the home of the turntable

Advanced Stylus Shapes: Pics, discussion, patents.

the thin end of the wedge

Re: Advanced Stylus Shapes: Pics, discussion, patents.

Postby jdjohn » 10 Nov 2016 16:56

ray_parkhurst wrote:I have a fairly advanced photomacrographic setup that I put together for imaging coin varieties (mintmarks, etc). I use the setup to do both 2D high res images as well as 3D renderings. I have tried 3D renderings of styli but lighting is too difficult and it's hard to see what the surfaces really look like. More traditional 2D lighting is still way better for showing the proper shadow and highlight details to properly view such a complex shape.

If you want to see some similar setups, and images I've taken of full coins and varieties, at my website http://www.macrocoins.com

Wow, amazing images of those coins! My dad used to have a lot of wheat pennies and Mercury dimes that he kept from his paper route collections as a kid. But he 'stored' them in a sock that he knotted, so not exactly mint/uncirculated.
jdjohn
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby ray_parkhurst » 17 Dec 2016 04:56

Thanks John! Took me a while to see the reply for some reason.

As I have viewed and imaged several cartridges, and viewed their contact profiles vs how they are described, I am thinking that most of the descriptions are just marketing fluff. I've tried a few different ways to view the actual contact area of the stylus to see if I can verify so-called "elliptical", "line contact", etc but it's tough, and so far I don't see much correlation. Some ellipticals look more like line contacts, and vice versa. So-called hyper-ellipticals are really tough to view contact areas on. I don't own any Micro Ridge or SAS types, though I do plan on upgrading at least one stylus to SAS/S or even SAS/R at some point to see if it's worth the cost vs other shapes. I am for sure hearing the differences, though I think much of the differences are simply due to break-in after so many years of neglect. I suppose I will need to break-in a bunch of cartridges before I can really make an assessment...
ray_parkhurst
contributor

United States of America

Postby ray_parkhurst » 25 Jan 2017 05:17

I purchased a N110HE NEO SAS/S and am starting to listen to it. Quite a different presentation than the original N110HE. Both styli present essentially "perfect" playback, ie I don't hear any issues (mistracking, noticeable distortion, sibilance, excessive groove noise, etc). I need to spend more time with some reference disks to evaluate soundstage, harmonic presentations, etc, so it will be some time til I can pass any judgement. For now, I can say that the JICO stylus is simply superb, with phenomenal build quality. Here is a top-down shot showing the contact area, and an overall shot showing the stylus and end of the sapphire cantilever...

ray_parkhurst
contributor

United States of America

Postby jdjohn » 25 Jan 2017 05:47

Audio Technica ATN12S stylus with Shibata tip. This is a bonded tip. The ATS12S has a nude-mounted Shibata.
AT12Sa front2.jpg

AT12Sa back.jpg

Different lighting from the back.
AT12Sa back2.jpg

You can see the scalloped facets in the back.
AT12Sa bottom.jpg
jdjohn
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby lini » 25 Jan 2017 14:47

jdj: Just for the record, the ATS12S exists in both variations - so one will have to check with the vendor, whether an offered exemplar is nude or bonded...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
lini
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Germany

Postby totem » 25 Jan 2017 21:12

Very nice photography guy's, nice to see that pic of the new NEO SAS/S.
totem

Canada

Previous

Return to Cartridges and Preamps