absolutely awesome.

I had forgotten how fast the cartridge was and how tight the bass could be.

Cymbals are crackling. Bass notes are clear and full. Voices are distinct.

Everything seems three dimensional.

Oh, and it tracks like nobody's business. Inner grooves on records that were fuzzy before now sound clear. There are fewer pops and ticks. Those that remain are generally quieter.

I can't wait for the diamond to get broken in. It should get better.

Peter, at Sound Smith, did a wonderful job.

Now the technical details.

The previous cartridge was a Sumiko Blue Point Special EVO III (purchased in 12/2006).

The turntable is a new Rega P3 with a RB300 tone arm.

I purchased his top of the line retip. This came with a new ruby cantilever and their Optimized Contour Nude Contact Line Diamond.

The cartridge is set to 1.5g VTF (Peter recommended going with the original VTF for the Grace). Alignment took about 1 1/2 hours. Most of the problems had to do in getting the overhang correct. The diamond is placed almost at the very end of the cantilever. The originial cantilever had the diamond placed back from the front of the cantilever a bit, which meant that I misjudged the overhang at first. I used the Rega paper protractor to get the cartridge in a rough position. I then used my DB protractor to fine tune the positioning.

Peter from Sound Smith was apologetic about the long turn-around time. He hurt his back and was out for several weeks.

If anyone is thinking of getting a retip on their cartridge I highly recommend Sound Smith's service.

Oh, and the best part is I had two stylus assemblies and I had him do both. Having a spare is kind of nifty

bauzace50
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Post by bauzace50 » 21 Apr 2007 07:39

oldovergrad,
A very thoughtful and complete testimonial! There are many clients of Sound-Smith showing happy satisfaction here (including with my Stanton 500E Mk II). Happy listening to you!
bauzace50

davidsss
long player
long player
Australia

Post by davidsss » 21 Apr 2007 11:51

How would a goldring replacement stylus go on a Grace F8? I ask as there is one on EBay Australia although I think it's overpriced it might go for less if he has to relist.

DS

fantasia

Grace again

Post by fantasia » 07 Jan 2009 03:01

First the Goldring Australia for the Grace F-8 is a plain Conical!!

I have owned one, It is surprising that no one else seems to have produced
a grace replacement stylus except Goldring Australia.

it is disapointing that the people over at JICO don't produce a stylus for either Grace cartridge. A SAS stylus for an F-8 and F-9 would be a good seller!!! the don't seem to want to make one. Maybe if we inundated them with requests that might change?????

I owned,still own an F-8l the luminal trace was the best stylus exactly what it was ie shibata i don't know. I previously had a "c" for custom i think the "L " was a .2x.7 mil elliptical. it performed better than the "C".

I eventually had the F-8 re tipped by the old Garrotts at the time it was cheaper than a new Grace stylus. The re tipp was a Micro scanner.

Lush, etched exciting sound not grainy the best sounding cart i have ever owned. it is still playable quite worn. It was so good, it really bettered my Entre MC by quite a bit( after the entre was micro scanered)

Now if there is a stylus shank that will fit the Grace F-8 and F-9 from another cartridge, then diy stylus fit would be possible.

best Wishes
fantasia
:)

fantasia

Post by fantasia » 08 Jan 2009 05:43

Some news there is a replacement stylus only some left for the F-8 which appears to fit the f-9 as well unfortunately only conical here it is

http://www.svalanderaudio.com/pickuper/ ... m?pic=http://

yeah in sweden, it appears that tonar made them!!!
they only have them for the f-8. he Joe was quoting 229 swe Krona.

I have a good rumor that some Empire stylii which like the grace have a very narrow brass shank may fit the f-8, F-9. now that would be cool

fellow grace-o-philes we may resurrect cheaply again.

best wishes

Fantasia

fantasia

Post by fantasia » 17 Jan 2009 09:23

my latest news on Graces!!!

saw a very low or new old stock F-9E on ebay for $600 Aust

the Ortfon 2mBlack does not look too extreme compared to this!!

