The battle of the potential cartridge upgrade vs being happy with what I have

the thin end of the wedge
Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Re: The battle of the potential cartridge upgrade vs being happy with what I have

Post by Legrace » 24 Jan 2020 11:03

myusernamechosen wrote:
23 Jan 2020 23:55
Legrace wrote:
23 Jan 2020 20:58
Suggest you consider Rega Ania MC.
I’ve heard mixed reviews and a lot of the positive ones seem to come from people who got it with their P6 so not a lot of points of comparison
When I had a RP6 I tried several MC`s on it. Best results came with an Apheta 2. Hence the Ania recommendation, like the Apheta designed with the fixed limitations of the arm in mind. If you do opt for non Rega, suggest to keep 10hz compliance under 20 and install an aftermarket VTA adjuster for best results.

raphaelmabo
long player
long player
Sweden

Re: The battle of the potential cartridge upgrade vs being happy with what I have

Post by raphaelmabo » 24 Jan 2020 18:27

Agrippa wrote:
24 Jan 2020 03:59
Examples of brands I like could be Nottingham Analogue (since I've had one for 20 years or so), Acoustic Solid, Scheu, (some) Pro-Ject, E.A.T., Pear Audio, Dr. Feickert, Kuzma, STST and many more.
Also AnalogueWorks, they are cousins to Nottingham and Pear. Also inspired by the designs of the late Mr Tom Fletcher. Same motor, belt drive, bearing and platter as Nottingham and Pear. Only the styling of the plinth differs.

Acoustic Signature is another high mass manufacturer (but this one is not Tom Fletcher :) ). Very chunky turntables with big platters.

Hanss Accoustics too.

Clearaudio.

Thorens acrylic series, and the TD550.

Golden Note, especially Pianosa and up.

Collux
Australia

Post by Collux » 24 Jan 2020 23:32

raphaelmabo
long player
long player
Sweden

Post by raphaelmabo » 26 Jan 2020 08:45

If you overall are happy with your system and the tonal qualities of the Dynavector, but simple wants more - then you can retip it - a new cantilever and tip. The Dynavector 10x5 is a very musical cartridge. In it's latest and newest version, it comes with a Shibata. The generator is good enough to handle more advanced stylus shapes than the elliptical you have now. Soundsmith offers cartridge rebuilds, they can - for example - rebuild your Dynavector with a ruby cantilever and a low mass contact line stylus. Here's the options.
https://www.sound-smith.com/options-can ... lus-shapes

myusernamechosen
United States of America

Post by myusernamechosen » 26 Jan 2020 14:03

raphaelmabo wrote:
26 Jan 2020 08:45
If you overall are happy with your system and the tonal qualities of the Dynavector, but simple wants more - then you can retip it - a new cantilever and tip. The Dynavector 10x5 is a very musical cartridge. In it's latest and newest version, it comes with a Shibata. The generator is good enough to handle more advanced stylus shapes than the elliptical you have now. Soundsmith offers cartridge rebuilds, they can - for example - rebuild your Dynavector with a ruby cantilever and a low mass contact line stylus. Here's the options.
https://www.sound-smith.com/options-can ... lus-shapes
That’s an interesting idea, may have to consider that