Grace F-9

the thin end of the wedge
BeEvil

Post by BeEvil » 12 Feb 2007 19:28

Hey TheChairGuy,

I had already asked Ed Saunders about that last week. He told me didn't have any and didn't know where to get them. Hmmmm.

If he can find F-8 styli then I would like one for my F-9. I just dropped off my F-9 @ the audio shop around the corner from work. They are going to go through their stock and see if they can find a stylus. Fingers Crossed.

Andrew

bauzace50
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Post by bauzace50 » 13 Feb 2007 06:30

Hello TheChairGuy,
for what it's worth, the ADC TRX series has one notable design difference with all other ADC's. The cantilever has a tie-wire at the rear, which all other ADC's are free from.
Regards,
bauzace50

bauzace50
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Post by bauzace50 » 13 Feb 2007 12:52

Hi John,
the tie-wire is part of the suspension, to keep the cantilever from sliding out or its original alignment. But some cartridges don't have it (including most ADC's)
One design secret with the tie-wire is how it actually is implemented, so that it does not interfere with the movement of the cantilever, especially with moving coils. But that's as far as I know about it.
Regards, bauzace50

delcam1n0
long player
long player

F9E

Post by delcam1n0 » 14 Feb 2007 08:58

http://www.westegg.com/inflation/

Using the above to calculate the erosion of the dollar
by inflation (Period 1975-2005, price 1975 $215) an
F-9E would set one back well over $800 nowadays,
if available

That is real serious money for most peoples pockets!!

Chairguy:
Enjoy what you have for many years to come, treat it
with the love and gentleness it so well deserves. Having
used a 9E Ruby in the mid 70s - cannot recall the price,
but I seem to remember the equivalent of $295 - I have
to agree fully with your findings: It beat the then top
Stantons, Shures, ADCs in my setup (Grace707/LP12/
HK Citation 11/12, Quad ESLs) by a very fair margin....
It was the most "elegant" and natural reproduction of
music I had enjoyed, ever. But there might be a fair
dose of good old nostalgia in making that assesment!

Now if only we wouldn't have started this thread those in
the know might still be able to buy F9Es for reasonable
prices on eBay!!

davidsss
long player
long player
Australia

Post by davidsss » 14 Feb 2007 10:44

Looks like it's time for me to find a replacement cart for the F8 I seem to have been ignoring for 20 years. Still, I was using a Supex for most of that time which was nice.

DS

Blue Angel
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Grace F-9

Post by Blue Angel » 14 Feb 2007 19:54

Hi

Thanks for the interesting e-bay link (Edward Saunders) to the F-9 with the blue stylus you posted.

If one looks closely, something I noticed was that distinct crease at the rear of the cantilever - typical of a sideways whack. I may be mistaken with my diagnosis but if this is so, that cantilever will be useless regardless of its stylus condition as it won't be long before it breaks off.

blue

bauzace50
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Post by bauzace50 » 14 Feb 2007 21:37

theChairGuy,
adding to the ADC saga: by the time the TRX models were brought out by ADC, the company had already been sold to BSR.
Note that the next generation of cartridges by Peter Pritchard, who founded ADC and now Sonus, had exactly the same concept as the ADC-XLM, whith NO tie-wire at the rear of the cantilever.
It's easy to see how the tie-wire can introduce its own limitations and resonances upon the cantilever...and thus, affect the way the cartridge sounds. It's not surprising that the late ADC/BSR cartridges petered out of contention in the market, while Sonus units gathered editorial enthusiasm. But then, the market changed with the arrival of CD...and I have not heard about Peter Pritchard since. Wonder about him.
bauzace50

Post by Guest » 14 Feb 2007 23:09

bauzace50 wrote:theChairGuy,
adding to the ADC saga: by the time the TRX models were brought out by ADC, the company had already been sold to BSR.
Note that the next generation of cartridges by Peter Pritchard, who founded ADC and now Sonus, had exactly the same concept as the ADC-XLM, whith NO tie-wire at the rear of the cantilever.
It's easy to see how the tie-wire can introduce its own limitations and resonances upon the cantilever...and thus, affect the way the cartridge sounds. It's not surprising that the late ADC/BSR cartridges petered out of contention in the market, while Sonus units gathered editorial enthusiasm. But then, the market changed with the arrival of CD...and I have not heard about Peter Pritchard since. Wonder about him.
bauzace50
Hi bauzace50
I don't know what Peter is doing now but did he not patent the GE VR cartridge while he was at GE..Fella got around.

another question..what do you think the purpose of # 68 is in the drawi9ng..it appears to fold up in one shot and even touch the record in another?!?!?!
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/3441/68jn4.jpg

hmm now that I look at the picture in sequence it appears to be some sort of shock absorber for the cantilever..(shrug)
regards
Ernie

bauzace50
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Post by bauzace50 » 15 Feb 2007 00:40

Hi,
If Peter Pritchard worked for GE is not known to me. The interesting drawings you uploaded look, at first glance, like a reiteration of the Shure damping brush, but it could be something else. Live and learn.
bauzace50

pritchard

Post by Guest » 15 Feb 2007 01:16

I assume this is the same Peter Pritchard
..he sure holds a lot of patents ..I've found some going back to 1958..the last one which I have is 1975 with sonic research Inc., Danbury Conn.

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/628/ ... rd3ur2.jpg
http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/8321/ppvekf2.jpg

bauzace50
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Post by bauzace50 » 15 Feb 2007 02:54

ErnieL,
Goodness! So, THAT'S why General Electric did not go on developing the VR concept...Peter Pritchard left the company! Of course, he then founded ADC, with its first product, the ADC-1, and the rest is history.
The drawing you show is of the GE 1000 stereo cartridge, of which I just obtained one (NOS) from an eBay seller. So fascinating to see the patent for this audio curiosity! By the way, its rubber suspension blocks (numbers 33 and 50 in the drawing) still feel "normal", and one hours' listening of the cartridge gave excellent results...NO treble peaking whatsoever, smooth wide-range, and wide staging...coming from a "tip sensor", BUT 3-gram tracking.
Cheers, and THANKS for this piece of patent history!
bauzace50

BeEvil

Post by BeEvil » 16 Feb 2007 00:56

Hi all,

I just wanted to thank all of you in your efforts to help me obtain a stylus for my Grace F-9 cart.

I'd especially like to the Ernie L. With out him I would still be stylus less. Say that 5 times fast. :roll: So thanks again Ernie you are truly a good guy. I won't forget it.

Andrew

BeEvil

Post by BeEvil » 16 Feb 2007 13:46

Hi TheChairGuy,

Not quite yet, but soon. Once I receive it in the mail, it will go directly to my tonearm. Can't wait. I'll let you all know what my perceptions are and whether or not I'm going to get it upgraded by Sound Smith.

Andrew

BeEvil

Post by BeEvil » 25 Feb 2007 23:43

Hi all,

I have a question. Is the Grace F-9 a moving magnate or a moving coil cartridge? I just read some literature that states that the F-9 is either a moving coil or moving ribbon cartridge. I got this from my APT Holman manual.

I was under the assumption that it was a MM cart and not a MC.

Anyone know for sure?

Andrew

Ken

Post by Ken » 26 Feb 2007 01:07

A boxed NOS Stylus for a Grace F9R just sold on e-bay for US$260.00 !