TKN5 vs TKN22 stylus for TK5e cartridge

the thin end of the wedge
69GT
United States of America

TKN5 vs TKN22 stylus for TK5e cartridge

Post by 69GT » 26 Jan 2020 19:46

Hello first post on this forum. Vinyl Engine is such an awesome resource. I'm looking for a stylus for my signet tk5e cartridge. LP gear offers a couple of choices to replace the stylus. It shows a tkn5 for $40 and a tkn22 for $129. Any experience with either of these stylus replacements? Is there a substantial difference in quality to justify the cost difference? With that said any other recommendations that would fit the tk5e cartridge? Just in case it's important this cartridge goes on my technics sl-d3 turntable. I've included the links to the stylus choices. Thanks

TKN22: https://www.lpgear.com/product/TK5E.html

TKN5: https://www.lpgear.com/product/TK5.html

2002afan
United States of America

Re: TKN5 vs TKN22 stylus for TK5e cartridge

Post by 2002afan » 28 Jan 2020 01:12

69GT wrote:
26 Jan 2020 19:46
Hello first post on this forum. Vinyl Engine is such an awesome resource. I'm looking for a stylus for my signet tk5e cartridge. LP gear offers a couple of choices to replace the stylus. It shows a tkn5 for $40 and a tkn22 for $129. Any experience with either of these stylus replacements? Is there a substantial difference in quality to justify the cost difference? With that said any other recommendations that would fit the tk5e cartridge? Just in case it's important this cartridge goes on my technics sl-d3 turntable. I've included the links to the stylus choices. Thanks

TKN22: https://www.lpgear.com/product/TK5E.html

TKN5: https://www.lpgear.com/product/TK5.html
Welcome 69GT. :)
Vinyl Engine is AWESOME. =D> Your SL-D3 is a very nice TT too. 8)
I have never ordered from this company or thought I would recommend it to anyone because their prices always seemed higher. :oops: https://www.adelcom.net/SignetStylus1.htm
But for less than 25.00 more than the LP Gear TKN22 (their 22 cost is also 5.00 less than LPG), if what they state is true that they have a limited supply of the TKN6 stylus, I believe you will be much happier than with the LP Gear choices. The TKN22 and TKN5 (a generic) stylus are bonded. Not bad but not great either. The 6 has a nude stylus which is a whole lot better. See specs.

TKN6
Replacement Stylus for: TK6E.
Can be Used in Other Signet Cartridges: TK1E, TK3E, TK5E, TK7E, TK7SU & TK22E.
Stylus Type: 0.3 mil. x 0.7 mil. Nude-Mounted Elliptical Configuration.
Tracking Force Range: 0.75 to 1.75 grams.
Recommended Tracking Force: 1.25 grams.
Manufacturer: Signet Corporation.

If you can swing it, pick up a set of the AUDIOQUEST HL-S lead wires too. I believe they also provide free ground shipping. Hope this helps.
Welcome again and keep that vinyl spinning.
Cheers,
WillO

69GT
United States of America

Post by 69GT » 28 Jan 2020 23:10

Thanks so much for the informative and helpful response. I think I'll go ahead and get the tkn6 and the leads as you had advised. It makes sense especially since the original stylus for that cartridge had a nude stylus as well. As for the technics ls-d3 I'm really looking forward to getting this stylus and putting on some of my favorite albums. I found the tt at a thrift shop for $24. It is in great shape, clean, etc and even has the original dust cover which is also in very good condition. It had the signet tk5e cartridge but the stylus was gone. I tested the tt with another stylus I had and it works perfectly. From what I've read it's a really good tt. It's amazing what you can find at thrift shops. I feel pretty lucky with this find:) There's nothing like vinyl. The sound, the feel, the artwork, the whole process, etc, etc. I know I'm preaching to the choir here. Cheers! Thanks again

2002afan
United States of America

Post by 2002afan » 28 Jan 2020 23:30

69GT wrote:
28 Jan 2020 23:10
Thanks so much for the informative and helpful response. I think I'll go ahead and get the tkn6 and the leads as you had advised. It makes sense especially since the original stylus for that cartridge had a nude stylus as well. As for the technics ls-d3 I'm really looking forward to getting this stylus and putting on some of my favorite albums. I found the tt at a thrift shop for $24. It is in great shape, clean, etc and even has the original dust cover which is also in very good condition. It had the signet tk5e cartridge but the stylus was gone. I tested the tt with another stylus I had and it works perfectly. From what I've read it's a really good tt. It's amazing what you can find at thrift shops. I feel pretty lucky with this find:) There's nothing like vinyl. The sound, the feel, the artwork, the whole process, etc, etc. I know I'm preaching to the choir here. Cheers! Thanks again
My pleasure, I hope they have one in stock. [-o< Great pick up on the TT. 8) Don't feel bad. We all preach the gospel on the virtues of vinyl here. :P
Cheers,
WillO