new mc cartridge, opinions please!

the thin end of the wedge
padego

new mc cartridge, opinions please!

Post by padego » 06 Nov 2005 17:55

Hi Guys
I have a benz silver mc cart on a modified rega 600 connected to a gyrodec se this in turn goes through a benz micro phono stage and into a audionote otto se. I've been happy with this but still feel like I'm missing something, given the above what cart would you upgrade to in a budget of approx. $1500.00?

bastlnut
long player
long player

Post by bastlnut » 06 Nov 2005 20:22

hi,
with your benz micro phono stage, i would look at the better benz micro cartridges. maybe your budget can strech itself to a ruby! it would work well with the rest of what you have.
you can use your benz silver as a trade in, and get a better price!
enjoy!

padego

Post by padego » 06 Nov 2005 20:41

Thanks bastlnut!
I think if I attempted a ruby my wife would throttle me! What about the L2 it fits the budget, anybody have any experience with this cart?

bastlnut
long player
long player

Post by bastlnut » 06 Nov 2005 20:56

i talked with herr Lukaschek the other day, and he recomended this cartridge to me. he thinks it is a super cartridge for its price, a real steal. so i would say it is a very good choice. i am waiting for a sample so i can listen to it. he is excited about it, so i take that as a great sign.

Blue Angel
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

New mc cartridge

Post by Blue Angel » 06 Nov 2005 23:04

Hi padego
If you can, follow bastlnut's advice.

I have survived several near stranglings. Try the following: a) Just do it.
b) Don't say anything for a while. c) If your wife comes near the tt, stand in front of it, casually. d) Don't look uncomfortable or guilty. e) Over the following few days, stand a little further away if your wife comes near the tt, allowing her to see a little more each day.

After about a week or so, she won't notice anything new on the tt.

I used this old analogue trick many times and it works for me.

Blue Angel

padego

Post by padego » 06 Nov 2005 23:45

LOL!
thanks for all the help and advice, the L2 will be christmas present to myself.
As for my wife....

padego

benz l2

Post by padego » 11 Dec 2005 17:00

Hi Guys
Just a small update/review,I got the L2 and set it up last weekend, its finiky but once up and running its wonderful, picking up all sorts of info previously unheard, I could get into all sorts of flowery hyperbole but I'll spare you, suffice to say that this is one of the best upgrades I've ever made. It says in the instuctions that you should allow 40 hours run in time for best results, I'd say right out of the box it's made a dramatic improvement!
So far I've not been throttled by my long suffering wife although she now refers to it as my "little red wagon"
Jealousy makes her nasty...

bastlnut
long player
long player

Post by bastlnut » 11 Dec 2005 20:56

toot, toot...

hallo Padego,

good for you! wise choice. i am sure the audionote 'otto SE' makes a huge difference too. your vinyl set-up was just crying out for the L2, and after the break-in period....
congratulations, just, ALWAYS show your wife the big smile on your face!

:twisted: is your 'otto SE' crying out for other speakers now? :twisted:
something real fast to make the most of the rest of your high octane equipment. :mrgreen:

regards,
bastlnut

padego

Post by padego » 11 Dec 2005 21:12

I was looking at the Zu druid site earlier.... :twisted:
must behave
must behave

bastlnut
long player
long player

Post by bastlnut » 13 Jan 2006 22:26

hallo padego,

have you seen the new stuff on the Zu website lately?

regards,
bastlnut

padego

Post by padego » 14 Jan 2006 00:12

Hi Bastlnut,
Oh yeah, I'd love the oppurtunity to listen to them but the closest dealer is a few time zones away in Ontario. Being as I can only afford to upgrade once a year at best I have to be fairly careful as to what I look at. (Thats what makes forums such as this so helpful)
I'd be interested to read if any one has had a chance to listen, in particular the Druids which I find very attractive.
Alas I've blown my budget this year on the Benz L2, rewire kit, tecno wieght and a Grado phono amp.
There's only so much I can get away with without the Mrs. giving dagger eyes :wink:

Audie

Post by Audie » 25 Jan 2006 11:54

Hi Padego,

In addition to building great cartridges, Benz-Micro back them up with great service.

Benz-Micro recently repaired my old Benz-micro MC3 with a new boron canterlever and Fritz Gyger 11 (FG11) diamond. All for the lowly cost of Euro220 plus shipping.
The service was very speedy (they repair within 10 days of receipt of the cartridge).

It arrived in a new presentation case with complementary accurate T/T level and screwdriver.

You have made a good choice.

Audie.