Nagaoka Stilton TS-10

the thin end of the wedge
warrengsmith

Nagaoka Stilton TS-10

Post by warrengsmith » 01 Feb 2006 03:30

Can anybody tell me anything about the spec. of the Nagaoka Stilton TS-10 cartridge please? Is it similar to the Nagaoka MP10 with regards to VTF?

I purchased it back in the early 1990's when I lived in the UK. I now live in the USA and my mint Systemdek IIX along with Rega RB250 and above mentioned cartridge has just come out of 9 years of storage. I have everything I need to get it all going except the specs. for the cartridge.

Theoretically, everything should be set the way it was when it went into storage all those years ago, but I'd like to re-check.

Thanks to anybody able to help me out.

redmini

stilton

Post by redmini » 01 Feb 2006 05:52

Stilton did solid body mods to cartridges essentially to beef up their rigidity. I had a Stilton modded AT OC9 which was a ripper. The Stilton Nagoka MP10 used the standard spherical stylus, can't recall if the stylus fixing was altered at all, with mid compliance but the body was made a little heavier by the mods. Output was standard for a MM. I believe reco VTF was 1.8 - 2.1g The MP stands for moving permalloy as the pole piece is made of Permalloy.

Post by Guest » 01 Feb 2006 08:48

hi,

I have a IIX and RB250. At one point it had a Stilton AT9E fitted.

The specs of the AT moving coil were identical to the standard version.

I've also had an MP10 in my time. If my memory is correct it will have
a pronounced downtilt to its response, giving very warm tonality.

The MP11 and MP11 boron styli should fit.

Alternatively (in the States) the Grado Black is a budget bargain.
Other possibilities are the Denon DL110 and AT440ML amongst others.

You can search on my id for some tuning tips for the IIX.

Dave_2002

Post by Dave_2002 » 01 Feb 2006 10:40

Why do I have a feeling that you can't replace the stylus on these TS modded Nagaokas?

Either way, as said, I'm sure the technical specs are exactly the same as the original cartridge. If you can change the stylus upgrading to the elliptical MP-11 or MP-11 Boron stylus should give a very appreciable upgrade. I'm a Nagaoka fan but you might want to consider a new cartridge though?

nat
long player
long player

Post by nat » 01 Feb 2006 13:22

My memory is that pictures of the stiltons had the stylus assembly bolted to the cartridge, and that it could be replaced simply by removing the bolt.

Post by Guest » 01 Feb 2006 14:23

chipman

Post by chipman » 02 Feb 2006 02:12

Will have to dig out my old '80s Hifi choice cartridge test mag...if I can still find it!

If I remember correctly, the Stiltons as mentioned earlier were mechanical upgrades involving a reinforced body and a GLUED stylus assembly which would make changing the stylus a wee bit tricky.

warrengsmith

Post by warrengsmith » 02 Feb 2006 02:56

I would appreciate any information at this point....the internet search engines are not pulling back to much info about this cartridge.

I remember that it sounded great 9 years ago...I have no reason to suspect that the stylus will need replacing right away since it sounded fine the last time I heard it and I don't see how storing it would have any adverse affect on it.

According to the cartridge database, the Stilton TS-11 was a Samarium cobalt magnet. Ken Proctor prepared Nagaoka MP-11. The generator assembly was removed, potted and remounted into a solid milled aluminum body. 3 point mounting. This sounds to me what I thought the Stilton TS-10 was also. The Stilton TS-11 had a VTF of 2.0gm-2.5gm, while the original Nagaoka MP10 had 1.8gm-2.3gm.

If nobody manages to find out anymore info, I'll start at 2.0gm and go from there.

Thanks for all your replies so far! :)

Audiophilewannabe

Post by Audiophilewannabe » 03 Feb 2006 19:41

Heres a mp-11 stilton that was on Ebay recently , wish i had bid on it , i take it the round bit is the stilton mod :roll:

https://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/m ... 62_1_b.jpg

Ps , if anyone knows where to get a cheap mp-15 stylus , let me know , i killed mine a while back , while polishing my linn :oops: :cry: