My new alignment template generator

the thin end of the wedge
scho2684
long player
long player

Re: My new alignment template generator

Post by scho2684 » 13 May 2018 07:38

wolfie62 wrote:2 grids give absolute confirmation that the alignment is dead on. Keep the 2 grids!!
Wolfie, I'm not saying it should go however if you have the stylus on the radius and it aligns with one grid, than automatically it is aligned with the 2nd grid "dead on" as well.

So in reality nobody ever had to readjust to grid 2 if done correctly.
Its not a bad thing to see where the null points are, but in that sense its only a marker, nothing more...

Among the flexibility in terms of data input, the radius is what makes this protractor so easy and accurate in use, in fact its at least as accurate as most of the fancy expensive protractors out there, incl. the Feickert.

wolfie62
United States of America

Post by wolfie62 » 13 May 2018 16:14

A6F5183B-CFE3-459F-BC06-6A8568531376.jpeg
(891.35 KiB) Downloaded 1545 times
Parallax. Keep both null points to ensure that one’s angle of view is not causing an error in setting alignment.

Confidence. True alignment of one’s choosing is fully realized.

Conrad Hoffman

Post by Conrad Hoffman » 13 May 2018 19:40

Yes, two grids just for confidence. I think the read-me suggests using the inner one because any size errors will be less important, but you should still check with the outer one for agreement.

I'm sure I've said this before, but (in Yoda voice), the template generator use, or do not. That is, if you use the template, put aside and ignore any other information. It will only create trouble and doubt. :)

csricharan

Post by csricharan » 18 Jun 2018 09:52

Hello Mr Hoffman,

I am trying to use your protractor for my Technics SL2000. the pivot to spindle distance is 206mm but should I use DIN, IEC or typical? I'm a resident of Mumbai, India.

northa40

Post by northa40 » 19 Jun 2018 19:59

I would use the Stevenson A and the IEC. this will give an overhang of around 16.5mm. If the slots in your head shell are long enough, you could use the other alignment geometry if you want to play with it a bit. When using the protractor, I start with the stylus set on the arc as close to the spindle as possible and than move the arm to the out side edge, if the stylus still is on the arc you have it nailed. Now just align to one of the grids. Repeat until perfect. Good luck. Cheers

IndigoRock2001

Post by IndigoRock2001 » 06 Jul 2018 20:48

I'm new to the whole audiophelia thing, I bought a disk which has alignment grids printed on it. I found it quite easy to use, I have no idea who's system it is. It's from Hudson Hi-Fi if that's any clue. The one thing I haven't found anywhere is where in terms of cartridge overhang should the cart be? Mine is fairly far forward, but do I need to move it back? I haven't found anything to show me this adjustment which seems to me would have a fairly major impact on the sound of the cart. Actually now that I look at it it has a thing in the center of the disk that says "Overhang" with several circles and some lines radiating from the center which have different designations on them. The thing is this disk came with no instructions at all and I don't understand how to use the "overhang" componant of the disk. Can anyone help? (I'll post pics of allot of things as soon as I figure out how, I'd like some help in that dept. too.
indi

northa40

Post by northa40 » 09 Jul 2018 02:36

Hi Indigo most of the information on that disk is not very useful. The rings around the spindle are at different over hang lengths, 5, 10, 12, 14 and 15 mm. To use this guage you would have to swing the tonearm over top of the spindle and try to align the stylus to one of the lines, almost impossible to do with the spindle in the way. The useful part is the 2 grids, these will allow you to align your cartridge. to use the grids follow these instructions that are on the Hudson HiFi page. good luck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XSxBSsOrB4
An other option would be to download the ARC protractor generator and print your own. You would need to know your tonearm effective length and the pivot to spindle distance.
Again good luck

Conrad Hoffman

Post by Conrad Hoffman » 09 Jul 2018 14:12

The only disc I know of is the Geo-Disc, though there are likely others. IMO, nobody should waste a brain cell thinking about overhang. Forget you ever heard of it, for it causes nothing but confusion and misery. Any alignment method, be it a 2-point protractor or my printed alignment template, will automatically take care of overhang. If overhang is wrong, you won't be able to align to the grids.

Dmitry ZG
United States of America

Post by Dmitry ZG » 28 Nov 2018 14:04

Thank you, Conrad, for the free template!
I was surprised that my "pre-CH template generator" alignment was spot on. I had to do zero adjusting of the cartridge body from my previous alignment; it confirmed that my set-up was right on the money. And yes, the overhang figure provided by the manufacturer did not come handy.

WinstonRemster

Post by WinstonRemster » 16 Dec 2018 14:29

MMF 2.2 specs in the owners manual

Effective tonearm length: 9 in.(22.9 cm)
Overhang: .67 inch (17mm)

SO.. 212mm Pivot to spindal , overhang 17mm, effective length 229mm

To get those numbers dead on . Lofgren A, DIN, I changed Inner Null to 62.957 instead of 63.103..

Is it OK to Change Inner Null radius? or will it throw the whole thing off?

Sunwire
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Sunwire » 17 Dec 2018 01:59

It is not necessary to match the 17mm overhang in the MMF 2.2 specs.
I encourage you to read more of the posts in this thread.
The most common error users make is trying to match the tonearm maker's overhang specification. It is a waste of effort. Just ignore the recommended overhang.
It's a long read, but if you have time, just read the whole thread.
If you want it to go faster, just read the posts by Conrad Hoffman. I believe he answers every possible question at some point.
You can find (just) his posts by going here:
https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... 6&sr=posts

tketcham

Post by tketcham » 21 Dec 2018 14:15

Hi, WinstonRemster,

As Sunwire suggested, the specs you see in tonearm manuals aren't always correct and I suspect that the specs in the Music Hall mmf-2.2 manual may not be correct depending on which Pro-Ject tonearm is really included with the turntable.

The mmf-2.1 and the mmf-2.3 use the Pro-Ject 8.6" (218.5mm) tonearms as do just about all of Pro-Ject's entry level turntable models. However, Music Hall has used discontinued Pro-Ject tonearms on some of their turntables. The mmf-2.2 may be an odd lot, using the 9" aluminum 'arm which came with the older mmf-7 'table. I couldn't find anything definitive on the web.

IF your tonearm is the 9" aluminum model the correct specs should be:
Mounting distance: 212mm
Effective length: 230mm
Overhang: 18mm
Effective mass: 11g

I use the Lofgren A alignment with that tonearm and it works out nicely. And if it is the same tonearm that came with the mmf-7 it's actually a good tonearm. The bearings are excellent and the 'arm is compatible with a wide range of cartridges.

Regards,
Tom

klegier

Post by klegier » 25 Jan 2019 03:53

Thought I would give this a shot. I have a Pioneer PL-12D. I did not measure the S2P distance, but the database here says the tonearm length is 221mm. Is this the same as S2P? If not I can measure with some calipers. Do I need to change the default values in the other boxes (Radius, printer correction)?

Edit: Apologies. I went to the tools section here and saw that in fact, the tonearm effective length and S2P are different measurements.

Another question: Does anyone know what the overhang measurement is for the PL-12D?

JaS
engine room
engine room

Post by JaS » 25 Jan 2019 06:39

klegier wrote:
25 Jan 2019 03:53
Another question: Does anyone know what the overhang measurement is for the PL-12D?
Unfortunately Pioneer doesn't list it, presumably because the deck had a built in overhang checker for alignment? I remember mine was a very wobbly thing and I had no idea what it was for as I had no instructions.

Sodejuu

Post by Sodejuu » 25 Jan 2019 08:33

The PL-12D has an Overhang "help" build in and it is really accurate. You just stick to the "help" at the front of the player. Set it to the correct overhang and start aligning the cart.
If you want to know the overhang, just measure the distance from pivot to line on the "help" and distract that from 221mm (effective length)