91 to 100
0%
101 or more
1%

Total votes: 993

bdumon

Re: How many cartridges do you have?

Post by bdumon » 07 Sep 2018 19:00

I have a Technics SL-220 that I bought off of E-Bay. It came with 3 Audio-Technica stylus but I want to upgrade the cart. I had the same table in high school and I had a Grado Cart but I don't remember which one. What would you suggest for less than $100?
Thanks

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 08 Sep 2018 02:04

bdumon wrote:I have a Technics SL-220 that I bought off of E-Bay. It came with 3 Audio-Technica stylus but I want to upgrade the cart. I had the same table in high school and I had a Grado Cart but I don't remember which one. What would you suggest for less than $100?
Thanks
Just curious, but what was the EXACT model of the cart that was on it? :-k

oldschool1955

Post by oldschool1955 » 10 Sep 2018 00:39

Stanton 881S with a D81S low hour stylus also have a JICO Shibata stylus I recently bought direct from JICO as a backup.
Pickering XSV-3000 with low hour original stylus
Pickering XSV-3000 body I plan on installing an NOS D4500S stylus when I get time to try out.

jim_newland

Post by jim_newland » 24 Sep 2018 02:53

I currently have a Grado gold.a Shure V15 type 5,Shure V15 type 3,Shure M92

watchnerd

Post by watchnerd » 30 Sep 2018 17:26

How the heck do you guys find time to listen to that many cartridges?

I can barely keep 3 in any kind of reasonably frequent rotation....

And some of you have 10 or more...or many many more...

78Shellac
United States of America

Post by 78Shellac » 04 Oct 2018 15:08

I’ve sold off all but one spare, but have enough TTs to cover and listen to 6.

In order of msrp low to high

Shure M97 variant with Shure 78N stylus on a Dual 1009 SP

Ortofon TM-40H P-Mount on a Technics SL-QL1

VAS Nova (custom model not in the general lineup) on a VPI Classic 3SE

Lyra Delos on an LP12 with Kore & Ittok

Ortofon Cadenza Bronze on a Levinson No. 515

Lyra Kleos on an LP12 with Radikal, Keel and Ekos SE

Lyra Etna soon to be on the Levinson in place of the Cadenza Bronze

What I find is that the best sound makes the others less attractive. This is a classic case of the best being the enemy of the good. So I migrate to listen to the LP12 w/Kleos. The Shure / Dual combo is my only option for old 78s. Those two see the most use.

That may change with the impending cartridge swap on the Levinson.

WanderingAlbatross

Post by WanderingAlbatross » 06 Oct 2018 05:21

I voted four, even though I am still waiting for my newest (fourth) one: Sumiko Pearl :) Of the others, only the Ortofon Red 2M is good.

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 06 Oct 2018 17:41

watchnerd wrote:How the heck do you guys find time to listen to that many cartridges?

Well, when you collect and/or rehab enough turntables over the years, they just come! Plus, most of us are probably nuts, as well...At least, I'M not afraid to admit it!! :crazy: You have to be a certain amount of "nuts" to get into this hobby in the first place, because it can be a deep, deep rabbit hole really fast!! #-o

It is fun, though, to hear the sonic differences between various cartridges and styli and just try new stuff once in a while...As long you KEEP IT IN FUN, you'll be OK...

watchnerd

Post by watchnerd » 06 Oct 2018 17:53

vinyl master wrote:
watchnerd wrote:How the heck do you guys find time to listen to that many cartridges?

Well, when you collect and/or rehab enough turntables over the years, they just come! Plus, most of us are probably nuts, as well...At least, I'M not afraid to admit it!! :crazy: You have to be a certain amount of "nuts" to get into this hobby in the first place, because it can be a deep, deep rabbit hole really fast!! #-o

It is fun, though, to hear the sonic differences between various cartridges and styli and just try new stuff once in a while...As long you KEEP IT IN FUN, you'll be OK...
Is the hobby collecting records?

Or is the hobby collecting things that play records?

