Cartridge suggestions?

the thin end of the wedge
nicklaskarlsson81
Sweden

Cartridge suggestions?

Post by nicklaskarlsson81 » 01 Feb 2020 18:11

Heyhey.
So I have a Technics SL-1310MK2 now, and I have Audio-Technica VM540ML and Grado Prestige Gold 2 that I'm gonna try on it. The AT I had on the last three turntables I had, its good. But havent tried it on the technics yet since its currently in parts, awaiting new springs. Already changed rca on it. Anyhow, anyone has any suggestions on other mm carts to try on this table?

nicklaskarlsson81
Sweden

Re: Cartridge suggestions?

Post by nicklaskarlsson81 » 07 Feb 2020 14:29

Cant help myself. Have ordered the gold one here at the bottom: https://www.svalander.se/shoppen/tillbe ... eps-205-ex

Wanna see how good this cart is.

raphaelmabo
long player
long player
Sweden

Post by raphaelmabo » 07 Feb 2020 16:23

I’m unsure about the tonearm mass, this thread suggests that the mkI was on the heavier side of things.
https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... p?t=108351

If the Mk2 is similar to the first version, then low compliance to lowish medium compliance designs are to be recommended. So high compliance cartridges (low tracking force, soft suspension) is not to recommend.

Both the Grado Gold and A-T are on highish medium to high compliance.

The LOMC Denon DL-103 (low compliance) should work good, also the Denon DL-110 HOMC but they are MC not MM.

It’s easier to find low or lowish compliance MC’s than MM’s. But Nagaoka MP-110 or MP-150 may work. Sumiko Pearl or LP Gear A3SE or A3SV. AT-VM95 has lower compliance than thr AT5xx-serie.

Japi Roelofs
long player
long player
Netherlands

Post by Japi Roelofs » 07 Feb 2020 16:59

According to the specifications:
SL-1310MK2 tonearm specs.JPG
(17.85 KiB) Downloaded 180 times
The effective mass of 22 grams includes a cartridge of 6.5 grams, a headshell of 9.5 grams, and tracking force of 1.25 grams.
The headshell is a bit heavier than the regular Technics headshell (9.5 grams vs 7.5 grams). So if you swap it for a standard Technics headshell, the effective mass (without cartridge) will be ~ 12 grams, the same as the SL-1200 MK2 arm.

nicklaskarlsson81
Sweden

Post by nicklaskarlsson81 » 07 Feb 2020 20:00

Ah ok, thanks for the info guys. With the new stylus on the way, i can also try out the Technics EPC-205C-IIL cart that came with it.

nicklaskarlsson81
Sweden

Post by nicklaskarlsson81 » 14 Feb 2020 12:53

I cancelled the order om the stylus after recommendations from my other thread. I have been looking at these. Any thoughts on these carts?
Screenshot_20200214-134343_PriceSpy.jpg
(59.53 KiB) Downloaded 128 times

raphaelmabo
long player
long player
Sweden

Post by raphaelmabo » 14 Feb 2020 16:25

I have the Benz MC Silver which is the HOMC version of the LOMC MC Gold. It’s a smooth and captivating performer with great sense of presence and 3D if it’s in the recording. I sat it’s in between warm and cold sounding, fairly neutral and accurate with a tight, but a bit lean, bass. It excels with good recordings, but is really poor with poor recordings or substandard records. I use The Vessel with my old worn out records. :)

You can save approx 600 kr SEK on the MC Silver/Gold if you go for the simple box. This means the cartridge is delivered in a cardboard box instead of a padded wooden box, and you don’t get the spirit-level. But you save some money. 😊

The Benz Ace is like the MC Silver/Gold, but better. Same well mannered and smooth house sound with great presence. (Great reproduction of micro details and high stereo separation). Benz house sound. Works with most types of music.

The Hana is on the warmer side, so slightly more warm than Benz. This means a fuller bass and more body to the lower midband and upper bass. Not really as detailed as a Benz Ace, but highly musical. A favourite in this forum. This is the Hana house sound. The SH/SL has more details than EH/EL, but note that the Benz Ace has a MicroRidge stylus and EH/EL a bonded elliptical and the SH/SL a Shibata.

Now, on to the Sumiko’s. I would recommend the BluePoint Special Evo III instead of the No2. The Evo is simply better balanced, more detailed and more fun. For just a few extra bucks. The No2 can have an edgy treble in some setups. The Evo is smoother.

