Grace F-9

the thin end of the wedge
BeEvil

Grace F-9

Post by BeEvil » 06 Feb 2007 00:08

Hi all,

I need to know how to identify my Grace F-9. How do you which F-9 it is? There are several types with letters at the ends. Like F-9D.

The serial # is B8561

Andrew

Post by Guest » 06 Feb 2007 22:14

Beltway

Post by Beltway » 07 Feb 2007 01:03

No, the model no. was on the top of mine - same place as the serial number. I suspect Andrew's just says F-9.
I am pretty sure I found a site with some pics of different F-9 colour/shape plugins, but can't find anything like that now!

BeEvil

Post by BeEvil » 07 Feb 2007 04:28

Thanks for the effort guys. Do you know if there are styli available for the F-9?

Andrew

BeEvil

Post by BeEvil » 08 Feb 2007 00:03

You know, it would be a huge shame if there is no replacement stylus for the Grace carts. These are supposed to be very good. Why isn't anyone making replacement stylli for these?

I fear that the F-9 is now a rare and endangered species, soon to be extinct. Are there others out there that have already gone the way of the Dodo and now long forgoten?

Too bad. This will be a huge loss for all audiophiles. Regretably, probably one that could have been avoided.

Andrew

Grace

Post by Guest » 08 Feb 2007 00:58

No one is making replacement styli for the Grace...If you have one all ready your best option is to get it re-tipped..I had mine done by sound smith here in the US.

I think the reason for the lack of a replacement stylus might be related to the low production number of the Grace F-9 series. It's not like they were producing them like AT,shure or Ortofon etc.

At the moment I have two cartridge bodies and three stylus for the Grace F-9 series. Its likely that that is all I will ever have. The last two ebay auctions for grace cartridges and replacement stylus reached new hights..at least you will never lose money owning a Grace.

Did you ever identify your Grace model. Did you check out the cartridge data base. also this web site has a grace brochure you can down load.

here are the three styli that I own..two are F-9E's(green) and one is an F-9L

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/1907/3sgf9nj6.jpg

BeEvil

Post by BeEvil » 08 Feb 2007 13:30

Hi Ernie L,

Unfortunately I don't have the stylus. The F-9 was thrown in to a deal for other audio equipment sans the stylus. The guy couldn't find one either. He said that the stylus he used with the F-9 was the Ruby. But I am going to refuse to give up. One way or another I will revive this wonderful cart and bring it one step further away from extinction.

Andrew

Blue Angel
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Grace F9

Post by Blue Angel » 08 Feb 2007 14:01

Hi ErnieL @beevil

I have a Grace F9 with a stylus holder similar to Ernie's last pic (green).

I am writing under correction but as far as I know, the Grace carts never came with a ruby cantilever. Am I right? So the cart's previous owner could NOT have used it with a ruby cantilever, unless he had it fixed by Soundsmith or elsewhere before.

Another thing: there was some association between Grace and Supex. I may be mistaken but I read somewhere a long time ago that there were 2 Sugano brothers in the 70/80's. The one brother Yoshiaki Sugano - made the Supex carts (later Koetsu) and that his brother made Grace arms and the F9.

My own F9 btw - is still resting. At some stage or other, I'll probably fit a ruby FG11 Gyger to hear what's up.

Can anyone shed some more light on this cartridge lore for the sake of being historically accurate? Maybe VE member Yosh?

Lastly, I also have two Supex mc carts from the same era. IMO they came out of the same 'kitchen' as the materials and body finishes used are identical to the Supexes.

blue

Re: Grace F-9

Post by Guest » 08 Feb 2007 15:26

BeEvil wrote:Hi all,

I need to know how to identify my Grace F-9. How do you which F-9 it is? There are several types with letters at the ends. Like F-9D.

The serial # is B8561

Andrew
there is nothing further to identify..The f-9's cartridge bodies are all the same except for different color variations. its the stylus and cantilever fitted that make one model different from another.

you have a grace F-9 cartridge body..if it had the elliptical stylus and alloy cantilever with the green finger grip its a F-9E...with ruby cantilever its a F-9R AKA Ruby.

Yes Blue Angel there really was a Ruby cantilevered Grace F-9..rare as hens teeth I'm afraid. I've seen pictures but thats all.

If I was you BeEvil ..first I would change my handle to something less demonic and then I would purchase a broken stylus and have it re-tipped or keep an eye out for a replacement stylus,,they come up on ebay occasionally..

titou1

Grace Ruby cantilever

Post by titou1 » 08 Feb 2007 16:22

Hello !,

Pics of the ruby cantilever for the Grace F9 body :

http://www.hiboox.com/vignettes/0607/d37e22b3.jpghttp://www.hiboox.com/vignettes/0607/80d86ec7.jpg

No, I don't have one... :( .

Regards,

Toan.

BeEvil

Post by BeEvil » 08 Feb 2007 16:33

Hi all,

Ernie L. About my "handle". It's actually my last name. Bevil. Even my license plate is BE EVIL and my wife's plate is EVN EVLR. LOL. All my friends call me that. It's my nickname. Not because I'm evil, because it's my name.

Hope this clears things up.

Thanks for the photos Toan. Wish I had a Ruby stylus to go with my F-9. Oh well, guess I'll have to be happy with my Shelter 501 II.

Andrew

Blue Angel
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Grace F9

Post by Blue Angel » 08 Feb 2007 18:46

Thanks guys. It's hell to be ignorant, hehe :D

@ ErnieL The green with the red goes rather nicely. maybe it is time to do the job :?: As I'm writing, curiosity got the better of me and collected the F-9 from the vaults. The number handwritten on it is 81699 and to my surprise, I saw I already replace the cantilever and stylus with an alloy Gyger FG11.

Memories came flooding back and I remember now that I repaired it this way because the old cantilever tip was split - probably by corrosion and playing wet records by the previous owner. Idiot.

Thanks for the pics, Toan!

blue :D

Re: Grace F9

Post by Guest » 08 Feb 2007 22:27

Another thing: there was some association between Grace and Supex. I may be mistaken but I read somewhere a long time ago that there were 2 Sugano brothers in the 70/80's. The one brother Yoshiaki Sugano - made the Supex carts (later Koetsu) and that his brother made Grace arms and the F9.

Lastly, I also have two Supex mc carts from the same era. IMO they came out of the same 'kitchen' as the materials and body finishes used are identical to the Supexes.

blue
Interesting connection Blue..You gave me more history of the Grace cartridge in one sentence than I have been able to find in 6 months of searching on the web!! thanks

I went to the cartridge data base and looked at the Supex cartrdiges. they indeed do appear to be kissing cousins to the Grace.. and I can see the progression to the Koetsu as well... perhaps the Grace lineage lives on after all...
regards
Ernie

davidsss
long player
long player
Australia

Post by davidsss » 08 Feb 2007 23:00

Supex and Grace related? Now that has to be more than a coincidence. When I bought my Micro TT second hand about 20 years ago it came with a Supex MC cart and a Grace MM cart. The Supex is in a box now replaced by an Ortofon and I think it's pretty dead, the Grace is still in the spare headshell but I don't know what it is - it just says Grace on it. Maybe I should take a pic and see if anyone knows, or pull it out of the headshell and see if there is any info there - although ti does look like the F9 and has a clear styli.

DS

Post by Guest » 09 Feb 2007 00:46

davidsss wrote:Supex and Grace related? Now that has to be more than a coincidence. When I bought my Micro TT second hand about 20 years ago it came with a Supex MC cart and a Grace MM cart. The Supex is in a box now replaced by an Ortofon and I think it's pretty dead, the Grace is still in the spare headshell but I don't know what it is - it just says Grace on it. Maybe I should take a pic and see if anyone knows, or pull it out of the headshell and see if there is any info there - although ti does look like the F9 and has a clear styli.

DS
just look at the belly(record side) of the cartridge..it should say F-9..
http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/3821/sidevc7.jpg