the thin end of the wedge
Mark E Smith's Dentist
long player
long player
Laos

SME Series II Grommets

Post by Mark E Smith's Dentist » 24 Jan 2006 17:45

Hi all,
The maker of my turntable recently sold me an SME 3009 series II non improved which he'd modified by cropping the armtube and adding an internally damped straight stainless armtube which brought it up to 12". He made a spacer to fit it to the deck but didn't supply grommets. He reckons they stifle the sound and I should just bolt it down hard.
What do y'all think? Currently it's bolted to the corian spacer and the slate armboard.
Pics:

Jon

bastlnut
long player
long player

Post by bastlnut » 24 Jan 2006 17:54

hallo Jon,

looks intersting, how does it sound?
i think it is ok with out the rubber grommets, as he damped the armtube. this was the reason for the grommets in a standard arm, the resonance damping. the corian damps too.

the proof is in the pudding, if it isn't broke.....

regards,
bastlnut

Mark E Smith's Dentist
long player
long player
Laos

Post by Mark E Smith's Dentist » 24 Jan 2006 20:48

bastlnut wrote: the proof is in the pudding, if it isn't broke.....

regards,
bastlnut
I've never really applied that philosophy to hi-fi, I'm always wondering if it'll be better if I just...... Trouble is I sometimes end up crying over a broken something :oops:

The arm sounds.... violent. It's made music bigger and more dynamic than it sounded with the modded 9" Sansui unipivot I was using before. I still think there's scope for improvement - I plan to try it without the fingerlift and with a better cartridge clamping arrangement. I also want to experiment with mats. The Sound & Vision show is in my hometown next month, hopefully there will be something interesting there. Looking at the website it looks like there's a lot more vision than sound.

bastlnut
long player
long player

Post by bastlnut » 24 Jan 2006 21:32

jon tiltman wrote:.....The arm sounds.... violent. It's made music bigger and more dynamic....
hi,

>>>the arm sounds violent! <<<......... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

this is definitly in the right direction. \:D/

i agree that a more stable cartridge mounting will make a difference, just don't make it too heavy....alu would be good, or even wood :-s

tweaking does a lot, but you got the arm from a master tweaker. i think that a really good cartridge will be the best improvement you could make with the quality you have now.

you are on your way! i like what you have!

regards,
bastlnut

audioorigami
long player
long player
Scotland

Post by audioorigami » 24 Jan 2006 23:36

hi guys
nice job
how much weight to u need at the rear#? (standard is near 80-100grams...so im guessing about 200 grams all in?)

the wee grommets are available from sme still

best wishes
j7

Mark E Smith's Dentist
long player
long player
Laos

Post by Mark E Smith's Dentist » 25 Jan 2006 21:36

audioorigami wrote:hi guys
nice job
how much weight to u need at the rear#?
Thanks J7, from you that's a real compliment. I'll tell Richard (the maker) when I see him next.
I checked the weights and they're 120g and 66g. They're held on with grub screws so a bit fiddly to get the VTF exactly right.
I'd love a new cart but can't really afford it atm. I have an OC9 sans cantilever - anyone recommend someone to fix it?

Jon

bastlnut
long player
long player

Post by bastlnut » 25 Jan 2006 21:59

hi jon,

i use herr Lukaschek @ benz micro a lot. then again, it is easy for me, being in switzerland. he has replaced quite a few cantilevers and diamonds for me.

regards,
bastlnut