Shure VN5MR stylus gone?

the thin end of the wedge
boco

Shure VN5MR stylus gone?

Post by boco » 16 Mar 2006 01:59

I just ordered a Shure VN5MR stylus (for V15VMR, Ultra 500, VST-V) and asked the dealer to check into factory stock, they tell me that "Shure is out of stock and not talking". Fortunately they had their own stock and shipped it.

In my shopping around, I found this listing on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 7391296423

which includes the comment "We just bought all Shure stock of 35 on 3-14-06", and a price of $160, was formerly $116.

Anyone know what's going on here? I figured Shure stopped making these a while ago, certainly before V15VxMR was discontinued, looks like their inventory is now gone.

boco

VN5xMR also gone?

Post by boco » 16 Mar 2006 02:25

Oh no - VN5xMR inventory is also gone?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 7398773323

Seller claims, "We just bought all Shure stock of 35 on 3-14-06", same as for VN5MR.

End of era V, how sad.

bauzace50
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Post by bauzace50 » 16 Mar 2006 03:23

Indeed, too bad the V15V and the newer "x" version are not manufactured any more. And that is a telling comment on the market. I feel lucky to have one original V15V, with a brand-new stylus.
The market is king.
Regards,
bauzace50.

gleichnerr

Post by gleichnerr » 16 Mar 2006 05:05

Amen, Carlos -

I guess that both of us will have to be EXTRA CAREFUL with our new styli (especially when it comes to leaving them in the path of "hurricane wifey"!)

[Either that, or wait until the price goes up even more (shouldn't take long) and use the profits to buy some even better stuff.]

On pins and diamond-tipped needles in Cream City,

soulmerchant
Switzerland

Post by soulmerchant » 23 Mar 2006 15:08

why not try convicing your wife to spring for your replacement cartridge?
Maybe she would remember what happened to the old one quicker...

She could pay for it with her credit card too (unless that gets paid out of a joint account - can't help you there).

Downside is that she might want you to help her clean in the future...

Actually, if you are really horrible at cleaning, you could offer to help clean in the future to help avoid a similar disaster...

Then she may want to pay for your cartridge...

Worth a shot in my opinion. I like the Red Green advice you gave at the top of this thread by the way...

Russellc

Post by Russellc » 25 Mar 2006 15:19

I also saw that ebay post. Shure stated when they discontinued the V15VxMR that the stylus would be available for 5 years. I guess not. the ebay listing states something to the effect that once his are gone thats it...which is BS. Several suppliers have them, as well as another ebayer, who sells them cheaper...185 compared to the other guys 225. Jacks still has some at 159, but the one I bought I am very leery of. Its cantileer is rides somewhat lower, and when I first installed it and viewed it under magnification, it had a dust glob on the end of it! I contacted them and inquired about the possibility of receiveing a used stylus, they said it was impossible. I contacted shure to see if maybe they tested them or something, but received no response. subsequent purchases of replacements styli for the V15Vxmr arrived with no dust glob and cantelever at the same position as the original. Needle doctor has styli for it as do several others. The 225 price ebayer statement is not accurate, yu may not be able to get them from shure, but there are stocks out there. I have two spares and will soon purchase another. How long do these styli last? what sort of life do you guys get from the V15Vxmr?

Whoo[ps, I just saw you are talking about the"VN" version not the V15Vxmr's "VN5" version. The same guy sells both. My comments were mistakenly directed at that stylus, sorry.

Russellc

Russellc

Post by Russellc » 25 Mar 2006 15:24

gleichnerr wrote:Amen, Carlos -

I guess that both of us will have to be EXTRA CAREFUL with our new styli (especially when it comes to leaving them in the path of "hurricane wifey"!)

[Either that, or wait until the price goes up even more (shouldn't take long) and use the profits to buy some even better stuff.]

On pins and diamond-tipped needles in Cream City,
As you can see in my signature, I also use the AR's The turntable w/ the shure V15Vxmr, and if you ever wondered, the Merrill/Scillia mods take the table to a whole new level. The replacement tonearm was a real eye opener. If you prefer to leave it stock, I would at least contemplate replaceing the studs with Scillias extended ones, along with the linn springs and grommets.
Much improved suspension and bounce.

Russellc

boco

Update - VN5MR Shure warranty service

Post by boco » 27 Mar 2006 22:02

The VN5MR I received from the dealer had an out-of-line cantilever, so I sent it in to Shure for warranty exchange. Two I purchased in 2004 from Shure under the now-ended $50 out-of-warranty exchange had the same problem, fortunately they still had plenty of stock and replaced them with two straight ones.

Barbara Laboy called me today to tell me that she is sending me the last VN5MR in their service stock, presumably Shure warranty exchange is now not avaiiable for VN5MR.

Perhaps some service stock is still available for VN5xMR but I wouldn't count on it.

I guess I'll have to nurse the ones I have, make sure to play only clean records and clean the stylus VERY carefully and only when necessary. My 1983 US-made stylus is worn (micro-ridge is almost gone, some sibilance on inner grooves) and rides lower than the new ones but the cantilever is perfectly straight.

I recently bought a S0TA Sapphire (incorrectly spelled to get around the silly filter at this forum, guess the admin here is pissed about their assertion of copyright on manuals) with Sumiko FT-3, and after I'm finished with its refurbishment I'll finally get an MC cartridge for it, probably AT-OC9, about time I guess. It came with a Sumiko Alchemist S HOMC, I'll remount it for comparison but I expect too much treble, the VTA was set heavily tail-down. The Thorens TD125-II/Infinity Black Widow is a good platform for the V15VMR anyway, good enough for vinyl-CD transfers.

Fassi
Luxembourg

Re: Shure VN5MR stylus gone?

Post by Fassi » 13 Oct 2019 22:15

We are now on 2019 and still looking after the last Original replacement stylus for the Shure V15 VMR, but it will be easier to find the holy grale ...

audiodk

Re: Shure VN5MR stylus gone?

Post by audiodk » 13 Oct 2019 23:02

If you do find an original, most likely the suspension will be shot.