Difference between ADC XLM MkIII & MkIII Improved?

the thin end of the wedge
100peter

Post by 100peter » 22 Sep 2010 18:37

Dear ChairSpud,

does this mean that the cartridge body itself is the same for both MKIII and MKIII improved and the only difference is the styli?

Thanks
Péter

ChairSpud

Post by ChairSpud » 22 Sep 2010 20:56

Peter, without getting into whether you're speaking of the first or second "Improved" mentioned above I'll just say I've got both type bodies and hear no difference, could be my tin ear but Brisbane56 says his serial numbered Improved MkIII body sounds better to him.

AudioSoul
long player
long player

Post by AudioSoul » 23 Sep 2010 05:45

I have a XLM MK3 that is missing a stylus. I have been afraid to buy a new stylus for it because I don't know if the body is ok. How can you check a body without a stylus?

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 23 Sep 2010 06:18

AudioSoul wrote:I have a XLM MK3 that is missing a stylus. I have been afraid to buy a new stylus for it because I don't know if the body is ok. How can you check a body without a stylus?
You can check the coils of each channel for continuity, and a close match in measured resistance, with a multimeter.

Cheers,
Alec

100peter

Post by 100peter » 23 Sep 2010 17:36

ChairSpud, I probably meant the Improved where it identifies the new Omnipivot styli: whether this one and the original "non-improved" one has the same body and only the styli is different (not considering the hand engraved "Improved" ones)?
More precisely: on the cart database of VE there are both MKIII and MKIII Improved listed with different styli mentioned (RSX 0.3x0.7 and RXMIII 0.2x0.7) and I'm just curious if the body is the same for the two or if that differs as well?
Péter

ChairSpud

Post by ChairSpud » 23 Sep 2010 21:46

Peter, I don't make it a point to worry about the internal changes but will do my best to answer your question. As far as I know all of the changes ADC made internally (impedance and inductance) were done and over with by the time the MkII Improved was released, after that ADC used the same body for all XLM. Keep in mind though that the MkIII came out prior to the MkII Improved so may measure different than later MkIII Improved bodies. Having both non-Improved MkII and MkIII bodies and also Improved MkII's I use them interchangeably and as mentioned earlier I hear no difference except for maybe small changes in output level.

On to the stylus you asked about, it appears you're looking at two different version of the XLM, the RXM stylus is for the Integra models (s-shaped and straight) and the RSX for the gold colored 1/2" mount bodies and even though cosmetically different but can be used interchangeably.

I suggest you not get hung up on the Improved thing it will drive you BONKERS as it can mean different things and at one point was even used by ADC on replacement stylus that were no longer Omnipivot Improved. ADC must have had good reason for all their changes and seemingly endless models but now long after the fact it just seems to puzzle everyone including me. :roll:

Alain+32
Belgium

Re: Difference between ADC XLM MkIII & MkIII Improved?

Post by Alain+32 » 30 Oct 2019 20:17

Bonjour,

je suis un nouveau sur ce forum

Je viens de rebranché ma vieille chaine
Mais voilà il me faut une nouvelle cartouche phono, je viens d'aller chez mon ancien marchand qui viens de fermer son magasin depuis peu

Il m'a montré une ADC xlm mk III encore neuve dans sa boite avec le Stylus
ma question est: en vaut t'elle encore la peine en 2019 vu le problème d'approvisionnement en 2019?

il me la propose pour 60 euros, vaut'il mieux acheté celle là qui à l'air très bien, ou acheté une plus récente tout en sachant que je ne mettrai que maximum +- 100 euros?

Merci de m'avoir lu
Attachments
IMG_20191029_131303.jpg
(80.44 KiB) Downloaded 39 times

Collux
Australia

Post by Collux » 31 Oct 2019 00:19

That sounds a pretty good deal to me.
- I would snap it up!

tep392
United States of America

Post by tep392 » 31 Oct 2019 14:55

A new in box XLM will go for hundreds on ebay. 60 euros is a great deal. But you want to make sure it is a good match for your tonearm. It works best with the low mass types.

wolfie62
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by wolfie62 » 31 Oct 2019 16:11

The MKIII and MKIII Improved are one in the same stylus. The bodies of the VLM, XLM and ZLM, and QLM36 are all the same internally. Check the specs. The samples I have bear that out, after measuring the dc resistance and inductance. Time of production is the only difference. ADC wanted customers to know that the early MKIIIs had the improved square machining of the armature. Later MKIIIs dropped the Improved nomenclature.

The MKIIIs has several improvements. A rectangular, nude diamond of .4x.8 mil cross section, not square or round. The elastomer pivot block was injection molded from a new butyl elastomer compound, not die cut, the cantilever was tapered not straight, and the tip was .2x.7 mil elliptical instead of .3x.7 mil.

The only differences seem to be that the Integras had a lower dc resistance of 750 ohms instead of 820, perhaps to save a little weight. And the NAD 9300 bodies, made by ADC, was a slightly different animal, dc resistance was 860 ohms, shorter and more powerful magnet. Nude elliptical diamond and all the rest as the XLM MKIII Stylus.