JVC L-E5 P-Mount Cartridge Replacement?

the thin end of the wedge
Mortosaur
Great Britain

JVC L-E5 P-Mount Cartridge Replacement?

Post by Mortosaur » 14 Feb 2020 13:11

Hi all,

Relatively new to turntable tinkering but I got given a JVC L-E5 linear tracker by my girlfriend's Dad. He'd taken good care of it over the last 20-30 years and it sounds pretty good, but I was wondering if there was a way to replace the cartridge? The original cartridge is proprietary and seems to differ from standard P-mount carts in the location of its screw but searching through various threads suggest people have fitted other carts. Does anyone know how easily this can be done and have any suggestions? One forum thread I have read had a user who picked up a L-E5 with a Technics P-30 fitted. Another video on YouTube shows a L-E5 with an Audio-Technica P-mount cart fitted. Someone else suggested using an Ortofon T4P (either OMP 20 or OMP 30) but these could be expensive purchases which don't fit. I'm not keen on having to hack things apart but would like to explore potential upgrades. Happy to accept a simple "no" form the experts on here. I have read the other posts which ask similar things but they are all pretty old now.

AsOriginallyRecorded
long player
long player
Canada

Re: JVC L-E5 P-Mount Cartridge Replacement?

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 15 Feb 2020 03:15

I just very recently installed a variant of ATs AT-3482P cartridge on my JVC L-E30E linear turntable. Initial impression is very good, although only a couple of albums played on it thus far. Replacement is a little challenging, requiring a light touch and some dexterity, but not daunting. Certainly easier than setting up one of those standard arm cartridges :lol: . I purchased mine from turntableneedles.com., who I can honestly recommend. Be sure to read the "disclaimer", as there is a very similar cartridge for non-programmable linear trackers as well. This is in fact, an elliptical stylus cartridge. 8)

AsOriginallyRecorded
long player
long player
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 15 Feb 2020 05:06

:( My apologies....I scanned through a drop down list a little too fast, and spec'd an incorrect model number. Curiosity grabbed me, and unfortunately, it appears that you can only replace the stylus on that arm. Not sure how other brand cartridges were used on the ones whose pictures you saw. Not sure what othe options might exist. Again, sorry for revving you up for nothing. :(

AsOriginallyRecorded
long player
long player
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 15 Feb 2020 05:39

Looking at the manual for that turntable here in the library, it would seem that for the electrically skilled and mechanically adventuresome, the possibility to graft other similar shaped p-mount cartridges on to the end of the tonearm might be possible. Certainly not of the faint of heart (no going back) and maintaining weight and alignment specs might be challenging at best. Definitely a measure twice (or better three or 4 times)cut once kind of endeavor. I would suggest contacting the owners of those TTs you saw with alternate cartridges for advice on what they did to accomplish the surgery. I wish I could offer more.... #-o