BeEvil,

Check Cartridge Database:
Grace Series F6, F7, F8 and F9 all were Moving Magnet
Grace Series F10, F11 were Moving Coil

Ken,
Missed that auction. Was that supposed to have
been the one with the Ruby cantilever?
My former F9 Grace was definitely marked "F9E Ruby"
with a transparent red/bordeaux(?) oval stylus grip.
Seeing that the dollars the guy paid for it were heavily
inflationprone (see my earlier post) its kinda cheap!
That is, if it is a genuine Ruby stylus....

rgrds/delcam1n0

Ken

Post by Ken » 26 Feb 2007 09:05

delcam1n0

I have a Grace F9 Ruby that I adore, I still think it is the best sounding MM that I have ever heard.

The one sold on e-bay yesterday certainly looked like the real thing. (I will let you know when it arrives) :D

It was a Ruby Stylus with the red grip, still in original box.

Ken

Beltway

Post by Beltway » 26 Feb 2007 13:57

Andrew
You never said which stylus you found or where.

BeEvil

Post by BeEvil » 26 Feb 2007 14:10

Hello,

Ernie L. was nice enough to sell me one of his. I received the F-9L (Luminance Trace). I currently have it hooked up and running, but just through my receiver. Once I get back my APT Holman, I'm having it re-caped and upgraded, I'll give a proper review of it and whether or not I'll get it upgraded by Sound Smith. Right now though, I can tell you that it is as good, if not better than my Shure V15 V. The sound stage is definitely huge!! Bass output is nice as well and highs are crisp. Thanks again Ernie.

I did check the data base before I posted earlier. I just wanted to put it out there that my APT Holman manual has the Grace F-9 listed as either an MC or a Moving Ribbon cart. The settings I believe were 47 K and 100pf. Does this make sense?

Andrew

Blue Angel
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Grace F-9

Post by Blue Angel » 26 Feb 2007 18:42

Hi Chairguy

I once used the word 'snot' and I felt a bit sorry about it afterwards. So, if you'd like to say 'p#ssoff, pal' your'e welcome but your usage of the terminilogy 'elephant snot' is getting on my tits.

Cheers

blue

Blue Angel
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Grace F-9

Post by Blue Angel » 27 Feb 2007 08:27

Hi Chair

Thanks for the explanation :D I'll tell you what did it. Last winter I went down to my local department store. The chick at the checkout wore a nose ring and must have had a bad headcold as there was this substance stuck to the ring. Before breakfast, it didn't work well for me, hehe.

I acknowledge that the word could of course have regional degrees of acceptibility and if I touched on your right to free speech, I had no right to do that.

Regards

blue :lol:

Ruby

Post by Guest » 04 Mar 2007 00:02

WOW..here is a ruby variant that I have never ever seen...even the cartridge body is different ????????????/
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... otohosting

Blue Angel
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Grace F-9

Post by Blue Angel » 04 Mar 2007 01:12

Hello ErnieL

The photographer must have had the shakes as only the bottom left pic is in ffffocus :shock:

The body has the customary Grace shape but the screw turrets are open and below the mounting plate it is black instead of silver. Very nice cart, all the same. Must have belonged to a little old lady who only took it out on Sundays to go to church, hehe :lol: :lol:

blue

Re: Grace F-9

Post by Guest » 04 Mar 2007 02:18

Blue Angel wrote:Hello ErnieL

The photographer must have had the shakes as only the bottom left pic is in ffffocus :shock:

The body has the customary Grace shape but the screw turrets are open and below the mounting plate it is black instead of silver. Very nice cart, all the same. Must have belonged to a little old lady who only took it out on Sundays to go to church, hehe :lol: :lol:

blue
Yes of course your right Blue..they do have the same body..The finger grip is quite different..That makes three variations of grip styles. This Ruby is very different in style from the one Tone posted a picture of in the "Nude pics" thread.