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 06 Oct 2018 18:09

watchnerd wrote:
vinyl master wrote:

Depends...Maybe it's both...Funny thing is...Everywhere I go to BUY records, someone always says, "Oh! I have this thing you might be interested in that PLAYS records..." Sometimes, if I'm looking at something else, say another piece of equipment, a guy asks if I'm into turntables...And sure enough, I have to look...And on occasion, if the price is right, they follow me home...It's a bad habit! #-o

Sometimes, it's the other way around...When I bought my reel-to-reel player, cassette deck and receiver combo over the summer, the daughter selling that stuff from her deceased father asked if I wanted to go through her dad's record collection at the same time...So, I couldn't resist buying a few of his records, too...

Usually, where there's records, there's a player not far away and vice versa...Sometimes, all you have to do is ask! :D

I'm of the unusual camp in that I like collecting both! 8-[

watchnerd

Post by watchnerd » 06 Oct 2018 18:15

vinyl master wrote:
watchnerd wrote:
vinyl master wrote:

Depends...Maybe it's both...Funny thing is...Everywhere I go to BUY records, someone always says, "Oh! I have this thing you might be interested in that PLAYS records..." Sometimes, if I'm looking at something else, say another piece of equipment, a guy asks if I'm into turntables...And sure enough, I have to look...And on occasion, if the price is right, they follow me home...It's a bad habit! #-o

Sometimes, it's the other way around...When I bought my reel-to-reel player, cassette deck and receiver combo over the summer, the daughter selling that stuff from her deceased father asked if I wanted to go through her dad's record collection at the same time...So, I couldn't resist buying a few of his records, too...

Usually, where there's records, there's a player not far away and vice versa...Sometimes, all you have to do is ask! :D

I'm of the unusual camp in that I like collecting both! 8-[
Where are you buying your records?

I've never been in a record store and been offered a turntable, cart, etc.

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 06 Oct 2018 18:37

watchnerd wrote:

Well, it's not necessarily the record stores where the "record action" is, but through private sales, Craigslist ads, flea markets, antique shops, etc. In fact, I called up a guy about a receiver the other day and he mentions that he needs to "thin the herd" of a few speakers, so I might have to have a look at those, too...I'm just waiting for a callback...Sometimes, you just don't know...When I bought my Technics CD player from a guy out here in Berkeley, MI, he threw in this linear turntable for free, if I wanted to play around with it...

When you're offered stuff like this, how can you say no? 8-[

78Shellac
United States of America

Post by 78Shellac » 07 Oct 2018 18:29

Barnes & Noble, Books a Million, Brian’s Home Theater (in Northwest Nashville) all sell both records and turntables with cartridges. However, to my ear, the offerings at B&N and BAM are just like the old Gillette idea to “give ‘em the razor and sell ‘em the blades.” They’re strictly entry level.

FWIW, the Etna did displace the Cadenza Bronze from the Levinson 515. It’s a serious step up from the Kleos here too. I hate when this happens. Now I need to compare Etna to Atlas. Sigh....

watchnerd

Post by watchnerd » 07 Oct 2018 18:43

78Shellac wrote:Barnes & Noble, Books a Million, Brian’s Home Theater (in Northwest Nashville) all sell both records and turntables with cartridges. However, to my ear, the offerings at B&N and BAM are just like the old Gillette idea to “give ‘em the razor and sell ‘em the blades.” They’re strictly entry level.
Entry level is being kind. Crosley Cruisers, available at B&N for $89, are terrible.

https://prodimage.images-bn.com/pimages ... 50x406.jpg

watchnerd

Post by watchnerd » 07 Oct 2018 18:46

vinyl master wrote:
watchnerd wrote:

Well, it's not necessarily the record stores where the "record action" is, but through private sales, Craigslist ads, flea markets, antique shops, etc. In fact, I called up a guy about a receiver the other day and he mentions that he needs to "thin the herd" of a few speakers, so I might have to have a look at those, too...I'm just waiting for a callback...Sometimes, you just don't know...When I bought my Technics CD player from a guy out here in Berkeley, MI, he threw in this linear turntable for free, if I wanted to play around with it...

When you're offered stuff like this, how can you say no? 8-[
Well, after you've played with it for 2 or 3 records to get a sense for how it works, then what?

Do you bother trying to build a system around it, or does it get disconnected and put in a closet?