Fantasia :oops:

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 13 May 2009 18:27

Just got a Grace F9 Ruby on eBay for $349 BIN, about 150 hours on it.
The sound? :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
I'm one happy spinner!

Cheers,
Alec

13D3Valve

Re: Re-Tip Ruby Cantilever Has Arrived

Post by 13D3Valve » 10 Jun 2009 12:07

oldovergrad wrote:After a wait of eight weeks my Grace F9-E came back from Sound Smith.

It is absolutely awesome.

I had forgotten how fast the cartridge was and how tight the bass could be.

Cymbals are crackling. Bass notes are clear and full. Voices are distinct.

Everything seems three dimensional.

Oh, and it tracks like nobody's business. Inner grooves on records that were fuzzy before now sound clear. There are fewer pops and ticks. Those that remain are generally quieter.
I am very interested. I have the rare Grace SF-90 cartridge that is an integral SME type head-shell and the 9L cantilever and diamond type.

It is not yet worn out, but it sounds as though I should send this to the Sound-Smith.

Would you say that the sound is better than with the original Grace ruby cantilever?
13D3

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 10 Jun 2009 16:26

It seems appropriate to post this here:

Cheers,
Alec

13D3Valve

Comparison Grace F9 Ruby and SF-90 integrated

Post by 13D3Valve » 10 Jun 2009 22:32

Alec124c41 wrote:It seems appropriate to post this here:

Cheers,
Alec
It seems appropriate to post this here
Cheers,
Alec
Thanks Alec, it was good to be able to compare the Grace SF-90 with integrated head-shell with the Grace 9 ruby (The SF-90 is in fact an F9, as the inner elements of the "SF-90", I believe indicate; although I don't know what the "S" could mean, "special" perhaps).
However, unfortunately my photo seems to have been deleted, which seems a pity as I doubt whether many Grace enthusiasts have seen one of these:
https://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m21 ... eST-90.jpg

I hope it stays this time, but I will try adding a link in case it doesn't.
http://tinyurl.com/mn2keh
Regards
Anthony

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 11 Jun 2009 00:39

That is a very neat package! :D =D>

Cheers,
Alec

fantasia

Post by fantasia » 11 Jun 2009 21:06

A franken-grace F-8,

is in development by me!!!

actually a plan to find some stylus that will fit
the Grace F-8 body (square shank!!) there is one!! i will reveal it soon
when i have it running currently. I have a franken-Excel es70 -HE yes a hyper elliptical!! which is producing the goods!!

The F-9 has a round shank; a solution for a "cheaper replacement"
than a $250-350 US soundsmith ruby cantilever Might be Stanton/Pickering stylus those that are MM types and some creative
plastic holder surgery!! They have round shanks!!

This has been possible by the kindness of paladin a great mentor in frankenstein cartridges, but who cares if it isn't original i will be able to runn the Grace F-8 with nice sound!!!

The SF-90 how COOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Regards fellow Graceofiles

Fantasia

Blue Angel
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Grace F-9

Post by Blue Angel » 11 Jun 2009 21:21

Hi fantasia

I've been reading your thread with interest. I have an F-9 too which soon may need a bit of work. Yes, those old Pickerings/Stantons or even Empires have cylindrical shanks on their stylus holders. The only possible 'fly in the ointment' may be that the magnets on these are smaller than the Grace original, thus output may be a bit less. (Haven't looked -talking off the top of my head).

AND, I'd like that kooky lime-coloured stylus to remain. Haven't found my own solution yet, but I'll let you know if I do.

blue angel

fantasia

Post by fantasia » 12 Jun 2009 02:13

hi blue angel,

i don't own an F-9 only an F-8 which has a square shank!! But i threw that in as a thought that i had!!! as those Stanton/pickerings have round shanks!!

i will post re the F-8 soon

Fantasia