Advanced Stylus Shapes: Pics, discussion, patents.

the thin end of the wedge
jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

N91ED HIgh-Track Stylus

Post by jdjohn » 15 Jul 2016 04:17

OEM stylus for the Shure M91ED cartridge. Clearly it is a round shank, and has an elliptical tip, but I can't say if this is considered bonded or not. There is a visible separation in materials at the tip, but the shank is not metallic.
N91 OEM High Track zoom out.jpg
(63.06 KiB) Downloaded 1527 times
N91 OEM High Track front.jpg
(50.22 KiB) Downloaded 1550 times
N91 OEM High Track rear2.jpg
(50.11 KiB) Downloaded 1500 times

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Re: Advanced Stylus Shapes: Pics, discussion, patents.

Post by Alec124c41 » 16 Jul 2016 00:33

That is nude, not bonded.

Cheers,
Alec

paulrenea

Post by paulrenea » 19 Jul 2016 01:30

I have an Audio Technica "Precept" from the mid 1980's. Shibata tip as I recall. I was wondering if this is a coil moving magnet cartridge since the stylus is a fixed item into the cartridge? This cartridge got quite a workout until I bought an Audio Technica 440ML. I don't remember the years when the 440ML was produced? Later on I bought a 440MLa as well. More recently i have been using a Shure V15 Type 3. All three of these carts are within the same general quality range. The 440ML might be a little "brighter" that the other 2. I may eventually need to get the AT Precept re-tipped. Any idea where to go and how much $ to get the job done?

wualta

Post by wualta » 19 Jul 2016 04:14

All the Precept cartridges with which I'm familiar are normal A-T dual-magnet (ie, moving-magnet) models with removable stylus assemblies, and the only model that, early on, came with a Shibata was the PC440. Which model have you got?

PCN440 styli are worth trying to get, but they've become very rare and pricey. Not so hard to find/get are the ATS12S and ATN12S, each with Shibata diamonds and both able to fit and work on the Precept PC440 body. Since they're all out of production, hunting suitable new-old-stock styli might become tedious and frustrating, and it might be easier for you to simply pay the money and have your cartridge retipped. Others who have experience with this will be along shortly, I'm sure. Or you could search for their posts and start your own thread.

paulrenea

Post by paulrenea » 21 Jul 2016 02:57

Wualta,

Thank you for your input.

Yes, I have the PC440 Precept. I used it a lot from 1985 until around 2001-02 mainly for recording records to cassette format. The Precept was for the most part used in a Dual 1215S as an upgrade replacement of a Shure M91ED. My guess is that the AT Precept is rated up there with the Shure V15 Type 3 and AT440MLa. I kinda wish that I had bought an extra Precept at the time, but money was tighter when I was half my age.

wualta

Post by wualta » 21 Jul 2016 18:33

A very good cartridge, especially if it has the beryllium cantilever. I say "if" because an early spec sheet I have says the PC440's cantilever is a "tapered tube". Mine has a very thin solid beryllium rod, which in my opinion contributes greatly to the good sound. If yours is aluminum, it answers a longstanding question: did A-T really change the PC440's specs that radically without changing the model name?

analogaudio
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by analogaudio » 23 Oct 2016 19:04

Bump

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst » 06 Nov 2016 20:38

This is my first real post to the forum. I did a new member intro on the Technics sub-forum since my TT of choice is the SL-10. I was listening to an Empire 875XLT at the time, so decided to image the stylus and post here. I am not an expert on stylus types, so would appreciate input on how this one would be described. Both longitudinal and lateral surfaces are radially polished, so would this be a "nude mounted, square shank, bi-radial" stylus, or something else? It's pretty cool whatever it is, and it sounds great. I was not sure exactly how to image it, so ended up doing two simple views. I tried a straight-down shot but it doesn't give much information about the polishing method.

Empire 875XLT, front longitudinal view
http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad27 ... LT_3_A.jpg

Empire 875XLT, right side lateral view
http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad27 ... LT_4_A.jpg

Would appreciate any info folks have on this cartridge as well, since I have the case and accessories but no documentation.

I plan to image several more cartridges as I listen to them, and will post here.

Ray

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 06 Nov 2016 22:56

According to this ad I found, your diamond is "...a nude 'Vital Line Contact' (or LAC Paralinear in Empire parlance) diamond..."

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst » 06 Nov 2016 23:56

BMRR wrote:According to this ad I found, your diamond is "...a nude 'Vital Line Contact' (or LAC Paralinear in Empire parlance) diamond..."
Excellent! and thanks for the link to usaudiomart, I was unaware of it...Ray

wualta

Post by wualta » 07 Nov 2016 01:46

Nifty! Thanks for the photos! Looks just like the sideways-nude-mount "tombstone" (rectangular cross-section) diamond on the end of the titanium cantilever of the ADC PSX 40, though that one is only an elliptical.

Not too surprising, since we're pretty sure Azden made both cartridges.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst » 07 Nov 2016 15:04

Here's another rectangular cross-section stylus on an Empire 580LT, but this one is rotated 90-degrees vs the 875XLT. It is described as a 0.2 x 0.7 nude mounted elliptical diamond.

http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad27 ... LT_1_A.jpg

http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad27 ... LT_2_A.jpg

http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad27 ... LT_3_A.jpg

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 07 Nov 2016 15:33

Beautiful!

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 08 Nov 2016 17:37

Yes, great images Ray! What are using to take those pics?

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst » 09 Nov 2016 03:10

jdjohn wrote:Yes, great images Ray! What are using to take those pics?
I have a fairly advanced photomacrographic setup that I put together for imaging coin varieties (mintmarks, etc). I use the setup to do both 2D high res images as well as 3D renderings. I have tried 3D renderings of styli but lighting is too difficult and it's hard to see what the surfaces really look like. More traditional 2D lighting is still way better for showing the proper shadow and highlight details to properly view such a complex shape.

If you want to see some similar setups, and images I've taken of full coins and varieties, at my website http://www.macrocoins.com