Yes little old lady or not..Like you I'm a little skeptical and I'd be willing to bet this one is ripe for a re-tip. To bad it can't be bought for a reasonable price with a re-tip in mind...I sure it we break 300 bucks. Yikes
Chow
Ernie

helium

Re: Ruby

Post by helium » 05 Mar 2007 10:40

Ernie L wrote:WOW..here is a ruby variant that I have never ever seen...even the cartridge body is different ????????????/
That is "LEVEL-II Ruby". LEVEL-II is the improved vesion of F-8 and was unveild in early '80s.
Here is the photo of the "LEVEL-II RC(rare ceramic cantilever with elliptical stylus)" I own.
http://helium.img.jugem.jp/20070305_331574.jpg

Blue Angel
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Grace F-9

Post by Blue Angel » 05 Mar 2007 12:37

Wow, Helium

What you have is a pretty, rare beast. Wait for Ernie :D :!:

I'm pleased I kept mine all these years. Offtopic re this subject and as your home country is Japan - does an mm AT2003VX Reserved series cart rank anywhere, or an AT integrated H/shell AT23a or an mc stepup Nagatron HA-9000?

Regards

blue

Re: Ruby

Post by Guest » 05 Mar 2007 13:32

helium wrote:
Ernie L wrote:WOW..here is a ruby variant that I have never ever seen...even the cartridge body is different ????????????/
That is "LEVEL-II Ruby". LEVEL-II is the improved vesion of F-8 and was unveild in early '80s.
Here is the photo of the "LEVEL-II RC(rare ceramic cantilever with elliptical stylus)" I own.
http://helium.img.jugem.jp/20070305_331574.jpg
Hello Helium and all
Wonderful contribution to Grace history..which is sorely lacking.
..and thank you for the information and wonderful picture. WOW ceramic cantilever and elliptical stylus on an F-8 cartridge !! who knew..That just confirms to me what a wonderful sleeper the F-8 cartridge is.

I just knew that was not a F-9 but I was uncertain as I had never heard of an F-8 Ruby and the owner declared it an F-9...This is also the first I've heard of an improved level II series F-8.

Blue about the history of cartridge makers..wow ..wonderful idea. however I think that would be an encyclopedic endeavor. I would think a writer would have to narrow down the scope some what and still be able to do the subject justice. A series of books ..maybe broken down by geography(Euro,Japan,etc,) and the boutique (small quantity hand made) makers etc. What a wonderful project for a skilled researcher and writer.

I have been gathering information on stylus development. While that is a very narrow endeavor it is still a handful for someone such as myself. I have written to various stylus makers for company history with no replies as yet (shrug)...
Regards
Ernie

BeEvil

Post by BeEvil » 05 Mar 2007 13:41

So will the F-8 ruby stylus fit in the F-9 body?

Andrew

Post by Guest » 05 Mar 2007 14:05

BeEvil wrote:So will the F-8 ruby stylus fit in the F-9 body?

Andrew
I have never tried it.....

Post by Guest » 05 Mar 2007 20:00

TheChairGuy wrote:According to Ed Saunders, the F-8 stylus will fit the F-9 body. He said it might need some tacky good to adhere it snugly....but frankly, the F-9 stylus assembly needs that anyhow 8)
Fit maybe so, work as it should ?, require a tacky substance ? yikes...I don't think thats what he meant by" will it fit"..perhaps "will it work properly "

it kinda reminds me of going to motorcycle flee markets(jumbles)..You ask the seller "what does that part fit?"..they always come back with " what bike do you have"...and if you tell them ..miracle of miracles .. that part will always fit what ever model bike you tell them.

how many F-9's have you owned that you feel required something to glue the stylus assembly in place? I have had three different cartridge bodies and stylus assemblies and none felt loose...just lucky ??
regards
PS
how does that Grado sound...and how in the heck does Grado get away with selling cartridges with elliptical styli for 12 hundred bucks..jeezez keyristopher...you don't have to answer that I'm just amazed (':D')