cartridge man - music maker III

the thin end of the wedge
blakeaudio

cartridge man - music maker III

Post by blakeaudio » 09 Jun 2005 13:37

what do people make of this cartridge?

has anyone tried it with a gsp gram amp 2 se or a vpi scout / jmw 9?

...or better still with both?

Jagged

Post by Jagged » 11 Jun 2005 15:32

I'm considering buying one of these myself. I'm sure you know they are considered to work better on some arms than others.
Can't tell you anything though until I try it.

blakeaudio

Post by blakeaudio » 13 Jun 2005 16:05

this is why i hoped someone might have tried this combination! :lol:
i had read that it liked lighter arms and so i thought that the jmw unipivot might be a good match...

Boris501

Music Maker Mk3

Post by Boris501 » 04 Feb 2006 01:33

As a Moving Iron Cartridge of low to medium compliance, it will work very well in most unipivots of low to medium mass. Thus the arm suggested will work well with it.

As to the GA2SE, yup its a very fine combination with the MM3, but the cartridge is a little expensive for the phono stage, I would move up one in Graham Slee range, or at least add a PSU1 upgrade to the GA2SE

Mark E Smith's Dentist
long player
long player
Laos

Post by Mark E Smith's Dentist » 05 Feb 2006 12:05

It's GBP624 on eBay. I don't want to hear one until I can afford it!

Jon

darkmoebius

I own the MM3 & Gram Slee Era Gold mkV...

Post by darkmoebius » 09 Feb 2006 08:24

They make a fantastic combination on my Scheu Premiere mkII table with the 80mm platter. I also have Scheu's Tacco tonearm which uses a saphire point unipivot.

You can view the rest of my system here.

As some reviews have pointed out, the MM3 and GS combo is a match made in heaven, they compliment each extremely well. At the same time, both perfectly match the strengths of the Scheu table/tonearm. Together, it is highly dynamic, authorative, revealing, and very exciting. But, not at the expensive subtlety or tonality. Percussion has attack and power, while woods have deep resonance and body. Vocals are rich and velvetey when called for.

Right now, it is toss up whether the MM3 or classic Denon DL-103D is better in my system for sheer musical enjoyment. I give the edge to the MM3 in detail, resolution, clarity, etc. Tonal colors are also more vibrant. The DL-103D is smoother and more silky while having similar authority and dynamics.

I think it also depends on the type of music being listened to. I love both the Denon and MM3 for big, bold, and brash music. They really know how to "grab the bull by the horns". I also prefer both on powerful vocal performers. Of course, this is also an area where my Grado "The Statement" excels (at 2.5x the price). When it comes to more refined material, I might give the edge to the ZYX R-100 Fuji FS cart I own.

The MM3 is also an extremely easy cart to dial in properly compared to a few of my other carts(even for newbie like me).