Hum noise

the thin end of the wedge
kobazik
Great Britain

Hum noise

Post by kobazik » 25 Jan 2020 16:08

I'm hearing annoying hum noise from speakers and while using headphones past 9 o'clock volume. Setup includes Rega Planar 3 (2016), Rega Fono MK3 phono preamp, Cambridge Audio CXA61 amp all connected to Titan Audio Styx mains conidioner.

I spent some time trying to find the source and here are my findings:

- I've tried different power plugs but it doesn't make any difference
- I've tried moving preamp and turntable far from the amp
- As soon as I plug in RCA cables between turntable and phono stage, hum starts
- I've tried reconnecting wires to the cartidge and made sure there are tight
- As soon as I touch white wire on the cartridge hum increases

I'm using Nagaoka MP-200 cartridge. Is the problem with tonearm wires or it could be cartridge itself?

Thanks

Dom

patient_ot
long player
long player

Re: Hum noise

Post by patient_ot » 25 Jan 2020 17:10

Rega uses a funky grounding arrangement where they run a floating ground through one of the RCA cables instead of a separate ground wire. That can cause problems when you combine Rega equipment with other brands.

What I would do is experiment with different grounding methods, such as running a separate ground wire from the phono pre to the amp case or something...

Collux
Australia

Post by Collux » 25 Jan 2020 17:11

SHURE -Hum in a Hi-Fi System or Turntable
https://www.shure.com/en-GB/support/fin ... -turntable

kobazik
Great Britain

Post by kobazik » 25 Jan 2020 17:53

I've ordered Audio Technica AT91 cartridge on prime. Will report tomorrow if hum exists on 10x cheaper cart ;)

kobazik
Great Britain

Post by kobazik » 25 Jan 2020 17:55

patient_ot wrote:
25 Jan 2020 17:10
Rega uses a funky grounding arrangement where they run a floating ground through one of the RCA cables instead of a separate ground wire. That can cause problems when you combine Rega equipment with other brands.

What I would do is experiment with different grounding methods, such as running a separate ground wire from the phono pre to the amp case or something...
Thanks will try that.

kobazik
Great Britain

Post by kobazik » 25 Jan 2020 17:58

Collux wrote:
25 Jan 2020 17:11
SHURE -Hum in a Hi-Fi System or Turntable
https://www.shure.com/en-GB/support/fin ... -turntable
Thanks, I went through that list before posting here :) Unfortunately nothing has helped

kobazik
Great Britain

Post by kobazik » 25 Jan 2020 17:59

I've also tried with different preamp (Mani) and hum is still there.

lenjack
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by lenjack » 25 Jan 2020 18:49

Double check tightness of all 8 headshell lead connections. They are tricky. They can be faulty, while looking OK.

kobazik
Great Britain

Post by kobazik » 25 Jan 2020 19:28

lenjack wrote:
25 Jan 2020 18:49
Double check tightness of all 8 headshell lead connections. They are tricky. They can be faulty, while looking OK.
I will double check thanks. I've used tweezers with anti static tips. When I touch the white wire connected to the white pin on cart, hum increases. Touching other cart wires don't increase the gym. Second cheap cart is arriving tomorrow so hopefully this will answer the question of my nagaoka mp-200 is faulty. I've also order earth turntable cable and will try connect ground posts between preamp and amp.

lenjack
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by lenjack » 25 Jan 2020 19:51

Remove that lead and SLIGHTLY crimp it to make it tighter. Reconnect and check again. Let us know.

Voxy
Singapore

Post by Voxy » 25 Jan 2020 23:10

kobazik wrote:
25 Jan 2020 16:08
I'm hearing annoying hum noise from speakers and while using headphones past 9 o'clock volume. Setup includes Rega Planar 3 (2016), Rega Fono MK3 phono preamp, Cambridge Audio CXA61 amp all connected to Titan Audio Styx mains conidioner.

I spent some time trying to find the source and here are my findings:

- I've tried different power plugs but it doesn't make any difference
- I've tried moving preamp and turntable far from the amp
- As soon as I plug in RCA cables between turntable and phono stage, hum starts
- I've tried reconnecting wires to the cartidge and made sure there are tight
- As soon as I touch white wire on the cartridge hum increases

I'm using Nagaoka MP-200 cartridge. Is the problem with tonearm wires or it could be cartridge itself?

Thanks

Dom
You might want to try using this?

https://www.shop.back-promo.co.uk/Mogam ... 85525.aspx

Likely issue with the cable. Email Yannis and have a chat with him.

Voxy
Singapore

Post by Voxy » 26 Jan 2020 01:53

Anyway here is a piece of advise he gave me regarding EMI noise

“ Keep in mind that the quality and effectiveness of the cable shielding cannot guarantee on its own a noise free system. Appropriate shielding will keep interference away from the inner conductors by reflecting it, and mainly, by absorbing it and conducting it to the ground. In this case, the earthing configuration of the cable and the phono stage is what determines whether such unwanted energy is being drained to the ground in an efficient way. Ideally, the cable shields are drained to the chassis ground of the phono preamp. However, not all phono preamps can handle the chassis ground with the same effectiveness. In such cases, draining the cable shields onto the signal ground instead (or using an unbalanced/coaxial cable where the shield is the signal ground) can offer a solution to the problem.”

FYI

kobazik
Great Britain

Post by kobazik » 26 Jan 2020 13:11

I've just tried connecting ground post in Rega Fono MK3 preamp to earth ground plug but it didn't make any difference. I've also tried a different brand new cart and slightly crimped the wires to make them tighter. Unfortunately none of this helped.

One thing I noticed is that when I touch planar 3 metal plate on the plinth (one that goes between tonearm and the sub plater bearing) , hum reduces a tiny bit. Same happenes when I touch the brass bearing sleeve underneath the plinth.

kobazik
Great Britain

Post by kobazik » 26 Jan 2020 13:26

Just tried to remove the tonearm and connected it directly to the preamp. No hum! As soon as I move near the the plinth and the hifi rack, hum increases. It seems like the amp which is 50cm below the turntable is causing it. There are two glass shelves and turntable is raised on a additional acrylic base. Looks like I may need to buy additional shelve module to so that turntable is even further away from the amp!

kobazik
Great Britain

Post by kobazik » 26 Jan 2020 13:49

Thanks everyone for help I will update this post once new shelve module arrives