Compared to Hana and Benz, the Sumiko’s are more rock’n roll. A lively, engaging, fun sound. Warm midbass. Lots of colours.
The Songbird has the Sumiko MC house sound.

Ortofon MC1 and MC3 are both neutral, but MC3 has more energy and drive. (But not as much as Sumiko). MC1 sounding a bit boring in comparison. The MC1 is the weakest here.

You should also consider Audio-Technicas new MC serie - the AT-OC9X. It starts with the AT-OC9XEB. I haven’t heard them yet but they replace the highly acclaimed F2 and F7 entry level MC.

nicklaskarlsson81
Sweden

Post by nicklaskarlsson81 » 14 Feb 2020 17:27

Cool, thanks for your input. I listen to alot of different music, from Leonard Cohen to Watain, so i need a cart that can handle most music, and are good in separation, especially important when listening to extreme metal, or the blastbeats gets muddy and not detailed, but also in other smoother music so it wont get muddy. I have the Rega Fono Mini A2D and dont have any plan to upgrade phono stage yet, so homc is the way to go if im gonna try mc. So which one do you think is the most fitting of those?

nicklaskarlsson81
Sweden

Post by nicklaskarlsson81 » 15 Feb 2020 05:23

Ortofon mc3 turbo ordered, so guess we will see what i think about it. You think it will beat my two carts i have now, Audio-Technica VM540ML and Grado Prestige Gold 2?

raphaelmabo
long player
long player
Sweden

Post by raphaelmabo » 15 Feb 2020 07:23

nicklaskarlsson81 wrote:
14 Feb 2020 17:27
Cool, thanks for your input. I listen to alot of different music, from Leonard Cohen to Watain, so i need a cart that can handle most music, and are good in separation, especially important when listening to extreme metal, or the blastbeats gets muddy and not detailed, but also in other smoother music so it wont get muddy. I have the Rega Fono Mini A2D and dont have any plan to upgrade phono stage yet, so homc is the way to go if im gonna try mc. So which one do you think is the most fitting of those?
Sumiko Blue Point Special Evo HOMC or Benz Ace SH would be my choice. Both has great separation. I would upgrade to them from my MC Silver if I had the money. I like my MC Silver and I do like the Benz house sound, but better is always better.

Sumiko being more energetic, Benz more detailed and easier to setup. (but Benz cost more than the BP Special).

Cartridges is very much about personal preferencies, personal taste.

But you really should upgrade your phono stage. :) Those cartridges would benefit from a better phono stage. Your Rega Fono Mini is the limiting factor in your setup.

raphaelmabo
long player
long player
Sweden

Post by raphaelmabo » 15 Feb 2020 07:29

nicklaskarlsson81 wrote:
15 Feb 2020 05:23
Ortofon mc3 turbo ordered, so guess we will see what i think about it. You think it will beat my two carts i have now, Audio-Technica VM540ML and Grado Prestige Gold 2?
The MC-3 Turbo is close to the AT VM540ML. I wouldn’t call the MC3 Turbo really an upgrade even if the MC3 is a good value for money HOMC with a well balanced and derailed sound and more musical than, for example, the OM30 with a similar stylus. But the VM540 is already very good.
The Grado is different in sound, more warm, less details.

But as I said, the limiting factor is your phono stage. A phono stage upgrade for the cost of the MC3 Turbo would let both your AT and Grado shine and come through better.

The Rega fono is a fine budget choice for budget cartridges, but both your Grado and the AT deserves something better.

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 15 Feb 2020 10:38

nicklaskarlsson81 wrote:
07 Feb 2020 20:00
Ah ok, thanks for the info guys. With the new stylus on the way, i can also try out the Technics EPC-205C-IIL cart that came with it.
The Technics EPC 205 mk3 is one of the best carts ever made. I just received mine and not even tracking at correct tracking force as I have not sorted the suspension yet ( working) it is stunning.
You already own a very serious cart, maybe spend the money on a new stylus for it. You won't get a better sound from a MC unless you spend serious money.
Chris

dagfinn
Norway

Post by dagfinn » 15 Feb 2020 11:00

With Jico SAS boron/MR it should sound pretty good. Damn, I'm beginning to want one!

nicklaskarlsson81
Sweden

Post by nicklaskarlsson81 » 15 Feb 2020 11:03

Ok thanks, cancelling the order.

nicklaskarlsson81
Sweden

Post by nicklaskarlsson81 » 15 Feb 2020 12:46

Screenshot_20200215-134613_Firefox.jpg
(63.35 KiB) Downloaded 50 times